Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #3  (Read 71540 times)

Offline Chicane

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #3
« Reply #255 on: May 12, 2011, 06:28:52 am »
Hey bmum - its fantastic when they first start. I found that once he got the first few signs he was picking them up super quick so we just started to do everything at once. Useful ones to add are drink/thirsty, eat, sleep, poo, nappy, book...you can also add musical instruments, animals, hear, different fruits (banana, apple, pear etc) Really, sky is the limit. DS has over 60 signs and has started to speak, he has also started to recognise letters and sound out simple words - I am not sure if this is early or standard but I think the signing has really helped develop his language skills and helped us avoid so many potential tantrums

Offline b_mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #256 on: May 13, 2011, 16:30:41 pm »
Thanks for the ideas! It is great once they start!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #257 on: May 29, 2011, 18:06:54 pm »
Hi ladies, once again I am behind the times.  ::)

I never did signs with T but then never felt I needed to since he was so easy to understand, even before he spoke.  I hadn't given it much thought with F but now I am thinking he could really benefit from signing since he gets frustrated easily.  Is it too late to start do you think?  He is 13mos.  Also, where can I find the basics?  That's all I really want anyway, you know 'more', 'finished', 'milk', that sort of thing. 

I won't be running to the store to buy any books or videos, or signing up for any workshops anytime soon.  But do want to know where/how to get started on my own.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Chicane

« Reply #258 on: May 30, 2011, 11:21:16 am »
Hey martina - no its not too late! In fact, I think its a good age to start, he'll pick it up really quick. Don't buy anything, you don't need to there is so much online. I use a mix of American, British and Australian depending on which sign is easier to do. Check out these links

http://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/bread
http://www.itvbabysign.com/video-sign-guide
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

there's lots on youtube too...

yay!

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #259 on: May 30, 2011, 11:26:48 am »
Hi - I'm just seeing this thread and have also been thinking about trying to sign with DS.  Martina, we are in the same boat.  S is 14 months old and I just decided that maybe this was a good idea.  He is very easily frustrated also.  He is babbling, but no words yet, so I think it could help us.

One question - did anyone feel like signing delayed their LO's speech at all? I had read that it could somewhere (because once they sign they don't feel the need to speak). I'm assuming that's not the case since so many people are doing and just wanted to see what you all thought.  Thanks!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Chicane

« Reply #260 on: May 30, 2011, 11:35:25 am »
Hey Nicole,

The things I have read are that signing actually aids language development. My sister swears that it was the signing that has helped her daughters become so articulate at such a young age (4 and 7) My DS is 20 months and words are coming on thick and fast, at least 2 or 3 new words a day at the moment. Sometimes he does the sign and the word together. I think because he already has a familiarity with the word (the connection to the sound I make and the sign we both make) allows him to practice saying it much quicker. From my own experience and what I witnessed with my nieces I have to say the signing has been so beneficial for so many reasons - the first one being the lack of frustration induced tantrums!

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #261 on: May 30, 2011, 12:22:18 pm »
Thanks Chicane!  Will check out those links today.  Can't wait to get started.  F has no words and doesn't even seem close to getting any.  T didn't have any until 18mos either so I'm not surprised!  But F gets very angry if I don't understand what he wants. so hopefully signs will help.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #262 on: May 30, 2011, 14:33:03 pm »
That was the age (just after 1) when K really started signing back and picking up signs quickly so I agree it is not too late and infact is just about right. It really helps esp when K is getting annoyed and crying - he can still sign at the same time but not talk.
There are loads of good links t/o this thread for signs and google is good if you are looking for one in particular.
K is talking loads for his age putting 4 words together often and has been doing three since before 18mo and I also think the signing has helped. He still uses the signs now he can say most things to some extent.

Offline ~inbalance~

« Reply #263 on: May 30, 2011, 17:16:08 pm »
What do you ladies find are the most useful signs to know?
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010

Offline Chicane

« Reply #264 on: May 30, 2011, 17:35:16 pm »
when I was starting out I found the most useful to begin with were more, drink, eat, change nappy (poo, wee) then as we moved on it was shoes, walk, sleep....I guess the signs to do with basic needs and functions is a good place to start. We are at the point now where isaac can make sentences with his signs...ie. papa cooking rice, or baby sleeping...its pretty cool

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #265 on: May 30, 2011, 22:20:46 pm »
I would go with whatever you find yourself saying most on a daily basis. Hungry and thirsty are good. K still cant say those now so signs are really helpful.

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #266 on: June 01, 2011, 11:32:28 am »
Thanks, Chicane! He has been getting REALLY frustrated lately because he can't communicate so I think the signs will really help.  And that would make sense that signing might aid language development.  I'm going to check out those links.

Thanks, ladies!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline jakobsmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #267 on: June 07, 2011, 20:02:21 pm »
Jakobs 17m and has a ?short soft palate and so is very nasal and lots of his words sound the same.  we have always done please/thankyou/ sorry which he does 8/10 times.  but he has never picked up 'eat' and doesnt consistently use 'drink' which we did from a very early age (and i think we have fizzled them out over the last 3 months tbh)

he can also do fish! essential!

i really need motivating to get back to it as im guessing his frustration is going to take off over the next 3 months, he grabs my hand and points and generally makes himself understood. im just being lazy really!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #268 on: June 07, 2011, 22:16:16 pm »
Sounds like J is desperate to sign so consider yourself kicked up the butt J's mommy!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #269 on: June 08, 2011, 06:37:12 am »
I agree if he is already using gestures so much he may do great with signing.