Author Topic: How best to introduce eggs and cow's milk?  (Read 3281 times)

Offline koe2moe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
How best to introduce eggs and cow's milk?
« on: February 16, 2010, 15:35:40 pm »
I know that after 12 months, it's good to introduce cow's milk but just before DS turned 12 months, he was having 3 full weeks of high fever and flu/cold and then one week later, he got diarrhea for 4 weeks.  Only since last Saturday has he been cleared from the diarrhea!  phew!!  I hope it stays away for as long as possible :P

I also didn't introduced cooked egg yolk earlier.  Is it safe to introduce full eggs?  What is the best way to offer?  Scrambled?  Hard-boiled and chopped up? 

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.  DS is 14 mo now

Offline K's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • My Textbook baby!
Re: How best to introduce eggs and cow's milk?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 01:51:06 am »
With egg, I did scrambled whole egg around 11 months.  She's never been completely in love with it but recently we tried a fried egg (fried in butter, yum!) and she actually ate 1/2 of it.  For milk, we mixed it with her formula gradually altering the ratio until she was on all whole milk - that took almost 3 months (she's very stubborn!). 
Tracy (40) + DH (46) + DD (Sept. 1, 2008) + DKitties (x2)

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 03:02:25 am »
Ditto as K's Mom.  The slow mixing with formula (over about 2 weeks) was the approach we used.  As far as eggs, my DD will only eat scrambled (in fact, that's what she's had for dinner the past 3 days).  I think they probably like the texture better than a fried egg (esp if it is runny).  Theoretically, I would think hard boiled would work too, but my 28 mo never seemed to like them.  Another thought that might be fun is to make an "egg in the basket" (or other name variations), where you take a piece of toast, hollow it out in the middle, then crack an egg into it and cook it in a skillet.  Good luck.  Eggs are so easy and full of protein, they make a quick go to meal. 

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 03:09:23 am »
I've always just given DD the same eggs as I eat for breakfast. She seems to like them all ways I've offered: scrambled, fried, poached, omelet....I add things like cheese, veggies and meats sometimes. I've also made the "egg in the basket" in the toast as pp mentioned.

Enjoy!

We also did the gradual formula to cow's milk thing. Worked well after a couple of weeks. :)

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 22:27:24 pm »
Thanks ladies!  What a good idea about mixing with formula!  I guess you mean like 1oz of cow's milk and 6oz of formula and then increase the amount of milk gradually, right?  Not using milk to make formula? :P  Do you give milk warmed up like you would with formula? 

As for eggs, I thought LOs shouldn't eat raw yolk :P  Would you add salt to scrambled or fried egg?  Personally the taste of eggwhite makes me sick.  I have to add a tiny bit of salt.  Would you LOs eat toast before they got their molars?  I couldn't get DS to eat toast... hmmm  he loves bread, though

Offline K's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • My Textbook baby!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 02:37:09 am »
DD does eat toast and has for a few months now, before those molars started showing.  For the egg, I always cook it completely (I can't stand runny eggs myself) and I don't season it.  When I fry an egg in butter I find it gives it a nice flavour from the butter and scrambled eggs always taste nice and creamy. 

For the milk/formula mixing, yup we did 1 oz milk to 6 oz. formula and gradually increased the milk - like I said she can be very stubborn and sometimes when we hit the 1/2 and 1/2 point she'd refuse the bottle point blank so we just let her figure it out.  Then one day she hoovered a bottle of whole milk and hasn't looked back.  We still warm it but not to the same degree we warmed her formula (she liked that hot! crazy girl).
Tracy (40) + DH (46) + DD (Sept. 1, 2008) + DKitties (x2)

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 04:02:33 am »
Again, ditto as K's Mom.  Added milk in lieu of formula in 1 ounce increments, and warmed it the same as I would a bottle.

As far as seaoning eggs, it is always a good idea to see if they will eat something without the seasoning before adding it.  After all, if it is not necessary, then all the better.  However, I personally feel salt is not nearly as big a deal as some make it out to be.  The human body is extremely efficient at eliminating salt.  The biggest (and worst) source of sodium is all the processed foods we eat.  Adding salt to eggs is a negligable amount.  Just my opinion.

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 18:11:40 pm »
We still warm it but not to the same degree we warmed her formula (she liked that hot! crazy girl).
It's a funny coincidence that DS also liked his formula really warm!!!  And when it's slightly cooler, he would push the bottle away LOL... 

As far as seaoning eggs, it is always a good idea to see if they will eat something without the seasoning before adding it.  After all, if it is not necessary, then all the better.  However, I personally feel salt is not nearly as big a deal as some make it out to be.  The human body is extremely efficient at eliminating salt.  The biggest (and worst) source of sodium is all the processed foods we eat.  Adding salt to eggs is a negligable amount.  Just my opinion.

I also think that a little bit of salt is ok.  But then it's a good point that when it's not needed, then it's best without. 

Thanks!  I'll discuss with DH when to start cow's milk :)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 20:20:16 pm »
We never used to heat up DD's formula, just room temp. She wanted her milk warmed up at first though and I gradually got her to take it cold.

As for eggs, she likes them plain or with things added, like the veggies, cheese, or meats. But she'll eat them plain with no salt/pepper or anything.

I LOVE slightly runny yolk, but my whites need to be FIRM or it's disgusting. I like to dip my toast. DD seems to like eggs this way just fine.

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 23:13:38 pm »
I LOVE slightly runny yolk, but my whites need to be FIRM or it's disgusting.

I'm exactly that way, too!!  slimy eggwhite IS disgusting :P

update:  tried giving DS fried egg (DH broke the eggyolk while frying so it won't be too runny for fear of salmonella :P).  DS tried and pushed it out twice!  Failed attempt!  :(  going to start cow's milk this week

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 02:05:06 am »
Boo to not liking fried eggs....just yet anyway.

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 14:44:05 pm »
boo indeed!  but then there are so many yummy things out there to try.  I did give him eggs mixed in the fried rice. 

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 19:56:16 pm »
new update: I made fried rice tonight and added scrambled eggs in it.  DS ate probably a quarter of the egg.  :D  I tried to give it sometimes alone (not mixed with the rice, veggies, etc, in one bite).  He ate a few pieces that way also!! :D  When he's less full, he spat it out.  I think it's the texture he's not use to.  At least that's the  first time! :D   Milk mixed with formula: we're on 3rd day.  No rejection so far but he seems to want more!  hmmm  I was warned by the ped that no more than 300ml dairy products per day.  He takes probably 200ml yoghurt at DC already.  I'm not sure how to cut down on dairy.  and also WHY?? 

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 14:51:47 pm »
Probably just to save room for other essential nutrients from other foods. Not entirely sure, but seems to be one of the reasons b/c they fill up and don't have room for solids, etc. Plus dairy is high in calories, so it eats up a large chunk of their daily requirement which lessens as they get older b/c they grow at a slower rate after they hit 12 months or so.

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 22:22:38 pm »
That would make total sense about milk over solids.  I have decided to ignore her anyways.  DS is ill again and was totally dependent on milk.  Once he was a little bit better, he wanted solids.  Night feedings will sort itself out soon when he regains some weight and appetite.  Just hope that i can get some sleep.  Thanks for your response :)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 20:05:11 pm »
Sure.

Hope he feels better soon.