Author Topic: stimulating vs low-key activity  (Read 1662 times)

Offline eml2512

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
stimulating vs low-key activity
« on: January 10, 2010, 17:27:55 pm »
Hi

I don't know if this has been posted before, but I haven't spotted it anywhere. We're on day 2 of starting EASY with my 15.5 week old DD. DD is a poor napper and at best will only do 45 min naps, but often in the afternoon they're about 30 mins. I'm learning that the timing and type of activity can adversly affect the nap, so if it's too stimulating, then it can lead to a poor nap. As DH and I are still very much learning about this, we were wondering what would be considered stimulating and what wouldn't.

I know this should be simple, but I think what's low key for me might be very stimulating for LO.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: stimulating vs low-key activity
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 22:25:34 pm »
well with my spirited one i had to really learn this distinction as we needed everything low key in the last 15 min or so to wind down the A time before naps.

for us the big differences were things like  1) noise/lights- like toys with flashing parts or noise elments to them (= stimulating) vs quiet/peaceful activities; 2) active involvement from lo with an involved toy / PLAYING (stimulating) vs. passive stuff like watching leaves in the trees (one  the best wind down calm tings we ever did with her), going for a calm walk, listening to classical music together; and 3) how much involvement from us - so leaving lo to lay on the floor with a stuffed toy to decide what they want to do with it vs. getting on the floor and making the stuffed bunny dance and talk (stimulating)

hope that helps a little
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 22:27:28 pm »

Offline eml2512

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:38:15 am »
Thanks for the info. That makes sense and was kind of in line with my thoughts. DD I think is textbook/spirited, so we need to know the difference.