Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #3  (Read 71342 times)

MummyToBen

Re: Baby Sign Langugage Thread #3
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 17:15:13 pm »
We didn't start til 9 or 10 months - we went along to a class, and Ben was the last one to sign anything out of the kids his age  :P, but that was because *I* found it really hard to motivate myself to actually sign to him when I doubted he would actually pick any of them up....not doubting in him, but just hadn't really had much experience of seeing signing 'work' so didn't have very high expectations of how good it would be!!  But once he started signing at 12 months I was SOO excited that we have learnt lots and lots of signs, and DS signs loads in the day now, and it really makes such a difference to his temperament - much less shouting and screaching because is able to communicate most things easily by signing  :)

xx

Offline harekrishnamama

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 14:22:24 pm »
How has the signing words worked with conventional grown up gestures? Did you filter out the signing and replaced it or did it carry on. Has anyone developed their own language between them and their child and has it worked out well?

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 22:41:54 pm »
Just wondering when is the right time to start signing, even if it is to just introduce the signs. And do people have a recommend a book/dvd l could get in the UK. My LO  is nearly 4 months.

I took DS to Sing & Sign classes from 6m old. He didn't start signing until he was a year old ish (just before or just after!) and said his first real word that the same time - Hear and signed *hear*. We continuued with S&S until he about 19m old. Lots of the babes signed much sooner than DS and some around the same time as he did. If you go to their website, there are DVDs you can get which the LOs love - DS still asks to watch them!

The advice we had was to start with a few simple regular signs. What is he most likely to want to communicate - that he wants milk, more, eat, drink etc - or things that he sees or things that he wants to do. We focused on 5 signs for several weeks and then added a few more. But it was only ever a sign per sentence, so "would you like more milk?" was the milk sign.

DS speaks very well. He is 2 this week. He signs. If he wants more, he signs and says more. If he sees a bird, he'll sign bird as he says it. Some of the signs have come after he's learn to say the word, many signs came long before.

DS is spirited. He is a keen communicator, impatient and isn't one for looking at Mama's face or eyes much - he's got things to explore and to see. For us, his ability to sign has been a fantastic help and never a hindrance. He was able to communicate to me and me to him, each understanding oneanother long before he could say many of the words.

I find it particularly helpful even now - when he's across the room playing in a busy group, he can see me and sign (& viceversa - I can forewarn him it's time to go soon etc) and when he's having a meltdown / tantrum / ill, when he's too upset or crying to much too much to speak or be clear he will sign clearly what is wrong (more, angry, pain, broken, eat etc). He and his friends sometimes sign to eachother too - really cute!

I love signing!!

Offline Lola's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #3
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 10:59:24 am »
DS is spirited. He is a keen communicator, impatient and isn't one for looking at Mama's face or eyes much - he's got things to explore and to see. For us, his ability to sign has been a fantastic help and never a hindrance. He was able to communicate to me and me to him, each understanding oneanother long before he could say many of the words.

Thanks for this. My LO is spirited too so this is really interesting to know. I'm really keen to get started. Think I'm impatient and spirited too. Am going to see if there's Sing and Sign in Manchester.

Thanks
<:SOPHIE:>

My Angels in heaven, loved and never forgotten: October 2010 and December 2010

Uploaded with ImageShack.us