Author Topic: Ground Chicken/Turkey? - UPDATE - BABY MEATBALLS?  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Ground Chicken/Turkey? - UPDATE - BABY MEATBALLS?
« on: January 28, 2010, 15:09:14 pm »
DS has been REALLY hungry lately so thinking may be time to try him with some meat? Was thinking either chicken or turkey - would ground be easier for him or roasted and then shredded? No teeth yet, not wanting to puree. He does do purees but pureed meats gross me out!!! If ground should I just cook in the pan with nothing added and break up and give him by finger or fork?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 14:48:42 pm by Mom to M&M »
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mimi 2

• Showing Appreciation 167
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 20:30:29 pm »
I think either would be fine.  Turkey is known to cause drowsiness so maybe offer it for dinner (once allergies are ruled out.)  ;)

I had more success with it roasted & shredded into small pieces. 

GL
Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Re: Ground Chicken/Turkey?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 21:52:49 pm »
Stacy - I make all my own food, so nothing jarred anyway. Maybe will try the ground turkey first (only cause that's what I bought today LOL) and if he doesn't do well with it I'll try the shredded roasted chicken and if still no go the beef stew pureed. Thanks guys!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Re: Ground Chicken/Turkey? - UPDATE - BABY MEATBALLS?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 14:49:38 pm »
What about trying this recipe with ground turkey? Maybe turkey, baby oatmeal, wheat germ and pears? Or carrots?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 15:31:31 pm »
Thanks Stacy. Yea would DEFINITELY add either pureed carrot or apple or pear - just trying to decide which would work/taste best. He hasn't had wheat germ yet but HAS had puffs (containing wheat) so that should be fine, no? It would really only be the turkey that's new...

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 15:35:49 pm »
There is a recipe here for "the famous sausages" which I would definitely give a try if you haven't yet!

It calls for using a chicken or turkey breast and using a meat processor to turn it into "muck" and then add a grated apple and some spices. You form it into finger sized sausages, roll in flour and fry. We used these as one of DS's first intros to meat and he still loves them now. We even make them into burgers for DH and I.  After the first few goes at cleaning the raw meat out of my food processor I have always used ground chicken or turkey instead of processing my own chicken breast, less mess, less fuss!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 15:37:38 pm »
Interesting Mashi, thanks! So if using ground turkey/chicken how do you make them?

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
Offline Mimi 2

• Showing Appreciation 167
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 16:43:30 pm »
Moving this over to Baby Recipes.
Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 14:57:08 pm »
Really wanted to make the baby meatballs posted above for DS to try at lunch today BUT totally out of baby oatmeal.

Should I use his baby mixed grain cereal (spelt, barley and oatmeal)? Use adult whole rolled oats (old fashioned kind) and grind them first? Or wait until I have the baby oatmeal and do it tomorrow instead?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 14:32:39 pm »
They didn't come out good at all! Weird texture with the wheat germ and all. Think might try again with ground beef (85/15), regular rolled oats and maybe egg yolk (since he's ok with it already)? And then bake them in oven?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 20:48:32 pm »
Cool maybe I'll make them tonight to try at lunch tomorrow!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 16:00:22 pm »
Can I just say yuck?! Think will just have to wait until he can share the meatballs I make for the family (kosher ground beef, whole egg, homemade seasoned bread crumbs, garlic powder salt and pepper cooked in homemade tomato sauce).

Meanwhile, I might try these today - at least not pureed meat (still ugh) and interested to see how he does with the texture: http://www.happybabyfood.com/our-products/happybaby/baby-dhal-and-mama-grain

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 22:23:05 pm »
He LOVED the mama grain - mixed one cube with one cube from my stock of pears. Will give two tomorrow and try the baby dahl maybe over the weekend!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 16:45:16 pm »
Stacy - might try the stew meat this week. Did you just simmer some in water with carrots or other veggies? Or in stock/broth? For how long before pureeing?