Author Topic: Difference between teething red cheeks and allergy red cheeks?  (Read 78157 times)

Offline tanya032009

• *Tanya*
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Mr. Blue Eyes
Difference between teething red cheeks and allergy red cheeks?
« on: February 07, 2010, 20:24:14 pm »
Hi ladies...looking for help once again!

Can someone shed some light on how to tell the difference between red cheeks caused by teething and red cheeks caused by a food allergy? My DS's cheeks have been red on and off since 5 months, and I always thought it to be teething (though we have yet to see a tooth). I'm beginning to think it's something more...they look so red, can see capillaries, are a little warm, with some little bumps, and it's spreading now to the chin. Somedays they are perfectly clear. Today was probably the worst.

I am EBF and have been off all dairy since he was 6 weeks old. He did not have skin issues when I was eating dairy, mostly stomach issues (nothing major) so I went off as a precaution, no extreme tests for diagnosis. I have had trace amounts of dairy from time to time (like McDonald's fries) but there seems to be no immediate or reaction that day.

We are on solids and did the 4 day introduction bit, but nothing obvious. Maybe I didn't pay close enough attention and dismissed and red cheeks as teething?

I will try to attach a picture soon, if it will help!

Would appreciate any discussion on this!

Thanks

Tanya
URL=http://www.alterna-tickers.com][/URL]

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
Re: Difference between teething red cheeks and allergy red cheeks?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 18:43:25 pm »
I'll be back later to answer more, DH needs the computer for a while now. BUt have a look at this, it's a post of mine from when ym DS was about 4ish months old

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=137151.0

Offline tanya032009

• *Tanya*
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Mr. Blue Eyes
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 19:17:53 pm »
[flash=200,200][/flash

Here are my little bub's red cheeks...I thought I saw a white dot on his gum line yesterday, but today, nothing.

Luckily, after a 3 month wait, I see a paed this wednesday!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 19:38:17 pm »
Oh dear me! That does not look like teething cheeks at all to me! That it is all down his chin, and quite raised looking and blotchy.  To contrast, teething cheeks in my DS look "rosey" like he's been outside to play and has a bit of a flush.  When they are particularly bad in some LOs I would say they are RED instead of rosey but it really does seem to be more of a "red cheeks" than a red face and chin.

Your LO's face most definitely looks "allergic" to me although that doesn't mean it is to a food, it could be an environmental allergy, or soap, perfume, something along those lines.

Take as many pictures as you can to the paed, any notes you have of other symptoms he may have shown.  I would even take dated pictures of days when his cheeks and face were clear if you have any. 

HTH??

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 19:56:17 pm »
oh, tanya! I don't know anything about allergies ..but I agree with Mashi..it could be a reaction to something..

*hugs*
*Sarah*

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 00:37:24 am »
It looks "allergic" to me too...Spencer gets that with any reactions she has, whether it is from ingestion or skin contact (ketchup & dish soap does it to both my girls if the get it on their skin) I would take the pics with you and notes, I need to start compiling stuff for Spencer's allergist appt soon.
Heidi

Offline *Jo*

• 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 05:17:03 am »
heres some pics of Caleb, the first one is a MPI reaction and the second is a normal teething one

Offline tanya032009

• *Tanya*
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Mr. Blue Eyes
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 23:07:04 pm »
Thanks for the pics..those cheeks look awfully familiar!

Well... I am still not further ahead...

I saw the paed who said is was eczema because of our cold, dry weather and to use vaseline!

Admittedly, his cheeks were much less red at the time and the photo I had did not really do it justice.

And, we have our first tooth, after much agony!

I really do think it was MSPI, because I did get a little slack and had MacDonald's french fries...which contains trace dairy! I should have known better! I think I am just wishful thinking that his MSPI issues have resolved. The paed thinks I should try eating soy to open up more food choices for myself and him. Eeekkkk.

So..the mystery continues!

Offline *Jo*

• 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 23:12:42 pm »
I was also told to use eczema cream for Calebs cheeks, they did help a little but realistically if its that irritated its more than just the weather. however since i havent used dairy i have noticed his cheeks havent done the same thing even in similar weather....

Offline JettasMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 18:19:11 pm »
How long would my lo's cheeks stay flushed if it was teething. It seems it has been almost a month and no teeth yet?

Thanks for any advice.