Author Topic: 23 Month Old won't drink milk from anything but a bottle  (Read 4130 times)

Offline kateboundy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
23 Month Old won't drink milk from anything but a bottle
« on: February 15, 2010, 14:35:56 pm »
My LO has had a bottle of milk in the morning and one at night only for about 1 year now. As she is coming up to 2 years old we (actually Daddy had more to do with this plan than me...) to get her to take milk from a cup rather than a bottle.  She has never been a big milk drinker and we decided - after cutting down on amounts - to go cold turkey and just give her milk in a cup when she asked for it at bedtime.  She threw it back in our faces and that was that.  She has even stopped asking for it now..  she doesn't fuss or even bother.  This makes me think she didn't want milk when she asked for it, just the comfort of a bottle.

I guess my question is - should I be worried.  She has literally not had any milk for about 1 week now...  I am giving her smoothies, extra cheese and yogurts and she is really healthy.  Just like to know people's thoughts.

On the plus side, she is drinking so much more liquid - water and weak squash - and as she has had constipation problems I can only see this as a good thing!

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: 23 Month Old won't drink milk from anything but a bottle
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 19:55:38 pm »
As far as i know she really doesn't need milk now. You could give it in a sippy at meals, but she can get just as much calcium and vitamins from cheese and dairy and green veg.

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 20:38:44 pm »
(Hugs). I really think this question, or some variation of it, might be the most asked question on this toddler eating board.  I agree with Anna that the cows milk is not a necessity, if she is getting other sources of calcium, Vitamin D and overall hydration.  What worked for us (and I know many people don't agree with this) is to flavor the milk.  I give my 28 mo warm milk in a sippy, flavored with a small amount (less than one tbsp) of Ovaltime.  I don't squeeze in copious amounts of syrup and never buy prepackaged chocolate milk.  But, the small amount of Ovaltine does the trick.  For me, it has been worth it to get her to drink her milk, esp considering my LO drinks very little of anything else.

Offline kateboundy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 17:48:31 pm »
Thanks for the reasurance... she has just had a huge cup of 'pink' milk actually.. which may be the way forward.  Good to know we are not the only ones!

Offline Texomamama

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 17:25:34 pm »
Yes, do as I say, not as I do.  I, personally, have not had a glass of white milk since Richard Nixon was President of the united States, and I only have chocolate milk 2 or 3 times a year.  I almost certainly will have osteoporosis....

Offline J & J's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 21:12:13 pm »
We're in the same boat too with our 19month old DD!  She will not drink her milk in anything than her bottle!!  She doesn't drink all of it as well!!!  But she does have a lot of dairy during the day.  She won't drink it all, but she still cries for it in the morning and at night time   ???  So I think it's a bit of a habit that she's got in to!!!  Might try the ovaltine!!  Would you still give it at the morning times (before breakfast) and before bedtime, or incorporate it in to her day??
Emigrated from the UK to Australia 1st July 2009!!

My blogspot - fatracslim.blogspot.com

Offline Texomamama

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 03:45:17 am »
I still give her about 6-7 ounces first thing in the morning and right before bath time in the evening.  For us, it is part of the routine, and it is also my DD's most important source of hydration since she does not tend to drink lots or water or juice throughout the day.  I will probably keep doing this indefinitely as long as she wants it.  I like the Ovaltine b/c it does not have as much sugar as the syrup, and it has lots of vitamins (although in the small amounts I use it, she is probably not getting as that much in the way of vitamins).

Offline Jann

• Be Well
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • My Little Monkey
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 15:14:54 pm »
Well my Lo is almost 2.5 and drinks lots and lots of strawberry milk in a sippy.  he will have about 9 0z int the morning, 9 oz in the afternoon before  nap and another 9 oz sippy before bed.  If he is feeling under the weather or sleepy he will ask for strawberry milk and ask to watch a bit of tv.  He loves his milk, sometimes he doesn't eat as much because he will have asked for milk before hand, so i try to delay the next meal or just go on with my routine.  It does stress me that he drinks so much, i would prefer he eats, but he is super healthy and does have a varied diet, meat, fish, beans, and fruit and veggies.

any ideas on how to try to cut down, with having a tantrum.  If i give him less, he asks for more, or asks me to fill it to the top.  Maybe i should switch to 1% or dilute?

any ideas?

jan

Offline kateboundy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 14:26:47 pm »
Sorry long time no reply... 
we are still continuing with the pink milk and I don't give her any in the morning unless she asks for it.  Basically the new plan is that i give her pink milk when I get home from work / she gets  home from nursery and I just let her sip on it all evening.  After her bath I bring her back downstairs and she if she wants to finish it off. She is not having loads but some.. which is better than nothing...  xx

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 15:39:16 pm »
Yep - no need at all for milk, specifically. There is nothing in a glass of milk that is not in cheese and yogurt, sour cream, soft cheese, etc.  Most of the time we use vanilla flavoured Alpro soy milk and DS goes mad for it.  Not fully the same nutrition wise as cow's milk but the calcium content is equal.  Only 2% fat though so certainly needs extra fat in his diet. 

Offline birdie

• Showing Appreciation 127
  • Wyoming, USA
    • The Doula Advantage
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 07:23:53 am »
I can't speak to the milk issue but can say that we has a bottle regression around that age.  Good luck!
Certified Birth Doula (CBI)

Mom of Four Angels: WENDY

Always Remembered: REECE BRADFORD born still at 38 weeks (August 4, 2006)

Our Miracle Boy: IAN MICHAEL (October 17, 2007)