Author Topic: Dinner problems with 19 month old  (Read 911 times)

Offline J & J's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Dinner problems with 19 month old
« on: March 07, 2010, 21:16:09 pm »
Hi,

Our DD is 19 months old and was a very good eater.  She's now turning into a very fussy eater!!

She eats her dinner with her brother at a kids table and she's up and down constantly!  I don't expect her to sit still, but she just doesn't want to sit.  I've noticed that she would rather graze and walk around with food. (Not ideal I know, but I figure that there's time to sort her table manners out!  I'm just concerned of the lack of food she's eating!) DH and I have our dinner after the kids (if not with them)  and before bathtime and she constantly comes up to us and pinches food off our plate.

Should I continue giving her a plate of food, or load my plate with more so she can eat it?

Thanks
Rachel
Emigrated from the UK to Australia 1st July 2009!!

My blogspot - fatracslim.blogspot.com

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
Re: Dinner problems with 19 month old
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 19:52:13 pm »
Honestly, it's really common for their appetites to drop around this age as their growth slows down a bit, so they appear "picky" as they just don't need as many calories and aren't as hungry and can hold out for the foods they most prefer.  

Personally, I'd consider what you want dinner to look like long-term (balanced with what you consider age-appropriate) and establish that as the expectations and then not sweat it if she doesn't eat much.  I have a 21 month old and a 4 year old and they both eat big breakfasts, medium lunches, and very little dinner--from reading posts around here, this seems quite common.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 21:48:29 pm by Peek-a-boo »

Offline J & J's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Dinner problems with 19 month old
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 20:49:33 pm »
Thanks, that's put my mind at rest.  She does eat more in the morning.
Emigrated from the UK to Australia 1st July 2009!!

My blogspot - fatracslim.blogspot.com