Author Topic: High chair aversion anyone?  (Read 1762 times)

Offline FrenchWife

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • Eutopia Childrens Boutique
High chair aversion anyone?
« on: March 05, 2010, 01:16:20 am »
DS flat out refuses to eat almost anything i put on his highchair tray! it doesn't matter if he normally likes it or not. if i take him out and go into the living room and offer the finger food there he will normally try a few bites, but he won't touch it in his chair. its so frustrating, i can hardly ever get anything down him without a fight, and i normally have to let him play with a toy just to be able to spoon some veggie or yogurt down him. I am sure it is a bad habit, but otherwise i believe the child would starve. he hasn't barely gained weight in months, and all he has wanted lately is milk. from me if he can get it if not he will settle for cows milk or both. I spend about an hour every meal time desperately trying to find  something that he will eat, or figure out howto get even slightly balanced nutrition in him. errr!  >:( sorry, this is a bit of a rant, I am just so frustrated! DH and MIL are trying to tell me not to worry about it and that he will eat when he is hungry, but he has to at least eat something! can a one year old even survive on just cows milk and BFing? and I can forget about getting any sleep if he doesn't eat at least a few decent meals during the day. so any tips on getting past the highchair aversion would be greatly appreciated! or does anyone have any toddler power food ideas? I was trying to find a recipe for protein bars or some sort, maybe something with lots of eggs or pj or something, but couldn't find one... well thanks for listening!
-Christine

Mom to Isaac & Natalie Kate
Wife to Jonathan

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
Re: High chair aversion anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 17:08:39 pm »
Christine, I had a similar issue with my LO a few months back. He wouldn't touch food in his high chair, but he would eat while walking about.  I also followed him around with food to get him to eat.  The thing with him though was that I think it was just control and he wanted to do what he wanted to do.  Dinner time was the worst for us and I actually had to spoon food into his mouth as he walked about our house.  Fortunately, he actually sits in the high chair now.

I don't know what to suggest, since I did the same as you.  I just kept trying to get him in the high chair and eventually just let him eat while moving around.  I even got desperate and would turn on Sesame Street for him, which actually worked. :-[ I think that is how I got him to eat in his chair and then I eventually weaned the TV.

As far as protein bars go, I do have a recipe for toddler protein bars, but I can't find it.  Once I find it, I will type it out.  I would just say get him to eat what he will eat and make sure it is all nutritious.  My LO's snacks basically turned into meals that he hadn't finished.  That way I knew he was getting wholesome food in him.
Kara

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 16:31:21 pm »
We moved my DD to a booster chair at the table around 14 months as she had gotten so anything we offered her in the high chair, she just tossed on the floor.  She did better in the booster I think as she felt more a part of the family meal. 

Offline mini me

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • British Mummy living in Greece now back in UK!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 18:47:47 pm »
Just a thought ... do you spend other times in the highchair at all? I mean like colouring/scribbling , story books, being in the highchair beside you in the kitchen while you cook? It may take the emphasis off a food issue being related to the chair iyswim? DD still spends creative times in her chair (plastercine, colouring, painting etc) asit's easier to control the mess, she doesn't lose attention after 2 seconds and actually gets absorbed in an activity that's fun and not stress related. We started this at around 11.5mths and it worked great for us. I could also slip bits of finger food on her tray while she was playing and she'd nibble away ;)
Andi

Offline J & J's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 21:18:31 pm »
That's a really good idea Andi.  I think I'll try that one!

Rachel x
Emigrated from the UK to Australia 1st July 2009!!

My blogspot - fatracslim.blogspot.com

Offline FrenchWife

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • Eutopia Childrens Boutique
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 03:30:08 am »
those, are great ideas, i will give them a shot, thanks so much!  does anyone know if there is a thread about healthy/power food ideas for young toddlers? i seem to be really bad at being creative about these things. thanks again!
-Christine

Mom to Isaac & Natalie Kate
Wife to Jonathan