Author Topic: What to do when you can't extend naps?  (Read 884 times)

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
What to do when you can't extend naps?
« on: February 15, 2010, 19:43:11 pm »
We've made quite a lot of progress with napping over the last few weeks and my 13 week old will generally now have 2 good naps in the morning of 2hrs and 1hr20 - 2hrs over lunch (i often have to wake her from them).  We are working on the afternoon naps still....!  Anyway, if she's OT and goes to sleep tense or crying, she'll wake up from her nap after about 45 minutes, crying.  I try and leave her if it sounds like a half cry and is stopping as much as it's starting, but as soon as it escalates or becomes continuous I'll go in.  I don't know if it's that I'm starting too late (though it often ends this way whenever I go in) but she is impossible to calm whilst still in her room.  While she's in her moses basket or in our arms, she cries continuously.  As soon as we turn on the light, draw the blind or take her out of the room she stops and is all smiles again.  Why is that and is there anything I can do to lengthen naps like these?  Shush/pat doesn't seem to work.  I pretty much always know when they're going to happen as like I say, I can tell from how she goes to sleep, though she does sometimes catch me out and it's those ones where I'm most likely to see if she'll settle herself.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: What to do when you can't extend naps?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 19:54:07 pm »
It is really difficult to extend OT naps. I mean, it's always worth a try but I personally hardly ever managed it, the only thing that worked was getting the A time just right.

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 20:13:23 pm »
That's what I thought.  Thanks!

Offline mokey_cat

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 20:32:28 pm »
I also struggled to extend OT naps so I just tried for 5/10 mins to get her back to sleep but if she refused, I would just get her up then have a shorter A time so either an earlier nap or an earlier bedtime.  She would also be happy once the light was on and she was up, in fact she is still the same  :P.  Finding the right A time was the key for us - it did take a while though  ::)

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 21:09:31 pm »
Yeah, it seems to change every day as well and sometimes I can read her cues and sometimes I can't.  She often won't yawn until I start her naptime routine so her cues before then can be hard to spot, especially if I'm not paying her 100% attention.  Can they have different A times for different naps?  Lilys seem shorter first thing, then a bit longer and I think she must need a shorter A time for the afternoon again but not managed to find it yet!  We had our first UT nap at midday today so obviously need to tweak that one a bit as well but we are getting there!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 21:10:25 pm »
Yeh it's very common for them to need the first A of the day or the last A to be shorter than the others.