Author Topic: Dips  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« on: March 08, 2010, 17:26:32 pm »
The nutritionist told me a good way to get them eating veg etc. is to introduce dips.  I want to try something other than the good ol' ketchup.  Just wonder what you have tried with your toddler.  Like a ranch dressing?  Or proper dips like hummus, etc.?  Salsa - a mild one?
The tweaking never stops!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Dips
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 17:46:26 pm »
We can't do ranch with Spencer because of eggs, she loves ketchup, but if I give her any kind of baby food - bananas & prunes is her fav - she will use it as dip! Kind of gross to see her dip chicken in it, but whatever works. Masyn does love ranch though, and eggs aren't a problem for her. If the salsa isn't too chunky it works okay too, Spencer likes the spicy stuff!
Heidi

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 17:47:28 pm »
We love homemade dips:

Hummus-chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon, cumin and paprika whizzed in food processor.  (Also buy organic store bought hummus or buy from the Lebanese at the market)

'Quasi' Tzitziki-Plain organic yogurt, dill, cucumber pieces, lemon and mint mixed with spoon

Spreads also make good dips-tuna, egg, salmon or leftover chicken/turkey pieces, plain organic yogurt or little mayo, raw spinach, raw carrots and paprika whizzed in food processor

Dip crudités such as -carrot matchsticks, cucumber swords, sliced cherry tomatoes, zucchini/courgette (he doesn't like broccoli sadly or also good) olives, breadsticks, bread chunks, tortillas baked in oven or mic and sliced into triangles, organic corn tortilla chips, ham/gammon chunks, pickles.

A x

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 17:49:59 pm »
We use zaziki and it's definitely the favoured one here.  I prefer him to have Quark as it's got more fat, though. Others that we have tried with varying amounts of success are yogurt (plain or fruited depending on the dipper) brown sauce (HP sauce), hummus, mustard, tomato soup, applesauce, creme fraiche, pesto and the sauce from a tin of Heinz baked beans!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Dips
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 18:17:27 pm »
Colin used to love dipping everything in mustard - not regular but dijon or honey mustard, something like that.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline aisling

• Yoda
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 494
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 18:21:36 pm »
I almost forgot, still a big fave here:  Guacamole.

When he was younger I added pureed prunes or apricots (I stewed organic dates, prunes or apricots (high in iron) in boiling water and simmer then mash up like a jam) to soft, ripe avocado, makes a good dip or side dish.

Now that he is older we add, lime, coriander/cilantro, garlick and some tomatoes to the avocado.