Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #3  (Read 71512 times)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #3
« Reply #270 on: June 08, 2011, 08:06:58 am »
even if he isn't signing some of them back he will be taking them in - I used to be amazed that Murray "wasn't interested" in some signs, like "dog" then months later would see a dog and sign "dog"!; it certainly doesn't do any harm! We ended up doing most signs that were of interest rather than necessity (eg light, animals, etc more than routine words/phrases like "get dressed")
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline jakobsmommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #271 on: June 08, 2011, 19:43:34 pm »
'ow'! thanks for that....back to the library for those signing books again then! i think im going to try some food and animals again.  what do you do for signing if they are poorly/hurt etc and when would you do it? would you practice with a toy or something so they were prepared for when they actually felt ill?

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2011, 09:37:06 am »
I did the sign for ouch (touching the two pointer fingers together) anytime DS fell over or hit his head or something and also if someone else hurt themselves. He's never used it but he did understand the meaning, now he just says the word ouch...don't know if that helps at all. Our words are coming on thick and fast but the signs are still being used daily...

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #273 on: June 10, 2011, 20:34:14 pm »
Hello ladies....I plan on signing with DS as we did it with my younger sister and even at 10 years old, I was amazed! When is the best time to start? 6 months?
Justine

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #274 on: June 10, 2011, 22:56:06 pm »
You can start any time!  It's more about YOU getting into the habit  ;)  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Chicane

« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2011, 11:47:01 am »
We started at around 9 months and it wasn't until around 11.5 - 12 months that he started to sign back, however, at around 10 months he was understanding the meanings of the signs...so as Rachel says, I think as soon as they can sit up and look at you you can start signing, it just takes more of a wait until they get control over their hands to start signing back, and yeah, its about getting into the habit, I found it didn't take long at all for it to become second nature...

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #276 on: June 11, 2011, 15:27:54 pm »
We started signing about 9mo and by 10mo k was using more and pot well so definitely starting sooner rather than later to get full benefit.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #277 on: June 11, 2011, 17:29:32 pm »
So we started today! I'm just doing "breastfeeding" right now. So fun!! Do any of you use "no" for when they do something they're not supposed to? I thought maybe using that for when he bites me after pulling him off?
Justine

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #278 on: June 11, 2011, 17:46:53 pm »
We started around 9 mths with Meg and she is the most AMAZING signer ever. She is 12 mths now and she knows a TON of signs  :). Her first were sleep, milk, and rabbit (her lovey), but she learns them very very fast. DS was a fab signer as well - we started at 12 mths with him and he learnt pretty fast from there.

Starting early is great but just don't get disillusioned if they don't catch on until nearer age 1 when their motor control is better. They will get it and it is a fabulous tool to communicate with.

Watch out for them signing stuff different to what you teach as well - it often won't be perfect but it doesn't matter as long as you both know what it is - and if you recognise it and praise etc it reinforces it far better than trying to teach the correct way iyswim??

I also agree that signs that they are interested in are easier to teach than ones that may be 'useful'. You need to capture their attention with it first.

I swear Megan thinks if she waves her arms about I know what she is saying. She definately knows that waving arms communicates things.

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #279 on: June 13, 2011, 03:14:38 am »
So...."sleep" and "breastfeed" are very similar motions. Do you find another sign that has a similar meaning if two motions are similar? I thought of using "eat" instead but won't that get confusing once he's actually eating solids?
Justine

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #280 on: June 13, 2011, 03:26:50 am »
I'm not sure what signs you are using but we use 2 different ones. Sleep is hand cupped on side of head and we use milk for feeding which is like milking a cow with a thumb and fore finger pulling down.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #281 on: June 13, 2011, 04:02:32 am »
Hi Ladies, I am interested in signing with my 8 month old and I have a question for you all :)
Can this work if you do this, but DH doesn't (I haven't yet mentioned to DH but I can see him maybe being to lazy to make the effort) or do you both have ot be on board as to not confuse your LO in that sometimes their signs are not responded too. Also, do other family members ie grandparents need to be in the loop if your LO are staying there, or will they know that signing is between you and them...does this make any sense!
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #282 on: June 13, 2011, 07:07:58 am »
I'm the only one who really signs to k even though my mum and dh have him when i work. I think as long as you tell them what the signs mean they can respond. They all think it is clever and want to understand even if they dont sign back to k. I would do it anyway for sure.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #283 on: June 13, 2011, 07:31:31 am »
I agree - you just need to make sure other people know what the LO is saying - they don't necessarily need to sign to them.

Remember you always SAY the word at the same time as the sign so that the LO develops language comprehension at the same time.

My DH has never signed to my 2, and they are both amazing signers. But he does recognise all the signs they actually do so he does respond to their needs. I just keep pointing them out to him - and he takes great pride in his clever little girl even though he doesn't take part in the teaching process iyswim?

Actually my Mum has always been the main teacher to both my LOs!

Offline Chicane

« Reply #284 on: June 13, 2011, 10:21:24 am »
For milk we do 'milking a cow' action, for breast feed I rub my boob! for sleep its hand to side of head and tilt head. I found that using a mix of Australian, British and American signs helped when choosing which signs would work best, some of the US ones I thought would be a bit difficult for little fingers so would choose another one and vice versa...we also made up a few of our own...