Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #3  (Read 71671 times)

Offline Chicane

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #3
« Reply #375 on: November 01, 2011, 19:14:12 pm »
OMG Lien - that is the cutest thing ever!

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #376 on: November 01, 2011, 19:28:14 pm »
Wonderful signing!!!  ;D

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #377 on: November 02, 2011, 03:02:32 am »
Gorgeous! I'll have to find a way to hide the video camera to get some footage of my LO as she stops whatever she's doing as soon as she sees it :)
*Nuala*

Offline lchuynh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Catch me if you can!
    • all new adventures
« Reply #378 on: November 03, 2011, 01:10:54 am »
I'm really keen to see your videos, ladies  :D. I'm waiting, patiently....

Nuala, I know what you mean about hiding the camera. My LO used to freeze whenever he saw or heard me turn it on, and he never used to demonstrate his signs if I asked him to. He only ever used them to communicate with me ::) - fair enough, but disapointing for anyone who wants to see it. He used to look at me, and I interpreted him saying "mummy, I'm not a performing seal you know!".
~Lien~
My personal blog about our adventures in the wilderness of parenthood - http://www.allnewadventures.com

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #379 on: November 21, 2011, 04:43:26 am »
I've been thinking about signing with DS for a while. He's 7 months now and trying so hard to communicate but all he can say is mum mum mum and nnnn-g. Not sure what nnnn-g means, but mum mum mum means I want my milk; you haven't started making my breakfast, lunch, dinner; its nap time; I fell over; I want a cuddle; come play with me; pretty much everything!

I'm thinking I should just start with a few so I can remember them and hopefully when he gets them, he can say the main things he needs - food, milk, drink, bath, sleep, more, finish, please, thankyou... I may be back for some support when he doesn't sign back at me tomorrow :P I'm not good at waiting

Offline lchuynh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Catch me if you can!
    • all new adventures
« Reply #380 on: November 21, 2011, 07:23:52 am »
... I may be back for some support when he doesn't sign back at me tomorrow :P I'm not good at waiting
He may ;D or may not sign back tomorrow, but be assured that he will, and life will be a whole lot easier than mum mum mum MUM MUM MUM followed by :'( :'( :'( for you both. Just keep at it - so worth the effort!
~Lien~
My personal blog about our adventures in the wilderness of parenthood - http://www.allnewadventures.com

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #381 on: November 21, 2011, 07:27:24 am »
Ladies, I really need to get onto trying to teach Z some signing as he gets very frustrated when he can't communicate his feelings and what he wants.

I am forgetful :( but really just want to get the key ones working for the both of us. Does anone have a good link to a baby sign language site which has charts I could print off to remind myself (and DH) to do them.

I was thinking of working on say 6-8 signs for now of the basics that cover hunger, thirst, tiredness, no/done, bath and bedtime.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Papaya

« Reply #382 on: November 21, 2011, 08:01:00 am »
 Go for it, both of you - we're finding it so so helpful with Felicity. Already she can do about 30 signs, and we feel like we're communicating so much with her and appreciating what she's interested in (at the moment, clearly hats and bags. She can spot someone with hat or bag a mile off, and signs enthusiastically  ;D )

Sara, we're using the book "Baby Sign Language for Hearing Babies" by Robyn Warburton - it's based on NZSL. The website also has a e-learning pack that you can download with charts to print. http://www.babysign.co.nz/  That's the only site I know of that's specifically NZ signs, but there are others that have BSL or ASL.

I also find the official NZSL site useful for words that aren't in the baby sign book - they have a good video dictionary of signs. if they're too tricky for little hands, I make up an easier variation. And we've completely made up some of our own signs too for more unusual things (eg mango :))

I found once we started I got into the habit of signing more quickly than I expected - and now F reminds me!
*Nuala*

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #383 on: November 21, 2011, 13:32:18 pm »
here are some helpful links

http://www.itvbabysign.com/video-sign-guide
http://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/bread
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

I used these all the time and just chose the sign that I thought was easiest to make

Remember it takes time, we started at 6 months and didn't get really solid signing until about 11 months more or less. Its seems like a long time to wait but its totally worth it and will really help with later language development

xo

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #384 on: November 23, 2011, 09:37:17 am »
How long before your LO's watched what you were doing with your hands?

Offline Papaya

« Reply #385 on: November 23, 2011, 11:24:25 am »
We started signing before six months, just with three or four basic signs, so she gradually came to understand those without ever seeming to look at my hands that much. But around 8 or 8 1/2 months she started watching my hands much more intently, and by nine months she'd completely taken off. She looks to me for a sign now, if she sees something new that interests her, and she's started making up her own. She signed "digger" today, first time she'd ever seen one but the sign was unmistakable!
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #386 on: November 23, 2011, 11:43:20 am »
Has someone already given the Auslan Sign Bank website? It;s got the australian signs of the deaf community. Nice site with great videos of all signs. http://www.auslan.org.au/

I've been signing finished, more and drink with my LO so far (almost 6 months) and will be adding more as he starts doing a bit more!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #387 on: November 23, 2011, 13:49:32 pm »
I did baby signing quite late with both of mine - about 12 mths with DS and about 9ish mths with DD (but I guess I always did a bit as I knew all the signs from DS).

Both of them are/ were amazing signers. Megan is just great - amazing really. And interestingly DS stopped signing at about age 2 when he had decent language but has started again now Megan is at it. If I say no he will try signing for it instead often  ::) ::).

I would actually suggest teaching a sign for something they are interested in as well as 'helpful' ones. I think it is easier to understand the same of something rather than an action/ describing word.

I can't quite remember first signs very well these days - but I think it was tree for Megan - and perhaps duck for Jacob. Dog and rabbit were early ones for Megan as well - we have a pet dog and her lovey is a rabbit. Then I guess drink and sleep were the earliest 'more useful' signs.

I just wonder if it helps them to 'get it' iyswim???

Offline Papaya

« Reply #388 on: November 23, 2011, 14:11:45 pm »
yeah, we started with a few fun signs - so bath, dog and duck alongside milk and all finished. Milk was her first sign, but bath and dog weren't far behind. All animal signs are extremely popular here, as are forms of transport.
*Nuala*

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #389 on: November 23, 2011, 20:13:34 pm »
Whatever you think they cry for/desire most is a good sign as it is likely to be the one they get most frustrated for if you can't understand and don't give them. As pp says, if they sign and they get something they really want they are more likely to realise signing=getting what I want so will use it more.

I have started signing for DS2 more and more. He is 7mo and not signing back yet and not even paying that much attention yet but we will keep at it. I tried to get a video of K signing to him but K got all shy and wouldn't do it. I will have to do it covertly I think.