Author Topic: "Normal" Baby Weight calling Overseas Moms  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Yogamama3

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I am present in this moment
"Normal" Baby Weight calling Overseas Moms
« on: February 23, 2010, 15:23:57 pm »
Hello! I was just wondering how the height and weight scales work in other countries. My son is a very healthy 18 month old-height is 33" and weight is 21lbs. My ped said he is only in the 5th % for weight and to try and feeding him to help him along. She even have me samples of a pedia type smoothie. When I read the label it was full of all sort of synthetic ingrediants I am not comfortable with. He is a very good eater and my husband and I are not huge so I am not concerned. I am 5 5 and 110 lbs. so he probably takes after me. Anaway, just thought I would compare. Maybe since our country eats alot of foods high in saturated fat, the numbers on the scale are reflective of that.
Thank you and have a great day!!!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: "Normal" Baby Weight calling Overseas Moms
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 16:06:25 pm »
What country are you in?

My DS sounds like he is built a lot like yours.  I haven't had him weighed in a few months, he is due to go in two weeks, but he is about 33" tall and probably around 22lbs.  He is a good eater as well, eats a good variety and always enjoys his food.  My husband and I are not large either, I am only 5' and am usually around 110lbs (when I'm not pregnant!  :P), and DH is about 6' but is quite slim.  Neither of us have ever been big, and I think DS takes after that.  :)  It doesn't worry me that he is in the 5th percentile.

I do make my own smoothies though with fruit, greens, yogurt, a bit of juice, and I add omegas and vitamins for him.  Probably a lot better to do it that way than buy something full of synthetic stuff!  :P
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 16:24:00 pm »
Not sure what country you are in but the WHO does have growth charts that might be a bit more "universal" if that is what you are looking for?

If your son is on the 5th centile and that is where he has always been then why is your paed worried? If he is losing weight, that's one thing, but even a child on the first centile is healthy....SOMEONE has to be on the centiles or what is the point in having them?

There do seem to be a frightening amount of health professionals out there who seem to want every child to fall between the 40th & 60th centiles.....not sure why they see it that way but I wouldn't worry!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 16:48:24 pm »
SOMEONE has to be on the centiles or what is the point in having them?

That's what I was thinking.  I'm not sure how tall Spencer is (30" or so, I think...) and she is 24.5lbs. We didn't get any measurements done at her last immunizations, but I've checked her before on the WHO charts and she is at the bottom for height usually and 50th for weight. DH and I are both around 5'2" so not a big shocker there!
Heidi

Offline Yogamama3

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I am present in this moment
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 17:38:15 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply! I am in the US

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 19:38:51 pm »
Agree with PP's.  My DD is 28 months and has been BELOW the percentile for weight (but at 50% or higher for height) for over a year now.  At her 24 month visit, she just cracked the 20 lb mark. Unlike your Ped, mine has never been worried about her and has specifically told me not to waste my time and money with things like PediaSure.  Mine is a not a big eater, she eats a great variety of foods, just very little.  She, like yours, must take after Mom.  I am 5'6'' and about 125 lbs.  I think with your measurements, you must look fantastic :).  Let little one be, esp if he is a good eater. 

Offline ireneee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 19:18:32 pm »
Hi there,
I've just had to take my LO to her dietician appointment as she has food allergies and they want to keep an eye on her diet and also her weight and height. The advice they have given me is that you have to also look at how they have grown throughout their life so far - and at the parents size! So if they've always been a bit "underweight", they will probably stay that way. My LO is in the lower percentiles for weight and height but they are in proportion with one another. Also, she is a very happy child, moving lots etc so I was told not to worry too much - not that I was worrying much as she is a good eater and I can't see any way that I can get her to eat more!
My dietician did say to me I could do things like use olive oil in mashed potato to boost calories which I think is acceptable. It sounds better than the smoothie! I also do things like put mashed avocado in her pasta sauce to make it higher in calories.
I don't think you should worry too much! If you are, maybe you can get a second opinion?
Hope this helps!
:-)