Author Topic: Introducing milk again...red cheeks & respiratory issues?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Introducing milk again...red cheeks & respiratory issues?
« on: December 12, 2009, 19:00:56 pm »
Hi,

I think I made a post about this the last time we tried milk out, but here goes:

We are trying for the 2nd time to wean Spencer from soy formula to milk...last time she got horribly constipated (think rabbit pellets  :-X) so we went back to formula. This week I started adding about 2 oz of whole milk to every sippy cup and then she started getting a snotty nose, wheezy chest and has bright red cheeks today. Not sure if she's constipated...but she hasn't pooped today yet, and was at daycare yesterday and DH never asks. When she was BF she always had eczema, I never cut out dairy totally, and when I switched to formula the eczema disappeared. She does eat very small amounts of cheese and yogurt, which doesn't seem to affect her.

So, do I keep persisting with the milk? keep going with the formula for a few more months and try again?or go to soy milk (does it have enough fats for her age???)

TIA  :)
Heidi

scarlettsmom

Re: Introducing milk again...red cheeks & respiratory issues?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 00:47:32 am »
Hi there,

With the wheezing I would say stop immediately.  Wheezing can indicate a very serious allergy (anaphalytic, which can be dangerous/impacts breathing).  My older daughter had wheezing with her penicillin allergy, and ended up being hospitalized for a night and had to get an adrenaline shot...she now has an epi-pen I don't want to scare you, but that's a serious symptom.  Honestly, call your ped and let him/her know of the symptoms.

((((hugs))))).  I hope it's nothing, but for sure stop for now (I would even halt the cheese/yogurt for now until you get some more info).

:-* :-* 

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 01:26:48 am »
Spencer's allergic to penicillin too...and eggs. She's constipated now too, definitely stopping. Problem is we see our GP and can only see a ped on referral, and he won't refer us for the other allergies (nor would he give me a epi-pen prescription). I think I'm going to see if I can get her with a dr in the next town, one of my co-workers sees her and she's very thorough.

Thanks  :-*
Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:46:16 am »
Problem is we see our GP and can only see a ped on referral, and he won't refer us for the other allergies (nor would he give me a epi-pen prescription).

Thanks  :-*

:o :o

Wow, that's frustrating.  I'm glad to hear you are going to get around your current GP.  Let us know how it goes.

((((hugs)))) with the constipation.  Poor little bub.  It's so hard doing trials isn't it?  The good news is that there is a very good chance of outgrowing the food ones by 2.   

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 02:24:10 am »
Very frustrating...especially since he has always been very thorough for everything DH and I have needed. I so just want her to get allergy tests to find out for sure what is going on...

thanks again  :)
Heidi

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 20:15:39 pm »
Just reading this post and lurking a bit. Did not know you were MPI too! we are reintroducing milk aswell, but with limited success. Can MPI cause behavioural problems? my lo is not only having red cheeks and runny nose, but screaming a lot for no apparent reason (seems different to tantrums because he cant have his own way) and NW's by the shedload.

Hopefully the allergy tests will get you a list of things to avoid.....
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 20:22:31 pm »
Heidi I didn't realise you had to have referrals for paeds in Sask!  Wow!  I wonder if Ontario has gone that way too!

Re the fats in soy milk - none of the soy milk that I have ever found had enough fat OR enough of the right nutritional balance (vit D, calcium and a couple of other things, maybe vit B12?) so until DS could do cow's milk I kept him on HA formula.  What formula was she on?

scarlettsmom

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 23:54:52 pm »
Can MPI cause behavioural problems? my lo is not only having red cheeks and runny nose, but screaming a lot for no apparent reason (seems different to tantrums because he cant have his own way) and NW's by the shedload.

Oh yeah, can definitely cause those issues.  Especially if your LO has non-ige symptoms (digestive issues mostly).   Sorry things aren't going so great w/the trials.  Any issues with his poops?

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 00:28:23 am »
We're on Isomil and trying to mix in soy milk... she doesn't really like it much! So, mostly formula still! Thinking if I can get her on to soy milk (cheaper that way) to add flax oil, or maybe coconut oil for the flax and try to get the other nutrients through her solids. (and maybe a multivitamin too)  

Spencer has become quite a terror lately...I had attributed it to age, but maybe not! No NW's or anything, but nap refusals at daycare.

Mashi...yup, need a referral to see a ped, sucks bigtime. Our GP could refer us straight to an allergist but he won't (old school, figures not until she's older or has an anaphylactic reaction  >:(  personally I'd like to know before it gets to that point! we are quite certain she's allergic to eggs and penicillin already...)

Have to run, think someone's pooped in the tub again...DH just can't handle that himself!!!!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 02:57:53 am by MasynandSpencer »
Heidi

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 14:29:51 pm »
lol about poops in the bath....my DH cant handle that either!

Tari- its always been sick problems and poop issues with my lo. Poops are obviously normally normal now (iykwim!) and we have about 3 days of normal then 2 of runny. Its like it was before we moved to soy really. Anyways we have stopped it for now, til after the holidays then going to try one more time.

Heres hoping this screaming stops, its like tantrums but for no reason! and seems to go on for ages!

Lili xx
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

scarlettsmom

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 15:22:21 pm »
((hugs)) lili.  The food issues along with the age (getting independent and learning to express themselves) can be a VERY trying time. 

And lol about the poop in the bath.....my DH is usually great with all things with the girls, but that will send him yelling for me. 

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 15:42:58 pm »
Your GP won't let you see a ped? Or prescribe an epi-pen?!?!? Will he consider a nutritionist if her weight is "off" at least? I'm glad you stopped the dairy - it sounds like she's got a full-blown allergy to the dairy from the symptoms you're describing, not just an "intolerance," which I'd expect would be tummy troubles (poop, gas, pain) but not the red cheeks too. On the down side, I've learned that even the blood tests aren't 100% accurate; elimination diet is really the only way to be sure, but my issue with that is that even if we cut it down to 3-4 foods (hypothetically), what if Josie turned out sensitive to one of those? I mean, DH is sensitive to, of all things, CHICKEN, and many times allergies run in families, but that doesn't stop the docs from telling us to cut back to chicken and rice. ::)

Yes, dairy can DEFINITELY cause behavioral issues in kids who are sensitive to it! It can totally mess with blood and brain chemistry, not to mention if it damages the gut lining then undigested food particles can pass directly into the bloodstream. :o Leaky gut is nothing to mess with! BTW, artificial colors can also cause behavioral problems in kids sensitive to those (one lives here... ::)). Make sure you wait a good long time before trying dairy again to give any possible gut damage time to heal. :(

On the down side, soy can also cause issues of its own, above and beyond being its own allergen for many people. Have you tried rice milk? It's often fortified with calcium and some vitamins, and it has a sweeter taste than soy milk. We got the girls used to it by putting it on cereal, and Nat will CHUG the stuff given half a chance. There are also some calcium supplements available if nothing else is "acceptable;" J won't touch rice milk with a 10-foot pole unless it's hidden in a smoothie or cereal, but fortunately the girls can both handle yogurt, although not straight cows' milk. :(

It's so rough working around allergies to food; I know we have it easier than a lot of people, but man, it'd be nice sometimes to NOT have to keep such a tight rein on what goes into them! :P

scarlettsmom

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 15:49:32 pm »

BTW, artificial colors can also cause behavioral problems in kids sensitive to those (one lives here... ::)). Make sure you wait a good long time before trying dairy again to give any possible gut damage time to heal. :(

Here too (I think, along w/HFCS).

btw, off topic, but Deb, I checked out the links to the sites from the other thread, and omg, my jaw DROPPED when I saw the Eat Right for your Type info.  Wow.  It explains so much.  Just got the book.  Thanks for the info... :-*

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 15:51:19 pm »
Any time - that (Eat Right 4 Your Type) is how we found DH's chicken issues. :)

And yes, HFCS is EVIL!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

scarlettsmom

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 16:02:08 pm »
I know - it should totally be banned, (and don't get me started about hydrogenated oils!!!  >:( >:(