Author Topic: 6 month old fights sleep, where to start?  (Read 9400 times)

Offline zoonerdog

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 month old fights sleep, where to start?
« on: February 03, 2010, 09:33:01 am »
My lo gets very upset before she goes asleep. We have been saying that she just want to go asleep or that she just a bad sleeper. I know now it`s because we of accidental parenting but i dont know how to fix it.

She is 6 months old next week  on solids, has terrible difficulty taking a bott and only really takes it in her bouncer( again because of us).

Naps are a diaster after a 20 minute crying match she sleeps for 30/40mins which in most cases i have avoided by going to my mums by car or walking.
For example it`s just gone 9 am and i have her in her pram asleep and ready to walk in order to extend her naps.

She has a bath at 7pm  and fights with her dad to get a botttle into her and will scream the house down , which leads to rocking or walking the corrridor.She is asleep by 8.30

We put her in a small cot in the sitting room and then bring her to the cot with us at 10.30 where most times she will wake for a bottle drink 3/4 oz and sleep until 1am. Then its into our bed with us where she sleeps until 6.30am.
I have convinced myself that it didnt bother me but im  honest as my first child i have  never let her cry out in the cot and 99% intervene too early so she has never been able to put herself back to sleep.

Something has to change and i am willing to do anything for my lo happiness and that of my dh.
So much is wrong i dont know where to start. please help

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 6 month old fights sleep, where to start?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 09:40:28 am »
Can you post what a normal/average/yesterday day looks like? It sounds like she might be overtired.

Offline zoonerdog

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:34:04 am »
 Without any intervention (walking or car)
 She plays for an hour after  sleep and food so the A is a combination of
efore sleep and after food if that makes sense.
 up at 6.30
E- 50Z (7 am)
A- 1 HR 45
S- 40 MINS(8.45)
E- solid and 6oz (11)
A- 2HRS
S- 1 HR (1)
E- solid and  5 oz (1.30_
A- 2 HR 30 MINS
S-  40 MINS (3.30)
E- 4 OZ small solid
A-  2 HRS
s 30 MINS (5.30)
A- bath
E- 7oz
Bed 8.30

To be honest this is the norm. I try to extend her nap times with a walk or trip out.
If we are out and her sleep is disturbed she is very hard to get back.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:43:39 am »
I can't really tell what is going on from your routine - did she go from 9.30am-1pm without any sleep? I would try to make sure she is never awake for longer than 2.5hrs MAX (less after a short nap). Also her day is too long - we need to work to a 12 hour day/night so if she is awake for the day at 6.30am she needs to be asleep for the night by 7pm. How do you get her to fall asleep for her naps and at bedtime, are you using shush-pat/PUPD?

Also, 3 meals of solids is a lot for 6 months old?

As a guide, an 'ideal' routine at 6 months might be:

Awake and milk: 6.30am
Solids: 7.30am
Nap: 9am
Awake and milk: 10.30am
Solids: 12pm
Nap: 1pm
Awake and milk: 2.30pm
Nap 5pm
Awake: 5.30pm
Last milk: 6pm
Asleep for the night 6.30pm
Dreamfeed 10pm

Offline tlharmonia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 13:45:47 pm »
Hi there,

I had quite similar experience with my son (same age). Here u r my letters, u might find good ideas  there for your dd.
We started a new EASY on Saturday 30th January and we r just getting so well, a lot better from day to day. The most difficult was the first day with loads fight, screaming, etc. but when u look at their face u know imediatly that it is just because they r too tired and also they dont understand why u try another thing with him to make him/her asleep, from 2nd day it is like Heaven...
2 pages so u can quickly read it through.

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=163832.0

Dont worry. The only thing is that u have to be very patient and not want to do it very quickly. U know for the goood and long lasting things u need time ;)

Let us know how things go on.

Viki xx

Offline zoonerdog

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 13:17:20 pm »
She usually falls asleep in my arms in the morning with rocking, second  and third nap are usually pushchair or car. Tried Pu/pd went well then regressed DH  , Found it incredibly difficult so it fell apart and she ended up over christmas in our bed and now cries around 1 am every night to get in the bed!!Night time  sleep again loads of fighting. I feel like i need to start all over again.

Everything is a fight with my LO. be it feeding, getting in pram.car seat,putting on coat  etc.lately she shouts all the time. Everyone says its personalityand as a first child just grin and bear it.

I feel that i have spoiled her and now she has no independence from me and i am totally at a loss at what to do

My DH is a brillant support but hates the pu/pd.

Please help me and my LO i am lost.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 13:55:47 pm »
If DH isn't on side with PUPD I really don't know what to suggest... :( The longer she goes being rocked/walked/driven to sleep, the harder it is going to be to break those props - and believe me, rocking a burly toddler who doesn't want to sleep is TOUGH.

Offline tlharmonia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 16:23:52 pm »
Hi there.
If u read my letters I can still suggest the same. My ds didnt like pupd at all, so I did another trick. Just sat next to him. Still do but step by step I always sit a bit further from the bed, and hope in a week or 2 he can do it on his own at all.
First time he screamed 1,5 hrs with no stop, but at least I was there with him, that gave him a security. 2nd time only 40 mins. then theres no more scream, sometimes a little cry which helps him to fall asleep, also the first teth r just coming out, but by now, depends how tired he is, between 25 and 9 mins. he is asleep. Try it, be patient, trust your LO and dont forget that screaming is just his u know babies know that moms get sorry so they do, u give them a cuddle, they know...u can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!