Author Topic: is this a food reaction?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« on: December 29, 2009, 20:49:04 pm »
I have posted in the health section about this but just want to double check with you lovely food Allergy ladies that this isnt a reaction to something he has eaten. the only food i can think of is that he had pancakes at McD's yesterday morning, we also went swimming most of the afternoon so it couldve been that but this has stayed through the night and its still here today, red puffy eyes even red around the nostril area. its not dry, hes not rubbing it, its not itchy, its just what it is, does this look like it could be a reaction to the pancakes? i usualy give him gluten free pancakes but we were out and he needed to eat something. Im presuming he wouldve had a reaction sooner though, this is like 8 hours later this appeared

scarlettsmom

Re: is this a food reaction?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 00:50:59 am »
Hey there Jo.  Yikes!  Poor little bub (but still such a cutie!!).

Well, I'm no expert, but it looks very much like an allergic "shiner".  Although there is often itching that accompanies the red, swollen eyes.  It's typically environmental allergies that contribute (i.e, pollen, dust, mold).  However, they can present themselves in dairy and gluten allergies.

I'm really not certain, but here is a google image of an allergic shiner:  

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&um=1&sa=1&q=allergic+shiners+&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

(((hugs)))  Could just be the chlorine that's hanging around.....? 

btw - you mentioned that you usually get gluten free, but didn't today - does he have a wheat or gluten allergy/intolerance?

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:18:37 am »
he has suspected MPI and is on prescription formula for it. I tiook him to the dr and she said it looks like the start of a possible eye infection so said if it gets really puffy to put eye drops in and if it gets gluggy then its poss conjunctivitis but I dont think she even took in the possibility of an allergic reaction, i forgot to mention the pancakes.

From those pics it does look like an allergy shiner, i just wondered why he would have it on one side of his nose as well. well hes terribly irritable today is off his lunch (suspected teething again) so im not sure if its all linked, guess i will just have to keep an eye on it, THanks Tari :)

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 01:27:12 am »
If he's suspected MPI I'd not eat much at McD's. I know they use milk in their French Fries and probably in the pancakes as well. :(

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 01:39:26 am »
Ive given him fries before (obviously not alot, just if we have been out and had some and hes been hungry) figured it was safe being potato and i thought seeing as he only had less than a half of a pancake it would be ok but i guess not

scarlettsmom

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 01:43:05 am »
Yes, mcd's has milk in the fries, hamburger buns, pretty much everything.

Interesting, wouldn't have thought conjunctivitis - both girls here had double conjunctivitis last week (that was fun! lol) and didn't look like that.

I would drop back down to his safe foods, avoid gluten and monitor.  Some warm compresses on his eyes would probably feel good too.    :-*

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 01:45:26 am »
ha! trying to get my little monkey to sit still long enough to even wipe his face (he throws a fit when i do) would be great let alone a warm compress on teh eyes :)

scarlettsmom

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 01:50:07 am »
ha - I SO know what you are talking about.  I had to do it for DD2 last week, and oh boy was THAT an adventure.  But it does help.

Also - if it is still like that tomorrow I would seriously consider an antihistamine (like benadryl).  call your ped to ask about dosages, but if it's an allergy issue then an antihistimine will really help alleviate some of the discomfort along with the pesky allergens..

(((hugs))).  Do you plan on getting him tested eventually?  May help if he has multiple allergies.