Author Topic: What can I do with them?  (Read 2028 times)

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
What can I do with them?
« on: January 30, 2010, 13:40:14 pm »
dd1 is just over 3 and dd2 is 17 months.  We have always tended to get out of the house in the morning and afternoon to keep busy, or we have friends over.

Since dd1 started preschool a few weeks ago, she wants to stay at home more often, which I understand and am happy to accommodate - the real difficulty is trying to entertain both of them for the afternoon without all of us getting stressed!  We have managed it a couple of times, but the stages that they are at mean that it is difficult to avoid conflict and once it starts it tends to deteriorate pretty quickly.

dd1 likes games and jigsaws and playing with her trainset - until dd2 starts pulling everything apart and eating it.  ::)  dd2 likes dressing up, but that only keeps her entertained for a few minutes - and then she starts taking apart whatever dd1 is doing.  neither of them has ever really been able to play on their own for more than about 5 minutes, so there does have to be some overlap in what they are doing.

I would love to do some sort of crafty stuff with them, but dd2 eats everything, so glue, paint, felt tips and crayons are all off limits.  I'm reluctant to do baking as I don't let them have biscuits etc and I don't want to compromise that principle for entertainment.  I'm also not good at creative play - I don't have a very good imagination, and it seems that dd1 doesn't either, but I don't know how much of that is because I can't do it and therefore she isn't getting the example, iykwim.

Anyway, I'd be really grateful for any suggestions that could keep them both entertained.

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: What can I do with them?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 22:42:36 pm »
big hugs - we have similar age gaps and both girls so i am trying to remember back

some suggestions based on age and activities i know are still fun for older kids:
1. musical instruments - if you don't have some i highly recmmend starting a collection now - over the years we have amassed a huge collection and even the 6 year old and friends love it.  the younger one can do shakers/maraca, tambourine, drum anything... and if you want somehing special for dd1 keyboards are great or a recorder, harmonica, or triangle.  my kid put on shows, create a band with friends and march around the house...The best starte kit we had was from ELC - the jungle beats music kit (has drum, maracas, castanets, etc) and the 4 in 1 shaking set that connect all together or can be used in any combination (can't see on their site anymore)
http://www.elc.co.uk/toy/jungle-beats/

2. simple crafts/art activities that can also be elevated for dd1:
~stickers/collage work. d2 can scribble and stick on stickers to pages while dd1 can draw and actually do her own cutting and pasting
~playdough - if dd2 is still putting in her muth you can google for recipes for EDIBLE playdough and then not stress.  can also add Mr potato head figure bits to extend this, cutters, stampers
~stamps with washable ink pads/paints: you can get big stamps with knob handles for the toddler (we still use ours) and more advnced ones for dd1 if necessary.  this is my go to "painting" form when i don't want a mess
~ watercolours - my favourite no staining and easy peasy art (which mine RARELY choose ugh!) or water panting (you knw those magic books with the water painting to eveal the colours?)

3.  put on music for them to dance to

4. finger puppets or hand puppets

5. doll play - dd2 is at a good age to start : dolls, clothes to change them, brush their hair, pretend feeding, push them in a doll stroller.

hope that helps.  i know it can be frustrating it is to try to keep those 2 age groups happy at the same time...
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 12:13:04 pm »
What about a play kitchen with play foods?

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 20:39:26 pm »
Thanks for those suggestions.  We have a play kitchen and food which keeps them entertained from time to time, but normally ends up with a struggle over the kitchen bit!

We've got the jungle beats thing too - was a big favourite for ages, but we haven't got it out in a while.  I will try it again.

The music idea is a great one - they always dance to music on tv, so that feels like something that could keep them going; and they have both spent all day carrying around a doll, so I will try to get some more clothes for them (we only have one sleepsuit and a jumper for all the dolls we have!).

Offline Bryony

• Showing Appreciation 141
  • We're in London, UK
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 20:51:49 pm »
how about making your own edible playdough?  Then you can have fun both making it, and then playing with it...

You only really know what love is when you become a parent