Author Topic: wheat allergy or the cold air?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline cameron09

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: December 16, 2009, 01:58:51 am »
My 8 month ds tried whole wheat toast for the first time last week.  After eating it for 3 days, I started wondering if the redness on the top of his lip was from the wheat and not dry cold air (ie. chapped lips).  He also got some red eczema spots on his thumb area.  I stopped the toast and within a day it was gone.  I tried again today the toast, and later this afternoon a small red streak appeared above his lip again.

So I'm guessing he may have problems with wheat?  There are no allergies in our family.  Could he just be sensitive to it? 

Anyone else have experience with this?  I am away right now, but when I get back in Jan, I guess I'll be seeing the doctor. 

Thanks for any opinions/thoughts?

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: wheat allergy or the cold air?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 02:40:25 am »
Definitely give the wheat AT LEAST a one-month break to make sure it's totally out of his system before trying again. It might be the cold, but in the case of food allergies, it's not something to mess with, so better safe than sorry, Some allergies can be outgrown given time, but if not given time they can worsen, so again - I'd say hold off, just to be safe and sure. :)

My advice, anyway, from a mom of a kid with food intolerances with a friend with DEADLY food allergies.

Cozyhat

Re: wheat allergy or the cold air?
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 04:46:59 am »
Hey there,

I'd also give wheat a rest if possible.  I've been off wheat for the past 9 months and have learned so much. 

At the moment I'm also a bit concerned about my younger daughter...since lately she seems to get rather itchy on her face at meal times...Her 5 yr. check up is in January....and I hate to do this to her but....she should get an allergy panel done via a blood draw.  I did this with my older daughter when I think she was 3....and that's how we discovered the dairy issue, cats & dogs.  Happily she outgrew her egg issues. 

Since I had my allergy panel done in March 2009 I discovered I also had a dairy allergy...and a few other minor food issues.  The celiac thing caught me off guard.  It was bumpy at first....but I'll never go back if given the oppty.  My life has changed after giving up wheat....at the age of 37.

I'd try some "gluten-free" bread in the toaster as a test with your son.  See what happens.  ;)