Author Topic: MPI intolerance, but wanting to try diary products  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Jonahs Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 41
MPI intolerance, but wanting to try diary products
« on: December 14, 2009, 17:37:11 pm »
His intolerance isn't REAL bad. When I drink milk it seems to affect him the worst - green poops, tummy aches.

But, I would like to try some in his solids diet.

What dairy products have the most broken down proteins? Yogurt, cheese, then milk?

He does goats milk fine and has the yogurt, but I would really like to try cows milk yogurt and cheese to make things easier.
~Keri~

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: MPI intolerance, but wanting to try diary products
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 19:55:19 pm »
Cows' milk yogurt has the proteins partially broken down by the culturing.

Any particular reason you want to try dairy?

Offline rinajack

• Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 20:12:11 pm »
Unfortunately, I think that if it is affecting him when You consume milk products, via your breastmilk, then it is not a good idea to introduce the directly to him.  The amount of milk protein that comes through your breastmilk is quite small in comparison to when the milk products are consumed directly.

You are quite fortunate that he tolerates the goats milk, and that he likes those products, I would stick with those for now.  Most babies grow out of these intolerances by 12 months, so maybe consider leaving this trial until that age.  Both of my kids have multiple food intolerances, not diagnosed until a later age - and were diagnosed because they got quite serious, so if you can hold off and things are working for you, it isn't a bad idea.

With Zara, her tummy aches got so bad that she pretty much stopped eating - when she started to lose weight, it got serious.  With Hugh, we caught it earlier, due to Zara's history, however his presented as behavioural issues - throwing 10-12 very huge tantrums a day, at less than 18 months old.  Zara will be 4 in March, and still has not outgrown the intolerances.  Hugh is also over 2, and has not outgrown them.
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline Jonahs Mom

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 20:36:09 pm »
I mostly want to try because it would make life easier in regards to making family meals. It's a matter of taste and also the cost of the goat/soy products. So if his body is ready, then that just makes my life easier.

Obviously I will watch for any problems, and that is why I want to try the food that is least likely to cause a reaction - theoretically.

His reaction has been less each time I have tried dairy products, with ice cream giving no effect the last time I had it. So I am hopeful!
~Keri~

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 20:46:40 pm »
If you're able to hold off for a few more months, he's more likely to be over it if it's "only" intolerance. It IS pricier, but for protein there are eggs and meats and grains and legumes, and for calcium there are leafy greens and salmon, and in the meantime there are supplements. But even "mere" intolerance with tummy aches can lead to intestinal bleeding and other digestive problems, so best to work around it when possible. My younger will drink rice milk (less bad press than soy) which is fortified with calcium and Vit D, and the older will eat yogurt (she can tolerate the broken-down milk protein), but if I give either of them cows' milk other than that, we get tummy-aches to the point of crying. :(

Whenever I find it hard, I remember my friend who has had to avoid nuts, dairy, eggs, and sesame seeds in her house for the past 7 years due to her DD's food allergies; makes it easier for me to look for alternatives since she has lots of them and I can pick her brains! :)

scarlettsmom

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 21:55:23 pm »
You've gotten some great info above.  I just wanted to say that honestly even if he didn't have a milk intolerance it would still be quite young to introduce dairy products.  The proteins are much harder to digest (thus the waiting until 1 year for actual cow's milk recommendation in most countries). 

If he is not ready and you continue to reintroduce a food that he has issues with, then the damage to his intestines will just get worse, take longer to heal, and the intolerance is more likely to stick around.  Honestly, if you are able, wait until at least 12 months. 

If you decide to move forward earlier, than perhaps yogurt would be the best. 

Offline Edesanja

• Showing Appreciation 39
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 02:03:40 am »
Quote (selected)
I mostly want to try because it would make life easier in regards to making family meals. It's a matter of taste and also the cost of the goat/soy products. So if his body is ready, then that just makes my life easier.

I know it's a pain but I agree with pp that I'd wait until at least over 12 months. The longer you can wait, the greater his chances of him getting over it. And if it still affects him a little bit through your milk, it is bound to be worse if he eats dairy straight himself. My DD is 20 months and still doesn't eat dairy and eggs yet (which is a great improvement since she wasn't eating gluten or soy either until a few months ago). To me, avoiding dairy and eggs is easy compared to what we were doing before!

I try to cook as much as possible without dairy and eggs so that I'm not having to prepare two meals. I have a big list of all the things I can make without any dairy - stir fry, spaghetti bolognase, roast..... so that when I need something to cook I'm not coming up blank all the time because all you can think of is dairy. And then I do cook other things that do have dairy in them but are easy to take DD's portion out first before adding the dairy. eg. if I make lasagne I keep her some mince and pasta aside before assembling it with the cheese sauce. I also did this while I was not eating dairy, but I tended to find it easier just to avoid meals that I would have to substitute dairy in or just miss out the dairy component because it just didn't taste right and made me miss eating dairy!

I don't know what you have in Canada, but here we have a website called the manufactured food database which has a lot of the major food producers on it and you can go on there and say (for example) I want to know what sauces I can buy that don't have (for example - dairy) in them and it will show you a list. Makes it easier than going to the supermarket and spending hours reading food labels!

As far as baking goes, I actually find it quite easy. I use dairy-free margarine (I find that the cheapest margarines are usually dairy free), egg replacer and either rice milk or water if the recipe has milk in it. There are also lots of recipes for vegan baking if you look online.
Jenny - mama to

Offline Jonahs Mom

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 04:08:15 am »
We really haven't had a meal with dairy in it for the last 5 months. So that isn't a big deal. It mostly affects ds since he is such a picky eater and cheese is his 'ketchup'.
Anyway, I can hold off more, but I am being cautious and I will double check with our naturopath at our next appointment as he monitors him closely for this stuff.

Edesanja - thanks for the info on the database, but it really isn't that bad. I am able to have hidden dairy without issue. It is only when there is straight milk or cheese in my food that we notice it with him. I can even have butter in baked goods and it doesn't bother him at all.
He gets some green poops and spits up a bit of milk for a few days after, and a bit of a tummy ache before bed that night. He is fine otherwise in the day. But even all of that has lessened as I try dairy every couple months.

I guess I'll just go with rice cheddar or soy cheddar for now.
~Keri~

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 07:43:51 am »
is it imperative that you all have the same meal? My DS is just coming out of MPI at 14 months and I am starting to slowly reintroduce. But up till now I have made him his own meals. Quite often with almost the same ingredients as us, but with no cheese/milk. For example, if we make pasta carbonara, i would cook a big batch of pasta, some ham and mushrooms and onion, and then take out some for DS, chop it and add tomato puree, and then add cheese and cream in the rest of it.

I know its difficult, but I would recommend not letting milk intolerance cause issues for the baby. Not only did the obvious tummyache get better when we stopped giving milk, he also slept better, was less grumpy, his skin was better etc etc......I guess what I'm trying to say is there maybe hidden things with the MPI that you can avoid if you hold off for a bit longer. The first things we had success reintroducing was butter and soft cheese

Lili xx
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess