Author Topic: Got D's blood test results today...  (Read 1839 times)

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Got D's blood test results today...
« on: March 04, 2010, 02:14:16 am »
... and the news wasn't great, but could be worse.

The blood tests showed allergies to milk, egg whites, peanuts, and mustard.  The threshold that they use to consider something an allergy is anything greater than 0.35.  D's results were 0.8 for milk, 1.6 for egg white, 2.4 for mustard, and a whopping 12.8 for peanut :o

So, the good news is that the allergist said it is likely that he will grow out of the milk, egg, and mustard allergies - not definite, and he made that clear, but probable given the relatively low IgE reaction.  The peanut is a whole different ball game - he said that the much stronger IgE reaction, combined with the strong positive skin test result we got weeks ago, makes it much less likely that he will grow out of it.  D's never had peanuts before (though I'd never been really careful if I had peanuts, kwim?) and the allergist made it clear that I should not introduce them at home for quite some time.

He wants to redo the blood tests at age 3.  If the milk, egg, and mustard IgE levels are similar or lower then he wants to do a food challenge at that point.  He said that he doesn't ever do food challenges below age 3 as younger children can't communicate that they're having a reaction.  So, really I just have to keep doing what we've been doing (and be more careful about peanuts), keep carrying the epi pen, and keep fingers and toes crossed for the next 19mo that he grows out of it.  The allergist did say that if I had any questions or concerns in the meantime just to call the office, which is nice. 

So that's it!  Almost a bit anti-climactic TBH - but I'd rather have boring news than bad news ;)

Thanks for all the support while we've been going through this :-* :-*
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline donna_issabella

• Showing Appreciation 941
Re: Got D's blood test results today...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 02:54:25 am »
HUGS Vikki. I hear you on the not bad but also not good news front! these allergies make life tough and you have to inspect and monitor and interrogate etc etc everyone and everything every single time you go out. It becomes second nature, but others sometimes make you think you are nuts (pardon the pun!) for doing it!

Here's hoping to outgrowing ALL of them, even if the nuts are less likely!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 04:00:51 am »
{{{hugs}}}  allergies are a pain...still waiting on our appt here, which is hopefully as anti-climatic as yours! Fingers crossed that he outgrows them all by his next blood tests!
Heidi

scarlettsmom

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 16:37:33 pm »
((HUGS)) Vikki.  Yowsa on the peanut score!  Very glad you now have some definite information and really hope he outgrows them.  Lots do and that's very promising for your LO.

Very true what pp said about being vigilant and it just becomes second nature.  People will totally think you're crazy, but it never bothered me at all.  Being your child's advocate will keep them safe - and everyone else has to just get used to it.   ;D

Sounds like you've got a great allergist, that helps a lot.

xoxo

scarlettsmom

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 16:39:11 pm »
ps - Heidi hoping for good anti-climatic results for you too... :-*

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 16:43:28 pm »
hugs Vikki! Glad it's boring news..hope he outgrows the peanut allergies!

*Sarah*

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 18:15:29 pm »
Thanks all :) :-*

Heidi - Spencer's appointment is at the end of the month, right? My fingers are crossed for you guys too, hopefully she has a good result!
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 23:12:39 pm »
We're going on the 25th...so 3 weeks to go! Def keep the fingers crossed, not only for the results, but I have discovered that this particular allergist leaves alot lacking in personal skills and can be quite hard on parents. Not sure what to expect!
Heidi