Author Topic: Back from the allergist - disappointing news :(  (Read 4254 times)

Offline nursekat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
Re: Back from the allergist - disappointing news :(
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 22:26:36 pm »
Glad to hear the blood test went well!  I almost think it is more tolerable than the scratch test, even though it is more invasive.

I agree with mashimaro's post - one of the benefits of having an allergy today is that society is so much more in tune with them!  Our preschool makes me feel SO comfortable leaving dd there, they are really experienced in that area.  Plus, so many restaurants now have allergen menus (even though you can't fully trust them to not cross-contaminate).

I, too, have a lot of nuisance allergies like you.  I saw an allergist when I lived in CA and according to her, they are very genetic.  Her theory is they are becoming more prevalent because it is a dominant gene of sorts.  Should be interesting to see what science comes up with next.  Her specialty was dealing with people like mentioned above - people that if just barely exposed wind up in full anaphylaxis.  With very very minute amounts of allergens.  I was on allergy shots for 3 years (mine weren't that severe, just ended up in her practice).  It was amazing to watch her work.  She had patients coming in from all over the world to see her, because she is one of the few allergists that does what she does.

Do let us know how the results turn out!

Offline ajjanzen

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 07:14:22 am »
I wish I had checked out this board months ago when my DD who is turning three next week was diagnosed with a peanut allergy.  I was really devastated at first.  Relieved to finally figure out what was causing her to hive up and constantly feel like she had a cold but still, like you say 'deflated'.   It went on for months and I tried to eliminate 'suspect' foods from her diet but it never occured to be that she would have a peanut allergy.  Duh? 
She is not anaphalatic but I still have to carry the epipen with me at all times.  Anyway, once I got over I blaming myself for her allergy I decided that this would force us as a family to make the best choices for foods and snacks.  We ate well before but now we eat much better.  We don't buy any processed foods, we bake breads and muffins from scratch, and we eat a lot of fruits and veggies and meats/fish.  We eat as clean as possible and that is a good thing.  Although I do miss my PB sandwhiches!!! 
Once in a while I do allow her a special treat of a cookie from a specialty allergy bakery ...I know it's big risk but I have to allow her to be a kid and enjoy life too.  On a lighter note, she uses her allergy to get out of eating things that she 'thinks' she doesn't like .....  'I can't eat that Mommy, it has peanuts in it'. 
I never thought I would have that kid...the one with the allergies.  But as long as she is otherwise healthy and happy, we are going to be just fine.  Big hugs to you and your LO.   

scarlettsmom

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 02:06:42 am »
Hi ajjanzen - welcome!

LOL about your DD getting out of eating foods....that's cute! 

"We don't buy any processed foods, we bake breads and muffins from scratch, and we eat a lot of fruits and veggies and meats/fish.  We eat as clean as possible and that is a good thing."

It really makes you eat so well and realize all the junk that is in other foods.  That is a definite positive. 

Glad you found the board.... :D

Offline ajjanzen

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 05:06:27 am »
Thanks...I figure that I'll be visiting here quite often.  My son is just about 6 months and I believe that he has a MPI.  Very congested, with lots of diarrhea,  and just uncomfortable on cow milk formula.  He's been on soy since he was 7 weeks old.  So both my kids has food sensitivities and allergies that have really forced us to think about what we are  buying and cooking.  Looking forward to more chats and discussions.