Author Topic: LOs in the kitchen  (Read 1747 times)

Offline kimbo613

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cait - 23 mo
LOs in the kitchen
« on: February 03, 2010, 05:36:38 am »
DS is sooooo interested in everything that goes on in the kitchen.  I have heard some talk about their LOs helping with dinner and I would love to do this with DS, but have no clue where to start.  There is so much that he can't do (hot stove, sharp knives, raw meat, etc.) I'm having trouble thinking of things that he can do.  What can a one-year-old do in the kitchen?
-Kim

I breastfed for a total of 2yrs, 3months, and 1week

Offline Idahomom

• -Jen-
  • Showing Appreciation 23
Re: LOs in the kitchen
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 05:48:39 am »
I can't remember what DS1 did at 1yo, but some things come to mind (all with your help of course): pouring things, stirring, counting (how many cups of flour you've poured in for example), mashing things with a potato masher (bananas for banana bread).  As I recall it was often enough for DS to just stand on this little stool and watch me while I told him everything I was doing.

*ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig*

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 06:32:28 am »
Putting chopped up bits of veggies one by one into the pot. Stirring (an empty pan with a wooden spoon).

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 07:04:24 am »
Lots of the above! My new avatar is a pic of DS transferring veggies I had chopped and left on the tray for him to put into the casserole dish.  I let him put potatoes in the pot, stir sauces and things with my help,. I pull his highchair up to the counter backwards and he stands on it and that way can't get out, and let him do things like that.  Most often when he is done he inches over to the sink and I turn the water on for him and he plays - he likes letting measuring cups fill up and then dump them into an empty pitcher. (And then dump 2L of water on my floor!!! Good thing he likes mopping, too!)

I also have homemade playdoh which is just flour, salt and water and if I need him to stay helping and not run off quite yet then I get that out and he can play with it on the counter top while I continue making dinner. That way it's not getting real playdoh into our food by accident, if he does get some in, it's only dough!

Offline kimbo613

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cait - 23 mo
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 19:49:03 pm »
Great ideas.  Thanks for getting my mind going :)  I'll have to try the highchair, mashi.  I was wondering how to get him up to the counter.  I had tried with our stepstool to let him see what is going on, but that is way too scary!  When DH is home, he often gets enlisted to hold DS up so he can see.  It's actually quite funny to see him try to hold on to DS as he is wiggling to see if my arm gets in the way or something.  Last night he nearly climbed over DH's shoulders when I took the pasta to the sink to drain and DH didn't move fast enough :)
-Kim

I breastfed for a total of 2yrs, 3months, and 1week

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 11:38:01 am »
Our highchair is a wooden one, with a flat "seat" and flat back and tray, so it's sturdy and supportive.  I think DH is still quite wary of whether or not it is safe but I am never more than an arm's reach away and always have my eye on him as well. He also has learned that if I catch him leaning too far out or if he lifts one foot up then he gets out and that's it for being at the counter for the day...took him a while to learn that an accept it but now that he knows, we are good!