Author Topic: Introducing milk again...red cheeks & respiratory issues?  (Read 3755 times)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Introducing milk again...red cheeks & respiratory issues?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 01:26:09 am »
Your GP won't let you see a ped? Or prescribe an epi-pen?!?!? Will he consider a nutritionist if her weight is "off" at least?

Nope...and the kicker is I've taken Masyn to the ped in Saskatoon (nearest city) twice, but they will not see Spencer unless I can get a referral!  Living in rural Sask sucks when it comes to Dr's...our regular GP is in a town 1/2hour away, the GP where we live is over 80 years old and we have heard only bad things about him. There is a small city a 1/2 hour in the other direction from where our GP is, and I'm hoping I can find a Dr. there who will refer me. I will see them all if need be. Hoping I can get an appt after Xmas sometime.

I really want the epi-pen though. DH had taken Spencer to the doctor here for tonsillitis and forgot that she's allergic to penicillin. If the nurse hadn't phoned me to get my take on Spencer's illness, they would have prescribed it and he would have taken her home and given it to her!!! That and a medic alert bracelet and I'd feel slightly better! At least our daycare is being proactive about it (apparently one of the staff has a milk allergy too) so this morning the lady in charge of the babies said they will but out all dairy for her too.

I would love to try rice milk, but I'm not sure where I can get it around here. I'll have to check it out and see.

Well I did bath time tonight and no more poop in the tub, and it seems to be gatting better!
Heidi

Cozyhat

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 05:00:10 am »
It does sound like a dairy issue.  My older daughter used to get eczema and also have respiratory issues.  We did an allergy panel and yes, she came up moderately allergic to milk.  What this meant for us was to eliminate "cups" of milk.  She can have milk in yogurt, cheese, ice cream, etc. but, no "cups" of milk.  Instead she drinks organic soy milk.  Nutritionally, I think she does pretty well.  She's also now on fish oil in addition to her daily supplements.  Vitamin D is also important.

I've just recently skimmed through a book called, The China Study.  The author gives thumbs down to dairy, favoring a plant based diet...which I agree, I suppose.  Soy has issues, too.  Heck, wheat has issues, too....having recently discovered that I'm now celiac.  Ugh.  Since when did nourishing our bodies become so complicated, I wonder?

I have dairy allergies as well, but mine don't exhibit themselves in the form of a rash.  My acne cleared up after removing dairy products.  Our skin is the biggest indicator as to what is going on in our digestive tract...it's crazy.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 11:53:29 am »
Ugh, Heidi sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I know living rurally can be so hard for facilities, doctors especially.  Rural life used to be so normal to me (although Ontario, not Sask!!!) and now that I am really pushing us to make the move home this summer I am starting to get in a panic about all of it again, after I've had so many years of living in Asia and Europe where a small town is 100,000 people!! 

A Medic Alert bracelet is a good idea - you don't need to go through your doctor for them, in fact when I got mine (8 years ago I think?) the system had nothing to do with your doctor. Go onto the MedicAlert website and you choose your bracelet and fill in the info required and what is to be engraved on the back.  I think they cost about $100 and there is also a yearly suscription to keep your info on file - so should a person wearing a bracelet be taken into hospital they can get the basic urgent info from the bracelet and there is also an ID number on there. The hospital will call MedicAlert and get the rest of the details that are kept on file.  Things may have changed or perhaps that process was specific to Ontario, but that is how it was when I got mine.

I had many problems getting an epi-pen for myself as well - severe allergies to aspirin, poppy seeds and bee stings. Have had anaphylactic reactions to all three, been rushed to hospital in ambulance and given adrenaline.  It was only after the poppy seeds that I got an epipen (aspirin reaction at age 5, bee stings at age 12, poppy seeds at age 15) and when it passed the expiry date I was not able to get another one, although I can't remember the details of why not, my mother would have probably written it in one of my medical books but who knows where they are now!  When I moved to England, 3 different GPs at the doctor's practice all agreed that I should have one but they were not able to prescribe one to me on the NHS with no "proven" reason to...as in, it was all just me telling them that these things had happened to me and no UK history of it being on my record. I don't know why places are so stingy with them - expensive or not, they can save a life! Not that any of this helps you, but just letting you know you are not alone in having troubles getting an epi pen!

Rice milk should not be too hard to find - there must be a health food store in Saskatoon that can order it in for you. All of the Rice Milk that I have seen in UK and Germany is UHT....so can be kept unrefrigerated for months without going off. So you could buy loads at once and not have to make weekly trips into Sask.  And, look in to getting them to deliver it to you - prob not much more expensive than the price of gas anyway!!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 16:45:18 pm »
Sheesh, I just typed up a post and then got the internal server error! Oh well, at least it wasn't super long!

I totally forgot about UHT packaging, every time I think "milk" I think perishable! I have to do a monthly run for diapers, wipes etc so I can sure stock up on that too!

I checked out the MedicAlert webiste, they have a program on for school aged kids to get one free, but I'm not waiting that long. I wonder can you get them changed easily if we finally get her tested to add other things? I'll have to check that out more.

That's so frustrating that you can't get the epi-pen! Really I don't get the stingyness with them, I'd gladly pay for a couple even if my insurance didn't cover it. Hopefully we can get in quick with a new Dr. and get a referral for an allergist. I found out my niece (2yrs) had to wait for 6 months to get tested!!!

Heidi