Author Topic: Baby Sign Language Thread #3  (Read 71333 times)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Baby Sign Language Thread #3
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2010, 11:42:02 am »
It is exciting isn't it. I can't wait for DS to start signing back.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2010, 20:18:34 pm »
It is fantastic! DS said his first word and first sign together - hear. He speech is excellent and he started with sentences etc really early (was rejected from a language study group because he was too advanced / they didn't believe me  :-[ :(). I don't know if that is down to signing alone.

I am sure that his ability to communicate at a young age (through sign mainly, then speech) has really helped him. From his first signs, he was so happy that he could communicate back to me. Like little conversations that he could start - he'd hear a bird and would sign to me as if to say "there's a bird singing; do you hear it?".

Invaluable tool. I'm thinking of training up in it once he starts nursery.

Offline muddyfeet

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • New Apron
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2010, 22:59:07 pm »
I've been trying and trying to figure out what LO means when she folds her arms across her body and rocks back and forth. Today, we realized she's saying "baby". It really is the official ASL sign for baby...but WE didn't teach it to her. She's 14 months, and she has been really interested in a picture album that shows her as a little baby with everyone holding her. She's looked at it every day for the last 2 weeks. The only thing I can think of is that she saw pictures of her as a little baby, decided that cradling should be the sign, and ran with it. Today she saw a baby in a restaurant and started signing and signing...I finally figured that out, and she was like, "REALLY! About time, mom, I've been telling you this forever!"

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2010, 09:52:03 am »
Ah that's so cute muddyfeet. Lots of signs are actually pretty instinctive. When I was studying BSL we used to tell stories to the rest of the class and had to just guess at the signs we didn't know. The instructor would correct us at the end but it was amazing how many we got right just by using our common sense.

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2010, 00:40:21 am »
Hey ladies..I haven't been on this thread in months. I started signing with my lo at 6 months...I lost momentum but stuck with "more". Everyday. I got really frustrated the other day, and I was giving her oranges. I was like, "Mama? MORE??" and I signed feverishly. She started clapping and I got so excited. I tried it again. She did it again. And she's done it a few times since then.

It took many many months. I'm back into signing like crazy. I'm really excited..I hope she signs a few more things..I get so excited hearing your stories and would love to share in the magic of signing.
*Sarah*

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2010, 10:55:57 am »
That's great Sarah. We are still signing various words on a regular basis but not getting anything back just yet. But Cadan does get very excited when I sign "bath" so I think he understands (or it could just be hearing the word of course). He loves his baths.

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2010, 21:11:32 pm »
Cadie's Mum; you're sounding a tiny bit discouraged so I'm here to whooop your arse!  ;)

I signed with DS everyday from 6months on. Everyday - basic signs and building gradually to animals etc. Other babes signed earlier than he did and I felt a bit miffed, but kept at it. He was a year old before he signed  :)

He said his first word and first sign together. And then he suddenly signed loads - dog mainly. It was things he wanted to share with me (like something he'd seen) rather than eat, drink, more etc. And when more sign did come, it was patting the back of his hand rather than his fist... but eat and drink and potty - nope. Even now, he won't tell me he's hungry!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2010, 21:17:29 pm »
Consider my arse whooped!  :) Thanks Charlotte.
I'm not discouraged really. Just impatient I guess.

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2010, 01:12:13 am »
I was so down about signing. I kept hearing and reading that most babies sign by 10-11 months.

Even though she's still signing "more", she's still not doing it without my prompting most times.

It'll come :)
*Sarah*

Offline BareFootMomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2010, 21:28:56 pm »
DD is doing so great at signing these days! Many times it is with prompting, especially with more and different foods she wants.....sometimes I think she is just signing whatever I say. One thing is starting to worry me a little though. She has stopped talking verbally.

She still babbles, but won't say daddy or mommy anymore and wont make the sounds for kitty and puppy anymore because she knows the signs for them. Well, she doesn't do the sign for mommy either :(  Whenever we ask her to say daddy or momma she signs daddy. Or when we ask her what a puppy or kitty says she signs those. The only "word" she says is uh-oh when she drops something.

I am worried that teaching her the signs is keeping her from wanting to learn to say the words. Did anyone's LO decide to stop talking when they figured out that signs meant something?
Brittany, Kaylee 7/22/09, ^Cadence^ 8/3/11 (stillborn with T21 at 34.5 weeks), Alexis & Courtney 8/28/12 - Read about our little family at http://therixmix.blogspot.com

Offline muddyfeet

• New Apron
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2010, 19:29:13 pm »
Not mine, but it does seem like there's a tie-in there with yours. How old is your LO?

Offline BareFootMomma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2010, 23:20:13 pm »
She is 15 months next week, and just doesn't seem to see the point of talking verbally. She will try to say things she doesn't know the sign for, but if she learns the sign she doesn't try to say it at all. Not quite sure what to think or do.
Brittany, Kaylee 7/22/09, ^Cadence^ 8/3/11 (stillborn with T21 at 34.5 weeks), Alexis & Courtney 8/28/12 - Read about our little family at http://therixmix.blogspot.com

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2010, 01:08:15 am »
Honestly I would just keeping signing AND saying the word.  She will get there.  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline muddyfeet

• New Apron
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2010, 01:50:16 am »
Reporting a priceless one from the LO today. She saw boiling water on the stove, and combined the signs for hot and water...she signed the water sign and blew on it as if it were hot!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2010, 12:16:53 pm »
That's brilliant Muddy feet!