Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #3  (Read 71622 times)

Offline Chicane

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #3
« Reply #225 on: February 16, 2011, 15:37:38 pm »
great idea...going to try it.
thanks!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #226 on: February 16, 2011, 21:17:21 pm »
Love the baby orange idea.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline x95stocchier

• Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2011, 01:35:39 am »
Chicane-We just signed orange, but then, mandarins are pretty much all we gave him in that category, so it wasn't confusing.  If you do regular oranges too, the I love the baby orange idea!

Amy-I started signing to DS at 6 months and at 13 months he finally signed back....We did the standard eating signs (milk, all done, more etc)  but once I knew he understood them (even though he didn't sign back...like he would come crawling over when I signed milk, or open his mouth when I signed more) I started adding more signs.  I found the first sign he signed back was something really important to him, which happened to be "outside".  For my DD we started with the same 3 eating signs, but the first thing she signed back was kitty.  Either way, once they got going it snowballed and they were both signing a dozen words within another month.  Good luck!  Nothing is better than finally being able to communicate!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:41:09 am by x95stocchier »
Sarah

Offline timmysmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #228 on: February 17, 2011, 02:32:14 am »
Thanks everyone!  So glad to hear it has been such a positive experience for everyone!  I love the baby orange idea!  So yesterday T really started doing the more sign for real.  He did everyone he wanted more food or I said more.  There was no mistaking it.  We try all done, but he is trying to say it instead of sign- which is fine with me.  He only makes d sounds so he says ah da.  Very similar to dada and baba(bye-bye).  I would think he would get all the food signs first because that is when I sign the most.  We have great eye contact and he is watching my every move.  The rest of the day he is moving too fast to catch his eye lol!  So excited to be communicating!  I've tried the milk sign, but he already has his own signal for bfing-  he whines until I pick him up then he turns horizontal and gets into position lol!  It is clear as day :P

Offline Chicane

« Reply #229 on: February 17, 2011, 06:10:01 am »
i started a sign for BFing too but DS had his own ideas...he now sticks his tongue in and out when its bf time...so i started doing it too!

Offline x95stocchier

« Reply #230 on: February 17, 2011, 14:28:01 pm »
that is too funny.  I always just sign milk for bf.
Sarah

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #231 on: February 17, 2011, 23:41:50 pm »
I just pat my chest for BF and Cadan does it too when I pick him up.
Cadan has also started doing the sleep sign when I tell him it is sleepy time.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2011, 13:46:29 pm »
K started signing potty from 10months think we prob started around 6mo. It was about 13 months before he had several signs.
Hoover in my sign book is a fist like holding a small hand held hoover and moving forwards and back. pasta is like both hands in the v shape and lifting up like dishing up spaghetti with 2 forks. We also do dirty right palm rubbing back  of left hand. That is K's most recent sign. I am running out of new sign ideas cos K is saying so much now. When do you stop? I guess for harder words. We also use the same sign for all types of orange fruit. We don't really do the big ones though - too hard to peel.

Offline Chicane

« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2011, 16:58:20 pm »
My sister did signing with both her girls and they just phased it out themselves when they knew enough words. So I guess just keep going and K will stop doing them when he's ready. Interestingly, the signs would come back if my niece was tired or sometimes just out of the blue, and when her sister was born and ready to start signing she remembered them all and helped teach her little sister! So cute.

If your LO modifies a sign (eg. biscuit is palm on elbow but DS does palm on wrist) do you guys continue with the original sign or adopt your LOs modified sign?

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2011, 18:06:24 pm »
I just continue with what I was doing. So the original sign. She doesn't do cracker (knocking on elbow) but instead does some sort of knocking on her arm. She also does soooo many signs a little off but I just continue to do it the way I learned it as I'd get so confused with all the variations.
*Sarah*

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #235 on: February 20, 2011, 19:33:47 pm »
Do the original sign.  They think they are doing the sign correctly, the way you do it.  If you change it to be the way he is doing it, it will confuse them.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #236 on: February 20, 2011, 19:36:53 pm »
I found that DS did some signs "wrongly" but as his dexterity improved he got them right .... I suppose it's the same as the advice not to copy how your LO is saying a word (eg if they say "bo bo" instead of "bottle", they think they are saying "bottle" so get confused if you then call it a "bo bo") ...
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline x95stocchier

« Reply #237 on: February 20, 2011, 19:50:54 pm »
Ditto, we always continue to sign the "correct" way.  Just like a mispronounced word, I'd repeat back: "Oh, you want a cracker?" signing it correctly.

We continued to sign with DS a long time and added more signs even as he was building a verbal vocabulary.  Once he started to constantly say a word we just sort of lost the sign, though they also came back for him (sometimes easier than us) when we started signing with #2.  He is excited about teaching our new baby signs.  :D
Sarah

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #238 on: February 20, 2011, 20:01:53 pm »
DS is 2 and still signs words that we don't understand when he says them .... I am always amazed at how many he remembers (he knows at least 50!) even though we don't actively use them.  Looking forward to seeing how he and LO2 sign together - maybe a secret language for them???
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline x95stocchier

« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2011, 02:22:26 am »
It's only a secret if you don't know the signs too, so better brush up, lol  ;D
Sarah