Author Topic: HELP: How to increase breastmilk after BF for 9 months  (Read 16047 times)

Offline tulalit

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my cutleriesss
HELP: How to increase breastmilk after BF for 9 months
« on: March 03, 2010, 13:35:01 pm »
I have been exclusively BFing my DS for 9 months now. Recently, I felt that my BM is not producing enough for him. I don't want to top up with formula as yet. I'd like to EBF for 12 months.

What, how, and tips to increase my BM supply?

The reason I felt that the BM was decreasing - we sort of skipped 1 or 2 session for 2 days during weekend. He was distracted during BF and only feed a little bit. He just wanted to play. On MOnday, I felt that my breasts were soft and seems not producing enough.

I've been giving him extra BF during the day such as before nap time (hoping it'll increase the supply).

What should I eat to increase the breast milk?

Offline tanya032009

• *Tanya*
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Mr. Blue Eyes
Re: HELP: How to increase breastmilk after BF for 9 months
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 13:42:27 pm »
Hey there...do you have any other reason, other than that "soft breast" feeling, to believe that you are not producing enough? Does he seem satisfied?

I am EBF my 8 mos old DS, and someday(s) it seems like he really isn't hungry, and I worry about my supply, but it seems like our bodies are in sync, and when he needs more, it's there...I think you are doing everything right! Suplly and demand...so the extra feeding should kick the message to produce more milk.

Hopefully you will hear from other moms who have older babies!

I worry too...especially when I see him chowing down the solids...I want to tell him, slow down, momma's milk is best! I guess feeding him milk first is the only thing we can do!

and BTW, YAY to you, for BFing this long!

Tanya
URL=http://www.alterna-tickers.com][/URL]

Offline tulalit

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • my cutleriesss
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 14:20:15 pm »
Thank you Tanya.
I do think that he seems happy and satisfied. However, I'm not sure he's happy because he's playing and occupying himself rather than bf.

My breasts are really soft. They felt different than before since we skipped about 1-2 sessions of bf during weekend. I'm stressing out. I keep telling my body to produce BM. I don't know if the BM is as much as before.

YAY to you for 8 motnhs BF :)

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 21:39:34 pm »
Try not to worry. Stress isn't too supply-friendly  :)

Okay. At this age my supply dropped and at the same time AF showed up with quite the entrance AND I think my body switched to producing pretty much on demand rather than the whole producing and storing BM (those big breasts we start out with are stocked for emergencies!).

So. What can you do if you feel your supply is low? First up, accept that the way your breasts work / produce milk does change to producing on demand which makes them seem emptier and softer. Especially when compared with before. Next, don't judge your supply by doing a yield test with a pump. All that will show you is how much milk the pump extracts; not how much your baby extracts. Okay?

And then, try some of the following. As your milk supply is established and given your LO's age, I'd suggest trying Oatmeal (flapjacks, porridge, put it in smoothies) and taking a supplement like Fenugreek or Mother's Milk Thistle (I think that's what it's called). If you're really concerned about supply, try the switch side feeding, skin on skin etc.

So, here's the supply increasing list  ;)

Things that you can do to increase your supply:

*First and foremost - your lo!  Nothing will stimulate your supply like your baby so key here is to nurse, nurse, and nurse some more

*Skin to skin contact - as much as you can - strip yourself off - strip lo off and climb into bed.  Play, cuddle, nurse etc.  Spend the whole day in bed if you can.  Failing that, make sure the house is nice and warm and strip your lo off and yourself and just play like that all day.  Bathing together etc...  This will increase teh level of oxytocin (one of the primary milk producing hormones) and therefore help a LOT

*switch nursing: when lo has finished with the first side, offer the second.  When done with the second, offer the first.  When finished with the first for a second time, offer the second again.  This will normally stimulate a further let down with each switch and tells your body to make more milk.

*Pumping directly after the feed preferably for at least 15 mins per side although anything is better than nothing.  You can also "switch pump" which is basically going back and forth between the breasts when the milk stops coming...

Things you can consume to help:

*Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, Mothers Milk Tea & Brewers Yeast are all things you can buy at your local health food store that can be really great for helping to boost supply.  With the fenugreek, it's arguably the most effective but unless you are smelling like savoury maple syrup (and I mean everything - your urine, your sweat, you!), you're not taking enough haha!

*Oatmeal/porridge.  This can be great for some - I personally notice a difference with this   When I've been low in the past, I've had it for breakfast and for lunch - you can also eat tons of flapjack or oatmeal cookies ~~~ porridge is great for me: porridge, milk, cinnamon, pinch of ground cloves, drop of vanilla essense and fresh berries - really helps my supply everyday. Also, oatmilk available from healthfood stores and some UK supermarkets - even do chocolate flavour

*make sure you're getting plenty of water - this really can be a major factor for many! In those early months (up to 6 months or so), I'd drink a large glass of water or milk during / or with each BF. All other drinks during the day I saw as drinks / hydration for me.

*make sure you're eating properly - well balanced diet, with enough calories, enough dairy fats and health fats (such as are found in seeds and nuts etc). Up until 9 months or so, I ate an awful lot. I viewed main meals as nutrition for me, and then additional meals and snacks as feeding the boy...so I'd have breakfast and then toast an hour or so later... lots of healthy, carby nutritious snacks all day. It helped me make sure I was taking on enough to feed us both.
[/quote]

Hope this helps. Let me know what you think and how you get on?

Charlotte

Offline tulalit

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • my cutleriesss
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:59:15 pm »
Thank you Charlotte. This really helps for sure!
My MIL is with us at the moment. It's been really good since she's always preparing food for me and making sure I eat well balanced diet.

I try not to stress about it and have been playing more with my LO today. It certainly felt better than few days ago.

Fenugreek is the seed - is this correct? I went to pharmacy and asked for Fenugreek supplement and said that this may help with breastmilk.The pharmacist recommend me to buy the seed from the health food store instead.

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 13:24:57 pm »
In the UK, Fenugreek tablets are available from healthfood stores. Mother's Milk Tea are often available from our supermarkets and chemists as herbal supplements (large ones).

With the Fenugreek tablets, they can be used in tea or just taken whole. I tried the tea - and never ever again. I just took the tablets.

Porridge (rolled oats) is a magic winner for me. Make some porridge or pop it in smoothie or feast on some flapjacks. Somehow, oats are magic for my supply and energy levels too  :)