Author Topic: Possible Food Allergy?  (Read 2172 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Possible Food Allergy?
« on: December 21, 2009, 20:28:25 pm »
DS (6.5 months) has always been prone to red chapped cheeks. Comes and goes though. Started solids about 3 weeks ago and he's doing well, likes them - spoon feeds himself some purees and does some BLW as well. Started butternut squash puree two days ago and he really like that one but the cheeks have been worse now (more red, a few puffy patches, a bit dry/scratchy feeling) and his sleep more disturbed and restless too. Now at the same time, he's also been drooling like crazy, blowing tons of raspberries, etc.

The rash (or whatever) is only on his face - everywhere else seems fine, poops ok, etc.

Might this be a reaction to the butternut squash? If so, would there be any other foods he might likely react to? I did buy some calendula cream (California Baby) to put on it to heal.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

scarlettsmom

Re: Possible Food Allergy?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 00:42:44 am »
Hi,

Congratulations on starting solids, and what a smart boy spoon feeding himself already!

Chapped skin (sounds like excema) can indicate an allergy - but most of the time it's just sensitive skin.  Has the weather changed where you live now?  It has gotten very dry and cold where I am and both my girls have red chapped cheeks which I am dousing in aquaphor (vaseline type cream). 

If there were hives, or rashes right around his mouth, those would really raise the red flags you know?  Also if it was in conjunction with other issues like stools looking strange, congestion, things like that. 

I would suggest stopping the butternut squash for right now more for peace of mind, and reintroduce in the next couple of months.  May want to put a call into your ped and just really watch your LO the next few days too.  Your ped might be able to prescribe something stronger for his cheeks as excema can definitely disrupt sleep - it is very itchy and LOs can scratch so hard they bleed.   :(

HTH!  ;D :-*

scarlettsmom

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 00:44:13 am »
Actually - just looked back over your post....are the patches raised like hives?  Just want to make sure....

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 01:10:15 am »
Couple of the patches were a bit raised, although not terribly so. When it was just the red, chapped skin we were definitely thinking just dry/weather, etc. But come last night with the few patches (definitely nearer to his mouth) we were more concerned. Did NOT give the squash today (he had only pears, avocado and carrots today) so he hasn't had it since 5pm yesterday (about 27 hours ago) and I've put natural calendula cream all over the area at least twice today - definitely looked a little better. He also went to sleep a little easier tonight - not as much rolling around, trying to get comfortable...

Yes, definitely is cold and dry here as well!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

scarlettsmom

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 01:30:11 am »
Glad he went to sleep easier and his rash is looking better.  Since it's raised a little that's a bit concerning because it could be hives and near his mouth too....sounds like a possibility as a reaction.

Have you taken a picture?  You may want to and show to your ped.  He's probably too young for baby benadryl (an antihistamine), but may want to ask if still bothering him tomorrow.  Keep a real close eye on his breathing (any wheezing, dry coughing).

))hugs((

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 01:59:22 am »
Yea I really am thinking reaction too, even though it seems odd that his skin elsewhere is fine. No wheezing or coughing and already sleeping more restfully than the past two nights. I was actually at the Ped today having DD's ears checked (making sure prior ear infection was gone) and asked him about it. He didn't think food allergy since no rashes elsewhere and was thinking drooling, but IME, Peds aren't so up on food allergies unfortunately...

If it is the butternut squash, what other foods do you think he might likely react to - maybe be careful with other squashes, pumpkin, etc?

scarlettsmom

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 14:06:20 pm »
Skin can be fine elsewhere and still be a reaction.  My dd2 didn't have that, but several good friends have children who will get rashes/hives around their mouths and when tested had food allergies.  So true - peds are not too on the up and up on allergies.  I don't know where you are, but you should consider seeing a ped allergist in the next couple of months.  Ours has been so wonderful. If you're in the US you should be able to get a ped allergist referral relatively easily.

So glad he's doing better!

Regarding what he may likely to react to.  That's the tricky part - it can be ANYTHING.  There is a list around here somewhere saying if you are allergic to "X" then "Y" might be an issue.  I'll look for it.  But really you just have to introduce slowly.  Staying away from like foods is a good idea for now (as you mentioned, squashes, pumpkins, zucchinis, etc). 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 15:52:14 pm »
Yea rash/patches still there but definitely seem less. If from the squash how long would it likely take to totally clear up?

Will look into an allergist - and also, when this is fully cleared up should I try a bit of squash again to check?

Thanks again!

scarlettsmom

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 16:00:36 pm »
It could take several days to clear up - especially if he is prone to rashes/excema from environmental elements.

No, don't try the squash for again for awhile.  I'd say 3-6 months. 

xo

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 16:02:36 pm »
Thanks Tari. So anything else I can use on it in the meantime (in addition to the calendula) to help it heal/clear faster? Or just leave it alone since it doesn't seem to be bothering him at this point? He's not rubbing at it, seems in good mood and slept better last night than the two nights prior...

scarlettsmom

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 16:16:29 pm »
If it seems to be clearing I would keep doing what you're doing.  I have been using Aquaphor on my DDs, I don't know if you have it were you are?  It works sooo well.  If it seems worse I will put a little bit of hydrocortisone on it.

The active ingredient in the Aquaphor is:  Petrolatum, and inactive ingredients are: mineral oil, ceresin, lanolin alcohol, pantehnol, glycerin and bisabolol.

:-* :-*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 21:36:44 pm »
We do have Aquaphor but I don't love petroleum based products usually. But will keep it in mind! Thanks again. So if his skin is all cleared in next day or two can we try a new food? Was thinking peaches possibly next...

scarlettsmom

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 22:30:33 pm »
I would wait a full week from the squash reaction and then start up again. 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 13:31:58 pm »
Will do - will try peaches maybe this weekend?

After peaches, what are some other good bets? Cauliflower? Yogurt (since he's already on milk-based formula)? Would love another veggie since he only currently has carrots there and I limit them to a degree because of the nitrates.

scarlettsmom

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 20:58:19 pm »
How old is your LO, 6-ish months?  I wouldn't do the cauliflower/broccoli (can be too gassy for some LOs) or the yogurt.  Even though he is fine on cow's milk formula, the proteins are still broken down way more than yogurt or cheese.  I'd wait at least another month (or two) for the yogurt.

How about peas?  Have you tried that yet?  Green beans?  Avocado?