Author Topic: Christmas panic attack...  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Christmas panic attack...
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 18:41:38 pm »
Don't forget it's not the first exposure you need to worry about it's the second - they will react after initial exposure to the allergen. DS was fine the first time he had strawberries but got hives all around his mouth the second time. Same with the egg - he had had small amounts of it cooked in foods but not larger amounts of the whites by itself.

Laura

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 19:16:56 pm »
When my DD1 first had peanuts it was at a family gathering (by mistake, she was given a PB cookie) where half the people were in the medical field - dr's, nurses, vets - so we were glad that was the first exposure, lol.
Now THAT'S how to introduce nuts!! lol ;D

So our pediatrician was able to sneak us in late this morning (apparently can't give us a referral over the phone ::)) and after hearing the story referred us to a local allergist :D  He said that they will only test for what I ask them to, and agreed that testing for nuts and mustard made sense.  The only bad news is that the office is closed until Jan 4 so I can't even call until then, so it may be a bit of a wait for an appointment.  D's dr said just to continue feeding him all the foods that he's eaten safely before, but to avoid eggs and citrus until we can get tested.  At least I feel like we're going somewhere!

Thanks for all the information and support everyone! :-* :-*
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Cozyhat

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 22:56:44 pm »
Glad you'll be able to get an allergy test done.

It did indeed sound like an egg allergy to me...maybe egg whites only.

Straight up egg causes a lot more reaction than egg in food....like noodles or cookies...even ice cream.

My older daughter had the same issue.  She could have egg in anything but no straight up egg.  Gradually we started her with scrambled egg yolk only and as she got older we would add in a little of the white.  Today at the age of 8, she loves eggs and there are no issues.

She also has a moderate dairy allergy which means she can have all dairy products except glasses of milk.  Bye-bye eczema.

Having an allergy panel done was the best decision we ever made for her....esp. when it reveals how sensitive you are to particular foods.  All it took was a simple blood draw.

Glad you guys are doing better, though.  :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 01:57:53 am »
Here's where I read about the mustard...

http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=338

So glad you are getting in for testing, our Dr. won't refer us and I'm trying to get an appt. with another Dr. to see if she will.
Heidi

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 12:28:05 pm »
Thanks so much for that link Heidi, that's a really interesting site! ;D

I hope you can find a dr to refer you. It's so frustrating when they won't. It's no skin off their back to just do it, kwim? Our old family dr was like that (getting a referral was nextto impossible) but D's has been good thus far. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you :-*
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 13:40:53 pm »
I started getting the magazine in the mail...but I have no idea who sent it to me!  Thanks for the crossed fingers and I'll keep mine crossed that you get a quick appt for testing  :-*
Heidi

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 17:30:35 pm »
Having an allergy panel done was the best decision we ever made for her....esp. when it reveals how sensitive you are to particular foods.  All it took was a simple blood draw.

DD had a blood draw first for her suspected celery allergy. Turned up negative. The skin test showed a severe allergy to it and we were told the blood tests at her age were unreliable and for celery in general unreliable. ??? Never understood why they sent us then and had her go through that as she was hysterical (my mom took her while I was at work and said I wouldn't have been able to handle it and would have probably left without getting it done-sheesh)