Author Topic: Screaming During Diaper Change  (Read 2119 times)

Offline cbg

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Screaming During Diaper Change
« on: February 24, 2010, 23:25:16 pm »
Hi - my 11 mo occasionally SCREAMS through diaper changes, and other times just squirms like crazy to turn over.  Any idea why he has such an aversion?  I never had this with my dd.

Thanks!

Offline lukemom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 03:04:08 am »
My DS did the same thing from about 10months to 12months. Maybe it's just a boy thing!  They are a handful aren't they?!!!!  LOL! He was a nightmare to change and it took two of us most times.  He is now 14 months old and is much better. I guess kinda grew out of it, but I would always tell him it's time to change your diaper and I always give him something to play with that he normally wouldn't be allowed to play with, the remote, cell phone, keys.  That helped! Now he likes it when I sing.  :) Never could figure out why he was so resistant.  Hang in there!!!  Hope that helps.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 03:10:05 am »
We had this problem too, and I know a lot of moms experience it at that age.  It was really hard to keep DS still, but it did get a little better after a year.  Even now though DS doesn't like staying still to be changed.  :P  I think personality has a lot to do with it as well.  Singing and really animated facial gestures sometimes help keep him still, but not all the time!  Kinda depends on what mood he's in!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline okinawamama

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 03:40:35 am »
We too experience this (and still do, my son is 11mo), and it is a total nightmare. I had to get it on video, because the amount of screaming and flailing around is unbelievable!!! I am literally sweating by the time it's all said an done. I have resorted to laying my leg lightly over his tummy, I know its kind of extreme, but I can't stress to you how much he fights. It truly was making a disgusting mess during poopy diaper changes. Sometimes I can get him to watch the ceiling fan, but it's really hit or miss. I hope he grows out of it soon because I absolutely dread diaper changes (and clothing changes for that matter),
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline cbg

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Screaming During Diaper Change
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 04:11:53 am »
Thanks everyone - that really helps!  Will try more animation and some special toys.  Glad to hear I'm not alone!!!  I am amazed every day how different he is from my dd at the same age.  I knew she was an angel, but I didn't know how much of an angel until now!!!  I love ds to death, but boy, does he ever test me sometimes!!!

Offline jacsmummy

• Mummy to Jacca & Bonnie Xx
  • Showing Appreciation 32
  • Xx
Re: Screaming During Diaper Change
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 20:49:48 pm »
My ds too was a real handful for a while there....it used to drive me mad, and likewise I would end up in a total sweat after a battle. I tried the distraction thing which was a bit hit and miss, he seemed to respond quite well to a certain song I would always sing the same so he got to know it, and would listen and kinda know what was coming?  I do it for getting dressed too,,,,, ;D