Author Topic: Teethbrushing - Teaching how to spit toothpaste  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Giorgina

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Teethbrushing - Teaching how to spit toothpaste
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:08:11 am »
Not sure where to post this but how do you teach your LO how to spit the toothpaste out?  David (2y 10 mo) is constantly swallowing it.  I can't beleive I am asking how to teach him to spit, LOL.

Offline ireneee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Teethbrushing - Teaching how to spit toothpaste
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 15:03:54 pm »
Hi Giorgina,
I have no idea. I was wondering that myself.
Have you tried to do it yourself and trying to get David to copy you? Maybe make it a competition - who can spit out the most toothpaste?
I'm going to keep an eye on this one as I'll need to know soon. At the moment, I just use the tiniest amount of toothpaste but it does get swallowed!

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 18:38:04 pm »
I, too, am having this problem with my 28 mo.  She simulates spitting, but I have never seen anything come out.  Perhaps it is because I am still using a pea sized bit of toothpaste.  I know she knows how to spit, because she enjoys making little spit bubbles a lot (Oh, joy), but I can never seem to translate that to the teeth brushing thing.  So, I suspect this is a common problem.  It's kind of a weird use of muscles for them to master.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 14:04:36 pm »
We practiced with water in the bath tub for a long time.  Until she was able to spit, we used a fluoride free toothpaste which was safe to swallow.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months