Author Topic: refusing milk at 1 year old  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Raemeyer

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:46:21 am »
Hi All,
I have a recently turned 1 year old who made the switch from formular to cows milk and after 2 weeks is now refusing all bottles and will not accept milk in any form, even on his cereal. I have tried different brands of milk and have tried giving it to him in his cup and bottle. I have resorted to giving him 125grams of yogurt (milk/cream chesse based with fruit nestle brand)  after each meal and snack times to try to insure he gets some type of dairy in his diet. I am thinking of going back to the formular and trying him with his bottle again. He has just had his two upper front teeth come down and has had his two lower teeth for a few months now,  Any suggestions???

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 326
Re: refusing milk at 1 year old
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 19:46:23 pm »
Bumping this up for you.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 20:23:05 pm »
Would he take formula in a sippy cup or an open cup at all? If he would you could give him that for a while and then try slowly mixing cows milk in to the formula and reducing the amount of formula bit by bit. It could have been the new teeth comimg through that put him off the milk. Have you tried a straw cup at all - they can be fun to drink from!

Laura

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 18:02:33 pm »
Hi there, I was just at the paed and asked how much formula at 12 mths, the doc there told me that in reality he doesn't need formula or milk, but ~600 mls/20 oz of dairy.  She said milk is actually filling so to try to give it in other sources like cheese, yogurt etc.  And then a couple of cups of cow's milk would be enough.

Have you spoken to your doc?  Have you tried chocolate milk for now?  Our paed said they use that as a last ditch effort when LO won't take regular milk.
The tweaking never stops!

MummyToBen

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 11:14:04 am »
I made a new discovery today.....might be worth a try for you?! Adding a tiny tiny bit of vanilla bean paste to milk makes it taste gorgeous!  I warmed the milk and added/stirred in the paste and Ben gulped down a massive cup without coming up for air.  Benefit is that there is only a minute amount of sugar so if it helps then you don't need to worry about giving it frequently. 

xx