Author Topic: long distance car trip with 2.5 month old  (Read 1886 times)

Offline sawyersmomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
long distance car trip with 2.5 month old
« on: July 12, 2009, 18:24:42 pm »
What about traveling long distances with a 2.5 month old.  He's doing great with his schedule & is pretty flexible- it seems - when we do short trips around home but we're heading from Denver to Yellowstone.  We'll have a long 8 hr plus drive the first day.  The second day will be 5 - 6 hrs & then we'll be in Yellowstone for 3 days.  On the way back we'll take a shorter route that will have us in the car for about 6 hrs each day.  I'm terrified that he'll scream the whole time or sleep the whole time & totally trow off his schedule. 
Any advice for traveling with one that young?
Thanks!!  I'm freakin out already & the trips not for 3 weeks!
:)
Clarissa

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 22:24:40 pm »
i would just try to think about what his routine is  - when we travel we stop every coupl eof hours for the girls to have a play and snack/meal, so with a smaller lo i would do the same - when it is his A time i would stop the car somewhere that looks nice and go for a stroll, have him engaged and looking around, play with him on a picnic blanket in a park etc. do his feed and so on in the light, then do your wind down, pop him in the car and drive for the next 2 hours hoping he naps well in that time.  when he wakes from his nap plan to stop for your next break at his E time and do the same (and make sure you guys eat too at those stops so you are not having to take him out of the car when you suddenly need to eat and then disrupt a nap when you don't know how each section wil go)  HTH.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline sawyersmomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 18:43:22 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I hadn't thought about making the car time darker more like is nap time in his crib.  I just worry about either having a screaming baby for the drive or having a sleeping baby the whole trip that then doesn't sleep at night - at which point I will want to scream!
:>
Clarissa