Author Topic: Dairy and colds???  (Read 5559 times)

scarlettsmom

Re: Dairy and colds???
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 17:15:07 pm »
If you have a milk allergy/intolerance, lactose free won't help.  Lactose is the milk sugar, milk allergy/intolerance is issues with the actual milk protein, and that's still present in lactose free items.  Very interested to see what happens after you take dairy out....it may take longer than a week though - although you should see SOME result in a week if there is indeed an allergy/intolerance.  Good luck!

Interesting about the cold milk firsttimemummy - are you ok with room temp/warm? 

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 08:31:36 am »
I am fine if the milk is heated up, etc I think because it changes the milk bacteria etc
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 11:47:24 am »
Apparently if milk is cooked long enough it breaks down the casein (milk protein) a little bit? My friend's DD can have *some* milk and eggs in things now but only if they've been cooked for a certain amount of time.

I've found that we can have dairy with few ill effects, as the culturing that the bacteria do on the milk also partially digest the lactose and casein, plus those bacteria are so so good for digestion. :) But plain milk, ice cream, some cheeses - forget it! It's a shame b/c we really really like pizza and once in a while we'll go out to CiCi's pizza buffet and pig out, but that's like once a month at most, b/c we pay for it afterward. :-\