Author Topic: help... We're so tired!  (Read 1654 times)

Offline suek23

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 02, 2010, 19:48:34 pm »
 I have a six month old.  she is breast fed and on solids.  she is on a four hour schedule
and awesome during the day.  I DF between 10:30 and 11.  she wakes up numerous times a night, sometimes crying and sometimes just staying awake.  last night it was from 2am -about 5.  we have done pick up put down and tried all of the methods.  but she just isnt sleeping.
she had been habitually waking at 3:30 every night so we set the alarm for 2:30 and she woke up at 1!  i tried again the next night, woke her gently and she fell back to sleep but now she is waking at all different times. she takes 2 naps a day.  morning and afternoon and not terribly long... an hour or hour and a half
-2 hours.  she has been doing this since she  was born.  it is nothing new
we had swaddled her but she sucks her fingers, and she started getting out of them.  she doesnt take a binky and I am at a total loss.  i can not figure her out.  she will be quiet then let out a cry, then be quiet for a while, then cry a little.  sometimes she cries and cries and doesnt stop even if we hold her.  every night is different.   we dont rush in, but we dont let her wail either.  it is so frustrating.  any suggestions as to why she is staying awake for so long at night?

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: help... We're so tired!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 19:56:26 pm »
Hi and welcome to BW.

{{{hugs}}}

Can you please post your daily routine in EASY form, like

E - 7am
E - 8am solids
A
S - 9-10:30
E - 11am
E- 12 solids
A
S - 1-3

I am going to pop this over to the night waking board so you can get some help with the sleep.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline suek23

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 20:39:04 pm »
Thanks.. Not sure if this went thru before...
E - 7am
E - 8am solids
A
S - 9:30-11
E - 11am
E- 12 solids
A
S - 1-3
A
I try to nurse her at around four but sometimes she refuses.  If hse does then I will nurse her before her solids dinner between 5-5:30.  Then I give her solids.
Bath between 6-6:30
bed and last feeding between 7-7:30
DF between 10:30-11

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 21:54:03 pm »
bumping up for you
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 00:17:22 am »
HI there, just a few questions to clarify your routine...

You mention that she's not a good napper but she's doing 2x 1.5 hour naps a day?  That's actually perfectly restorative sleep :-)  One

She doesn't take a cat nap between last nap and bedtime?

Is she teething?

Have you tried shush/pat or only PU/PD?  Do you know what temperament she is?
The tweaking never stops!

Offline suek23

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 01:14:24 am »
She is a great napper!  If she wakes up she can soothe herself back to sleep.  (During the day)  She is perfect all day long and never cries during the day. 
She usually doesnt take a cat nap unless her afternoon nap is short.
We used the shush pat method when she was younger and I am not sure if she is teething.  I dont feel anything in there.  Plus, she has been this way for months and months.
When she was a tiny baby, birth to two months (maybe three) she cried during the day, but never at night.  Then things switched.
I am not really sure which temperment she is.  Probably an angel but I cant figure her out!  (I feel bad for saying that.)  She is a happy baby all day long.  She was rolling over at three months.  Sitting at six months, she blabbers all day long and smiles and is happy and engaged... But for some reason, which I wish I new, she wakes so frequently at night??
Any ideas??

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 14:44:48 pm »
Hi there, I really think one of the biggest problems is that she doesn't have a CN and goes to bed later.  Her A time at the end of the day is really long for her age.  Most LO's still need a CN until they are on 3 hrs A time consistently and having good nights.  Could you try giving her a nap, even 30 mins around 5 or 5:30?

Offline suek23

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 16:53:13 pm »
I will try anything!  I will let you know how it goes.  but what if she doesnt take one???

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 17:38:33 pm »
I am wondering if at 6 months, she may need a bit longer A time during the day.  2 hours seems a bit on the short side.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline suek23

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 18:06:26 pm »
ok, so how long should she be awake?  Should she be taking a cat nap?  i thought at some point she would cut those out,a nd she seemed to have.  But if thats what she needs i will go back to it

Offline Tweakster

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 18:15:47 pm »
Hi there, typically 6 mth olds are on 2 hr 30 or 2 hr 45.  You have an A in the morning of 2.5 and she gives you a good nap.  Then you have a 2 hr middle A and she still gives you a good nap.  So it could be that she's just used to going to sleep at those times, her body has become accustomed to it.  It could actually be too much sleep at the wrong times and/or the need for more A time.  Have you tried extending her middle A to beyond 2 hrs?

Unless she can do 3 hrs A time most LO's are still taking a CN to bedtime.  It's around 6 mths that they often start fighting the CN and signaling a need for more A time and less day sleep.  The A time at the end of the day, if too long, can cause OT no matter what the naps in the day are like.  So what if you capped her afternoon nap at 1.5 hours - would she be more inclined to take a CN?

It's more about balance at this age, they want to drop sleep needs but they really can't stay awake long enough to do it without causing OT!