Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #3  (Read 71664 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #3
« Reply #405 on: December 09, 2011, 21:44:28 pm »
Wow that is great Lucy.
I have been working on up with B too.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #406 on: December 11, 2011, 10:18:15 am »
Love the video!! Hey i'm going to be teaching some signs to a friend who is about to have a baby.. i've done heaps of signs with my clients (children who can't talk).. so know about sign selection for interaction... but what are some of the signs that you guys have found useful with babies? I was thinking more, finished, help, drink, eat, sleep, milk, mum, dad, time (as in time for food) and maybe some kids songs with animals and colours in them... Any other suggestions?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #407 on: December 11, 2011, 10:44:17 am »
More bath toilet and nappy are favourites here.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline lchuynh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Catch me if you can!
    • all new adventures
« Reply #408 on: December 12, 2011, 08:47:23 am »
Lucy, that's so great you got him signing so early. My LO didn't actually sign back until maybe 13-14 months but when he did man was it useful!

... but what are some of the signs that you guys have found useful with babies? I was thinking more, finished, help, drink, eat, sleep, milk, mum, dad, time (as in time for food) and maybe some kids songs with animals and colours in them... Any other suggestions?
Bath, milk, more, again, sleep, crackers, blueberries, raisins, juice, water were the most useful signs around here. I basically stuck to things I knew he would want to ask for. Sleep sign was invaluable - he would do it to let us know he was tired. All the food and drink signs were all his favourites that he would want all the time, but along with that there were words he just said instead of signed at 14 months like "apple", "nanana" for banana, "orange", "rice".

No more signs now; the last one (milk) was dropped a couple of weeks back. We have 5 word sentence structures from him so I guess he didn't feel the need to sign to us any longer :P - but still, it was great while it lasted.

~Lien~
My personal blog about our adventures in the wilderness of parenthood - http://www.allnewadventures.com

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #409 on: December 12, 2011, 11:58:48 am »
We have 5 word sentence structures from him so I guess he didn't feel the need to sign to us any longer  - but still, it was great while it lasted.
you will probba3
. We have 5 word sentence structures from him so I guess he didn't feel the need to sign to us any longer  - but still, it was great while it lasted.
you may find he reverts to signs if he isn't being understood or is too excted (like when M saw trains he spoke  and signed)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #410 on: December 12, 2011, 12:21:00 pm »
trains- a love so huge it can't be only spoken....
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #411 on: December 19, 2011, 15:13:13 pm »
Have any of your LOs started signing and then stop for a time? DS signed "more" for the first time about two days ago. He was real consistent with it. After every time I'd sign it when he was finished with food, he'd sign it. He signed it for about two days. But now he won't sign it anymore. When I put his hands together, he does it,  but I have to start putting his hands together. Now when I sign "more" he just waves his arms up and down.
Justine

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #412 on: December 19, 2011, 15:42:16 pm »
Now he knows what he is doing he will probably save it for those vital times! Oliver can sign food but only does it when I am eating something he really wants ;)  Murray used to not sign some words back but months later suddenly would, and other signs he would drop (esp when he learnt to say the word) but even now signs sometimes! It is still in there ....
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #413 on: December 24, 2011, 09:21:32 am »
Well, this week the penny has dropped and Oliver can suddenly sign to ask for food (we were upstairs and he looked at me, signed food and got grumpy, so I brought him downstairs and he ate!!  He can also sign mummy, daddy, finished and nappy (either while I am changing him, or the other day when he needed changed).  It's funny as you sometimes see he wants to sign something and goes through all the ones he knows til he gets the right one (I say the sign as he is doing it to confirm what he is signing).  ;D

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #414 on: December 24, 2011, 09:41:21 am »
Love it when that light bulb goes off!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #415 on: December 24, 2011, 13:26:49 pm »
It's funny as you sometimes see he wants to sign something and goes through all the ones he knows til he gets the right one (I say the sign as he is doing it to confirm what he is signing).
love that stage so cute.

congratulations guys, such a great achievement  for all. Yay!

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #416 on: December 28, 2011, 20:15:23 pm »
Isaac is definitely signing "more" again. Sometimes I even feel like he's doing it in the middle of something else besides eating...and I'm trying to tune in to see what he's trying to communicate.
Justine

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #417 on: December 28, 2011, 20:30:34 pm »
That is great he is signing. I found at the beginning they sometimes did the sign for other things because they first learn it gets a response I think.

We are still siging to B. He isn't doing it back yet. I still often forget so I need to be more consistent.

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #418 on: December 29, 2011, 19:53:30 pm »
That is great he is signing. I found at the beginning they sometimes did the sign for other things because they first learn it gets a response I think.

We are still siging to B. He isn't doing it back yet. I still often forget so I need to be more consistent.
I find it's when they start signing back that I really get going with the signing ::)

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #419 on: December 29, 2011, 20:02:49 pm »
Yes that is true.I was much better with K once we were actually having 2 way conversations.