Author Topic: Mum and 2-y-o both bored indoors  (Read 3042 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Mum and 2-y-o both bored indoors
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:14:19 am »
Ugh I hate this weather so cold dark windy and rainy. We are watching too much TV and going a bit crazy. How are you spending the days?

Offline ~emmalou~

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • ~~The road to a friends house is never long~~
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:20:02 am »
Ugh I hate this weather so cold dark windy and rainy. We are watching too much TV and going a bit crazy. How are you spending the days?

come see meeeeeeeee :D lol

yep lots of telly etc..... whatever gets you through atm i guess.  we also  have a nintendo wii,very grateful for that!
proud mum to my 3 gorgeous children

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

worrying is as about effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum

Offline maisy

• Showing Appreciation 131
Re: Mum and 2-y-o both bored indoors
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 13:26:12 pm »
I have just been doing some planning for the kids ( I am a chldminder) so inwould be happy to share some ideas if you like. A lot of them are crafty and messy :p but the kids are all pre school so should be age appropriate

will be back in 5 when the laptop is free x
Lee Ann,

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 14:43:03 pm »

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 22:01:06 pm »
I'm with you Anna - I have a bored, hyper, biting 18 mth old to content with  >:(.

And it could all be solved with a good run around outside for an hour  ::).

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 22:06:14 pm »
When I heard the snow was coming, I went to Michaels and got new paints, and a little kit of wooden figurines to paint, and some molding clay.  I was scared we'd be climbing the walls!!!!  So far so good!

Build a fort with blankets over some cahirs or a table...and bring in a flashlight...I promise he'll love it and play for hours!

Offline ~Karen~

• Showing Appreciation 98
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 22:16:12 pm »
Let me know if you fancy a trip up to Hertfordshire as I have no intention of leaving the house until Spring  :P

Offline brenda2

• Showing Appreciation 227
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:02:12 am »
just read that link - great ideas.

hide and seek is a favorite to the point of me hating the game but it will keep her entertained for hours for sure.  i run out of energy for it before she does!

forts with flashlights and stickers and puzzles (i have bought so many puzzles i can't believe it) are also great.

love the obstacle course idea but don't really have room indoors.

i go to the toy store/craigslist and buy a bunch of toys every once in a while (mostly puzzles, sticker books, ABC game, educational things) that i knew she would like and save them for when things are really bad.  like the 5th day in a row that it's rainy and she's starting to go nuts and i pull out a new game (or even an ols game she hasn;t seen in a while and it helps the day go a little better.  they need age appropriate things so i'm trying not to look at it like i'm spoiling her.  i'd rather her have a new puzzle than watch so much tv!

we also go out most days even if it's cold or rainy - she has her own umbrella and rain suit and we go to the coffee shop for banana bread or to the park and jump in puddles, or even just around the block in the stroller - she's not cold under all the clothes and with the rain cover on the stroller and i'm getting used to walking in the rain too.  i also do a lot of drop in classes at the nearby community center.  music class or open gym type things are great for this age and not too expensive.

we do a lot of playdates too with other kids the same age.

she has just started to really like "i spy with my little eye" but she's a bit older than your lo.

Offline Gypsymom

• aka Shannon
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • DS1 - born May 1/08 DS2 - born May 14/10
    • Rainstorm Whitenoise
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:49:47 am »
When it's really cold for a few days in a row, I take DS to the indoor pool. They have a tots area where the water isn't very deep and it's quite warm. He's spirited so it's great to get some real exercise. It takes heaps of time by the time you go, get ready, play, re-dress, etc, but it almost guarantees a good PM nap!

Offline wardy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 11:05:43 am »
When I was working in the UK with disadvantaged kids I came across heuristic play for babies and toddlers... this is an excellent idea for tots - its really engrossing and stimulating, but quiet and calm at the same time!  Sounds good huh?  You need to collect a few things for it, but for example a Mums group (just a group that meets at home) could gather a variety of stuff and share cause a few tots together doing "heuristic play" is a lovely thing to watch!
Check out this web page for the basics...
http://www.communityplaythings.co.uk/resources/articles/heuristic-play.html

This page has a good list of things to collect to facilitate heuristic play for toddlers (not to be confused with treasure baskets for babies).
http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/vip8/ecc/ECCWebsite/content/binaries/documents/Early_Years830/Heuristic_play_page.pdf?channelOid=null

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 13:47:55 pm »
How is one of those heuristic play bags different to a treasure basket?

Offline wardy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 23:55:25 pm »
The play bags are for toddlers... the treasure basket is for babies.  It's just to do with their mobility so while babies are just sitting exploring the basket contents, the stuff in the play bags can be arranged all over the room for toddlers to wander around inspecting it, putting stuff in tins and baskets, carrying, collecting, sorting etc.

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 19:15:02 pm »
OK that's what I thought, so it's basically the same sorta stuff.