Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #3  (Read 71353 times)

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #3
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2010, 21:46:59 pm »
lol..of course you would know it's her daughter then. I haven't seen her son do it! I took a peek around her youtube site but couldn't see it.

Joseph mentioned that signing usually takes off between 8-9 months or 10 months. I'm over the moon that Z is signing now..but she's still no where like her daughter was at 1 year.

Rachel  ..there isn't any reason for why signs that I've been doing for a very long time (such as eat, book, thirsty) isn't picked up, but newer signs are?

Got to finally meet her and both the kids in October.  They are all as wonderful as they seem on YouTube ;)

Every kid picks up signing at a different rate, just like all other things developmental.  The new signs aren't the same old same old.  Keep doing them, all the time.  Some day when he wants a book, he may just sign it to you.

Rachel - seeing as you are trained and all do you think its a problem that I've mixed up the systems?

If you are not going for ASL fluency, I don't think it's a problem.  As long as you are consistent with the sign for eat (be it ASL, BSL, created) it's ok. 

As far as the signs being correct, in their minds they are doing the correct sign.  Just keep showing the correct sign and over time they will correct it too.  Do not start imitating their sign, it will confuse them.  You can certainly guide their hands to help as well.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2010, 22:51:18 pm »
Congrats CM  Sounds like he's picking it up
I hope so. Ali BTW.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2010, 22:41:43 pm »
We had friends over today and K was showing his sign and they were excited to start trying with their 8MO. I loved the video. I migt film K doing some signs so we can remember how cute it is when he is older.

Offline Kimberlina

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2010, 22:54:41 pm »
Hi girls! Excited about doing this with DS - but have a big problem remembering to do it myself! Any tips??
♥ Kim

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2010, 00:56:40 am »
Hi Kim!!

I thought the EXACT same thing when I started reading signing books (lol..my lo was so young..a few weeks old). I tried memorizing the signs, but I couldn't "get" it and kept forgetting. Fast forward to when I did start..I started with three..more, all done (which I dropped later and replaced with finished), and milk. Three signs! I could handle that :)

Now she's getting older and i'm adding more to her vocab..and I know this sounds silly, but signing actually is pretty much signs that you would use anyways! The signs just make sense, ykwim? Airplane...finished...book (two hands together closed and then open like a book!)...cat and dog are not so so obvious but bird is. I'm rambling but with repetition and using as many opportunities as you can it'll be like second nature :)
*Sarah*

Offline Kimberlina

« Reply #155 on: November 28, 2010, 15:14:14 pm »
Thanks Sarah! I'm trying to properly do milk (bottle) & food (we're BLW) - but I never remember to do the signs before/during!!
♥ Kim

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #156 on: November 28, 2010, 16:13:41 pm »
maybe print out some flash cards and have them in the kitchen?
*Sarah*

Offline Kimberlina

« Reply #157 on: November 28, 2010, 18:07:35 pm »
hm! That's an idea!!
♥ Kim

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2010, 18:16:01 pm »
i'v started to guide DS hands. He's 14 months and still no sign of signs (pardon the pun!) I know he understands them though. I've also started to ask him to do the sign...Today I also showed him the videos on youtube of other children signing...not sure if that helps but he likes to look at pictures of other kids anyway...

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #159 on: December 09, 2010, 20:02:41 pm »
Can I have some advice on introducing signs to a 2 year old... she doesnt speak properly and has very very limited words and cant even communicate to us (DD1's speak didnt make alot of sense to others when she was growing up BUT we could understand her)

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2010, 11:44:13 am »
Louisa - same way you introduce signing to little ones, you can introduce to big ones.  Start with as many signs as you are ready to and do them ALL.THE.TIME.  Start with things that interest her and her basic needs (eat, water, diaper change, sleep, baby, car, cat, dog, mommy, daddy).  Remember to ALWAYS say the word when you sign it so your signing does not replace the verbal.  I know you are UK, but there is a fantastic ASL dictionary here:
http://www.babysignlanguagedictionary-mysmarthands.com/Baby_Sign_Language_Dictionary_-_My_Smart_Hands.html

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

tigerlilly905

« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2010, 03:01:24 am »
Kim - I printed out a chart with common signs and keep it on the fridge. It helps to remind me to do them throughout the day...and I've found once you get going it becomes natural.

DS just started doing "milk" recently and "more", although "more" is moreso clapping, so sometimes he does mean "more" other times he's just excited and claps! :)

Offline Kimberlina

« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2010, 20:05:40 pm »
Kim - I printed out a chart with common signs and keep it on the fridge. It helps to remind me to do them throughout the day...and I've found once you get going it becomes natural.

Thank you so much! I think I will do this (thank you to Sarah, too!)!!
♥ Kim

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2010, 21:40:27 pm »
K has started saying thanks ("ang") with the sign without prompting which is nice as I know he understandsthe context. I am considering what new signs to bring in...

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2010, 07:17:26 am »
we got our first sign!!! Yay after about 6 months of signing the other day I said to him. Do you want a drink and he gave me his yes nod and I said, well, you know what, can you show me the sign for it....and he did! and has done since!

yay!