Author Topic: Cot Mobiles????? A big 'no'?  (Read 2237 times)

Offline loub

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Cot Mobiles????? A big 'no'?
« on: January 24, 2010, 19:43:04 pm »
DS loves sitting under his older sister cot mobile but is bw anti-mobiles? Too stimulating? And what are they meant to be used for? Activity? Wind-down?

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Cot Mobiles????? A big 'no'?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 20:03:09 pm »
LOL I wouldn't say anti mobiles per se, but like anything it depends how and when they are used. When my LO was little it was definitely too stimulating to watch the mobile as wind-down, but he definitely enjoyed looking it as part of his A time.

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 20:19:32 pm »
We had a mobile for our son's cot but it wouldn't attach to the cradle that he was in for the first few months so didn't use it. When we moved him into the cot we put it on but it dangled quite low and he just spent the whole time trying to grab it! We were recently bought a new one, really nice and didn't dangle very low, put it on his cot - BIG mistake!! He just spent the whole time trying to get to it, and now he can stand in the cot (he's 8 months now) it was certainly a distraction from sleeping! If he wakes early in the morning he tends to chat to himself for a while then settle himself back to sleep, I'm sure that if he had a mobile it would just keep him wide awake when he should be sleeping. Maybe if he had had one from day 1 it might be a different story but in my opinion they are definitely too stimulating and a distraction.
Catherine x

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 20:34:13 pm »
I used to use my DSs mobile (with music) so that I could catch a shower!!!!!

He would not like to be in his cot with a cuddly toy or a couple of things to look at - but if I put the mobile on, I had a 5 minute window to quickly wash my hair or nip to the loo on my own!!

Once he got a bit bigger, he was able to reach the dangling 'bits' so I took it off, but by then he was happy to sit and play so long as he had a big enough selection of toys to investigate.

Definitely A for us rather than wind down.

Steph XXX

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 20:41:02 pm »
I used to use my DSs mobile (with music) so that I could catch a shower!!!!!

Ditto!

I did use it as part of our wind down though and I didn't find it too OS. Ours had quite slow music though!  All depends on the LO!