Author Topic: So, how do we scrap these bottles then?  (Read 15208 times)

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Re: So, how do we scrap these bottles then?
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 22:49:57 pm »
Hey Liz, have followed along this thread with interest. Luckily DD is a vey good eater, and funnily enough she only really eats sausage meat out of the skin, despite not being fussy at all.
Not sure if you have already tried this but my DD (15m) took something other than a bottle tonight for the first time ever, it was this (I think, I bought it in a chemist not the internet)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002FV5I0O/ref=asc_df_B002FV5I0O527332?smid=A2W61H83TXLAZ7&tag=dealtimecouk-baby-mp-delta-21&linkCode=asn&creative=7974&creativeASIN=B002FV5I0O

Also my sister likes these if you wanted to try a cup without a top:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230409356/Product.aspx?source=14798

Sorry if you've already tried/seen these!! Good luck :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 23:43:05 pm »
I have found with those tt cups the straw is too short, Caleb goes to put his mouth over it and ends up biting the lid instead, he likes a big straw so we got him one with a big straw, he still has to bite the straw to get the water to come through and then suck it up though, he likes to bite the straw. Im trying to only offer him these kinds of cups instead of the old ones where he had to tip it up and bite on the big thick teat to make the holes open, we are getting alot of positive response to water, drank about 6 oz yesterday in total but no such luck with the milk, i offer it and he pushes it away, i offer again and same thing, i then offer him water (from anotehr cup) and he drinks it!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 08:04:23 am »
Ugh - put the milk in the cup and he had maybe 2 sips. Left it lying around and he didn't even touch it. Ate a load of cheerios out of his snack cup. But it isn't as though he was asking for his bottle so I just left it. I hope I am doing the right thing.

I have tried that TT staw cup but was worried that I might not be able to clean it properly for milk  ???. J does drink well with a straw though, so maybe worth a try again.

It isn't that J can't manage sippies yet - he can - he drinks from a free flow sippy, a straw sippy, open cups (too messy for milk). Only thing he seems to really reject is soft spout sippes.

Sigh.

It really is just the milk - but he isn't drinking it out the bottle either.

And now he has the box of cheerios in front of the TV  ::)

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 08:34:48 am »
Is there any chance he would drink a smoothie or something? You know, just making the milk more interesting and tasty for him?
I just whack the straw cup in the dishwasher, am hoping that's OK!! DD drinks water all day long from a free-flow sippy but not sure if she would entertain the idea for milk yet...I think she is the opposite to J, she needs something soft like a teat when she has milk which is why I think she likes the straw cup...Only problem is she likes lying down and tipping it back, so not much comes out if she does that  :P
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 08:49:02 am »
Was just wondering the same  :). And wondering if he is starting to realise that formula tastes pretty nasty.

He is taking his bedtime bottle - but is on and off it all the time. Takes 30 mins to get 4-7oz into him now. Those teeny tiny books are a godsend as I can hold them and the bottle at the same time  ::).

I just wonder if this is all inevitable really  :-\. I mean a boy who HATED milk as a baby due to pain and reflux, HATED his bottles, threw up all of the time. Never took more than the bare minimum of milk. Even at 6 mths we were only getting about 20oz a day into him.

He didn't eat a particularily big breakfast today either. But I did get a yoghurt into him so I feel a little better now.

MummyToBen

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 09:48:55 am »
Was just wondering the same  . And wondering if he is starting to realise that formula tastes pretty nasty.

I think that probably is part of it at this age - they've tried so many other tasty things that why would they *want* to drink formula?!  Have you tried adding something like a tiny bit of vanilla essence...or is his formula so horrible that it needs a full disguise in the shape of a smoothie :)?!  I really don't know how Ben still drinks his - really makes me gag when I've tried it!

Have you seen a paediatric dietitian with J?  Sorry, can't remember if you'd mentioned it before. x

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 11:34:36 am »
Yeah - sees the feeding team still - but TBH they don't make many useful suggestions anymore. Basically as he can eat almost all textures and self feed - so the rest now is kind of up to him.

I'm happy to try cows milk again though. You never know  :).

scucci1979

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 13:54:59 pm »
My lo loves smoothies.  I mix it with vanilla yogurt and a little bit of banana. He may like that. But, she won't drink it on her own, I have to assist her.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 13:59:16 pm »
I say go for the cow's milk. Even if it needs to warmed a tad to take the chill out. OR if you have to add a vanilla soy milk to enhance flavor. The cow's milk has a much more drink-like conistency than formula from what I remember when I tasted formula. He may like it more now that he is older *shrug*

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 17:34:18 pm »
If he doesn't go for the straight cows milk you can always try half and half, or transition gradually.

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 17:55:53 pm »
We have only just persuaded E to take cow's milk - and now it has to be warm in a bottle which does rather feel like creating a whole new issue!  But at least she's taking it.  We actually persuaded her to take it the first time when we had been out in the snow and she was cold and dh and I were having hot chocolate so we gave the girls hot milk - she absolutely gulped it down, and has been drinking it since.

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2010, 21:32:56 pm »
this is such a fantastic thread for seeing all kinds of ideas,

Liz how are you getting on now with J?? any progress?

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2010, 21:47:08 pm »
Nope  :( any attempt to give his milk in any cup in the morning leads to a big tantrum. But he still won't drink much out the bottle either. He seems to have developed a morning ritual and any change to it freaks him out.

So I'm trying to think up new ideas - and from next week we are going to offer him milk in a cup ALL DAY LONG to see if he gest the idea of it a little better. Not sure if it will help though as J has refused milk all day for months now and only wants it at bedtime and in the morning.

I'm thinking of a half and half milk to formula milk, with it cold all day and then warmed up at afternoon snack time, then chucked away and try again the next day.

I'm just hoping to trigger some 'milk in a cup is an acceptable idea' thoughts in him  ::).

He really is very stubborn  :-\.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2010, 02:24:36 am »
Awwww Liz. Super stubborn. I like the mixed formula and milk idea. Hope it helps. :)

Offline mimi1017

• Showing Appreciation 6
  • Thank God to BW!
    • GelyBelleVCreations
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2010, 16:43:00 pm »
Not sure if this would help but my DD would never take a sippy cup because she would tilt up and had to suck hard to get water out, so I tried a straw cup and she took to it right away...that was at 9 months old. Last week I tried her milk (warmed the way she likes it) in one of her straw cups and she only took half, got off my lap, and walked away lol. Then I went to look for a wide soft straw cup with Elmo (her favorite) and goodbye bottles. She actually drinks faster out of it because the straw is so wide. I figured it's because milk is thicker she didn't have the patience to keep sucking hard to get it. Hth
[<script type='text/javascript' src='http://www.etsy.com/assets/js/etsy_mini_shop.js'></script><script type='text/javascript'>new Etsy.Mini(7422656,'thumbnail',4,2,1,'http://www.etsy.com');</script>