Author Topic: N/W Support for Spirited Babies, Thread #2  (Read 12069 times)

Offline sherry lynn

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 127
Re: N/W Support for Spirited Babies, Thread #2
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2009, 01:32:51 am »
You don't necessarily have to go straight to 2 hours. You can go just 15 min more if you feel more comfortable with that. You'll just ignore the signs for a little while. It's like their bodies get "used" to that amount of A time so they start showing sings, but they really need to be pushed, and then they will adjust to the new time.
DS#1: 30 Oct 2007
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2009, 12:14:19 pm »
I wouldn't jump too high too soon either - the 15 min increments was the max I could do over 3 days. And even then, I took it really slow! I'd take it gently as Sherry suggested (there hasn't been a pickle Sherry hasn't steered me through yet!!).

I used to add slowly to the first A time and then watch closely for how he coped for the rest of the day. But I was often too shy at increasing A time.

Tired signs can be bored signs too. And they might not know it themselves. I used to add to the A time by having a little quiet time at the end of the usual A time, before the WD. I'd steer clear of noisy toys etc to avoid him getting OS during the extra time. If that makes sense?

Another way might be to have a little walk around the house or in the garden before the WD to give a change of scene.

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2009, 12:16:14 pm »
Your too sweet Charlotte. It doesn't seem like I've helped you with much in a long long time. I hope all is well. 
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2009, 21:24:18 pm »
Yup, mostly well here. But you did walk me through the first year so I can vouch for your advice!!

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2009, 14:18:47 pm »
:)  Thanks
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline KylersMom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2009, 15:08:56 pm »
Things are going much better already.  We are doing 2 hours awake now and have only had a couple OT incidents, but he was still easy to settle.  He's waking now from an 1h30 min nap.  :)  The NW is still a problem, but I guess I can't expect it to disappear instantly!  He is still waking for a feed and takes a very long time to get back to sleep afterward....but it seems shorter now....last night was only 1h30 min awake (including feed)...not sure how best to settle him back to sleep.  We feed in the dark so not to wake him too much and when finished we rock in the chair while I pat his back for awhile until his eyes start to go.  It seems that once I lay him down in his crib, he's wide awake again.  Then, I don't think I'm supposed to pick him up unless he cries, right?  Should I just stay with him and pat his back?

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2009, 17:35:22 pm »
Well.... that's kind of a tough one. So I'll just tell you what I would do.

From now on I would just feed him and put him down. I would stop doing the rocking,  I think it's prolonging the NW and it may become a prop down the line. I would just feed him, burp him and put him back down. Then you could pat him if he's crying. At that age we also did the shhh. But I think he's nearing the age where that doesn't work so well anymore. And that does wind some spirited LO up as well. You could do pu/pd but that's just picking him up, reassuring him and putting him back down AS SOON as he stops crying. That just wound Lyle. We never did pu/pd. It tends to wind a lot of little ones up. Patting worked a lot better. It might take awhile though.
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline KylersMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2009, 17:43:02 pm »
The night before last, he slept right through until 5:50 am and I kept him up....mistake though....I don't think he was ready to get up and was a bit off and had short naps all day.  Last night, he slept until 3:45 am and I fed him.  He went right back to sleep, so I didn't need to do any patting or pu/pd. The problem with pu/pd is that he's generally not crying....cooing usually for 1/2 hr to 3/4 hr until he gets fussy.  I'll try patting next time he's wide awake.

Bad nap again this morning after 2 1/4 hrs awake.  I think I should push his awake time out another 1/4 hr.  He didn't appear tired to me, but again afraid he'd be OT, that I put him down.  I'm so unsure how to read him these days.  What do you think?  Thanks for your support. 

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2009, 19:55:39 pm »
Spirited Lo are always hard to read.

If he's just cooing, then leave him to it. Don't intervene at all unless he is crying :)  It will help him down the road. I know it's hard not to because when they are awake, we are awake, but he'll let you know if he needs you. :)

DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline KylersMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2009, 00:25:47 am »
Thanks for that.  I feel bad not going in - he might coo for 3/4 hr and I feel like I should be helping him, but I see what you mean.  I could get in to some a/p that way.  He needs to get himself back to sleep.  The last few nights have been good.  Some N/W, but it is getting shorter.  Cheers!

Offline sherry lynn

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2009, 16:17:34 pm »
YEY!
DS#2 19 Feb 2010

Offline anielasmommy

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • my gorgeous girl!
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2010, 21:33:31 pm »
hi guys my 5 m/o DD is spirted and has ALWAYS had the worst sleeping problems! shes such a light sleeper too...and nothing really AP's her! when she was first born she didnt nap at all!! since then its always 30-45 min naps until recently i can get one or two long naps a day...with me on the couch if im real still and cover her eyes...i know im not suppose to do it that way but ive had 5 months of an OT baby without one good day ever! shes not horrible at night but has been having terrible EW recently...
Kami