Author Topic: Washing a 19month old's hair???  (Read 2002 times)

Offline J & J's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Washing a 19month old's hair???
« on: March 01, 2010, 21:01:38 pm »
Hi,

How on do I wash my DD's hair????

I've always had problems.  I used to hold her and wash it in the sink before I put her in the bath.  The water would never go in her eyes, I would make sure that he head wouldn't go back (in other words she was lying horizontal in my arm and I would wash  and rinse her hair with my other hand)  she always cried but was happy in the bath.  Now she doesn't want to go in the bath either!!  We've tried to wash her hair in the bath, one of us holding a flannel to her eyes and the other rinsing with a jug, but she hates it!!  She always has a bath with her big brother and watches him having his hair washed in the bath.

I'd be really interested to see what techniques you use   ;)

Thanks
Rachel x
Emigrated from the UK to Australia 1st July 2009!!

My blogspot - fatracslim.blogspot.com

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
Re: Washing a 19month old's hair???
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 21:10:14 pm »
Hi, Im not sure what to say really. DS loves his bath and he dunks his head under and rubs his shampoo in and when i pour a jug of water over his head - he laughs and dances! sorry im not much help! :p xxx
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 21:13:09 pm »
I am lucky, DD is generally fine having her hair washed, she only gets frustrated with it interferring with her drinking the bath water etc  ::) :P

If your DD gets upset with the water going in her face could you get hold of something like this?
http://www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/detailfash.php?type=FASH&code=B6286&proddesc=Shampoo+Guards&supercategory=BRN00042&branch=&wcategory=CAT00278&catdesc=&super=0030BRN00042~0010BRN00052~0080CAT00278&treecode=TRE00009

And also just giving her loads of distractions in the bath? Lots of toys and letting her pour water out of the jug, that is my DD's fave bathtime activity!

Good luck :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 21:24:45 pm »
My best advice is, give up on the shampoo. They don't need it. Seriously. Stan has never had his hair shampooed apart from a couple of weeks with Dentinox to get rid of cradle cap and it looks and smells great. I rinse it ever time he is in the bath. Try it for a couple of weeks and see. You do still need to rinse it (to get out the banana/paint/etc) but that's half the effort (and half the tears) of shampooing and rinsing.

Offline brenda2

• Showing Appreciation 227
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:37:18 am »
my lo went through this phase of hating her hair being washed.  she loved her bath and even didn't mind putting her face in the water but would SCREAM if i pulled out the shampoo.  she has shoulder length hair that tends to be oily so it needs shampoo or it looks terrible. 

so when she was like this we washed hair once a week, not more.  she would have her bath and keep her hair dry the rest of the time. 

we tried sitting in the bath and pouring a jug over her head being careful of course to not get it in her eyes.  this did not work. 

then we tried the shower - this was and still is most successful.  she holds a cloth over her eyes and backs up herself into the water and gets her hair wet and then rinses the shampoo out.  now she will also lie down and let me do her hair (after seeing me do it with the baby) but she prefers the shower to wash her hair.

i still only wash her hair max 2 times a week.

i think part of what she hated was the drying and detangling after the washing.  so i switched to a no tangles shampoo and conditioner and that helped too.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 07:35:46 am »
On many occassions I have soaped up a facecloth and just washed his head as if it was another part of his body. Then rinsed the cloth out and used it to wipe the soap out.