Author Topic: What did your toddler eat today? Part 5  (Read 62028 times)

Offline koe2moe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
Re: What did your toddler eat today? Part 5
« Reply #180 on: May 06, 2010, 15:52:03 pm »
Karen, DS also doesn't like omelette, scrambled egg nor pancakes.  I think it's the texture he doesn't like.  Apple banana muffin definitely sounds yummy.  Have you tried cream cheese on bread? 

Steph thanks.  I guess if DS will eat salami, if there's salt in our food, it's NOT big a deal anymore. 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #181 on: May 06, 2010, 17:18:29 pm »
Haven't tried that yet (with cream cheese on bread) maybe will do tonight. I only use whole wheat bread (I'm a stickler for that) - should I toast it?

This is the muffin recipe I plan to try (will use whole wheat flour). Will let you know how they come out - will offer one to DS at breakfast tomorrow! http://www.grist.org/article/recipes1#muffins

I might also try these chicken/apple "sausages" I bought yesterday. All natural and relatively low sodium - so we'll see...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2010, 18:12:09 pm »
Karen, you can perhaps try both?  half toasted half not and see what he likes?  I have never got DS to eat toast at all but apparently he ate at daycare!!  That's ok.  I would love to be able to bake some goodies.  one of these days, I'll do it.  I only do bread machine baking now :(

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2010, 21:28:44 pm »
As for salt I would still be careful a sit can still be damaging to the kidneys at that age. Think the limit is still 2g until 2yrs. Have you tried seasoning with herbs and spices instead or mixing flavours together? Meatballs made with meat and finely chopped veggies (mushroom, pepper,tomatoes etc) are good for self feeding.

Today DS ate:
B: Omlette and toast
L: veg casserole with roast chicken
S: Raisins
D: Mince, chopped veggies and rice (though left most as wanted to self feed), grapes. 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2010, 02:09:15 am »
Made the muffins tonight - and they're not half bad. Definitely should have used half whole wheat flour/half regular though - I used all whole wheat and they are a bit heavy. But still tasty. Hopefully DS eats them - he seemed to like the few bites of "regular" blueberry muffin at the coffeehouse this morning! How best to store them? Keep a few room temp to eat over the next few days and freeze the rest?

Recipe I used is here: http://www.grist.org/article/recipes1#muffins

Meatballs are definitely great for self feeding and easy to hide veggies in too if needed! I think I'm going to try making the veggie fritters from Annabel Karmel's book tomorrow.

Today was:

B: ok portion baby muesli, fed self bunch blueberries, dry cheerios
S: organic arrowroot cookies, water
L: about 2/3 apple yogurt, most of a broccoli pancake, few bits roasted red pepper
S: few more cookies, water
D: barley with zucchini, one chicken/apple "sausage"; refused cheese (I seem to have the only toddler who refuses cheese unless pizza LOL), some Just Apricots
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2010, 19:52:02 pm »
Today:
B: Multigrain porridge with banana and apple puree, cherrios to top up as still hungry
S: Baby corn on cob.
L: Cauliflower cheese, raw carrot, pitta bread, on the vine tomatoes
S: Raisins and a yoghurt
D: Spag. Bol. with corn and peppers, grapes.

And loads of BM! Think he is teething.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2010, 20:16:40 pm »
He refused the muffin at breakfast time (though DD, DH and I liked them) but did have a few bites for morning snack.

So today has been:

B: cheerios in milk, Just Apricots, few bites shredded wheat
S: few bites homemade apple/banana muffin
L: refused veggie fritters, ate turkey patty (homemade with turkey, applesauce, whole wheat bread crumbs, onion and zucchini), about 12 blueberries and 5-6 grapes
S: couple arrowroot cookies
D: planning on whole wheat fusili pasta in a homemade carrots/cheese/tomato sauce, one homemade meatball

Going to try this recipe over the weekend: http://simpledailyrecipes.com/healthy-blueberry-muffin-recipe/

And still trying to think of other foods DS will take to...

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2010, 20:21:34 pm »
Would love to see your turkey patty recipe Karen.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2010, 20:36:04 pm »
Super easy. I buy ground turkey (not just the breast meat) and throw it (raw) into the food processor with some sweet onion, thyme, whole wheat bread crumbs, unsweetened applesauce and zucchini (not peeled). After it's well combined I form it into patties and cook them on the stovetop in some olive oil on medium heat until golden brown on each side. I freeze them and then to reheat spray them with a bit of olive oil and bake them at 350 on a piece of foil until warm. Then I break them into pieces for DS to self feed.

I don't do exact amounts but it's generally a pound or so of turkey, about half a medium onion, a few shakes of dried thyme, maybe 1/4-1/3 cup bread crumbs and maybe 1/4 cup applesauce? And maybe half a large zucchini? You can also used ground pork if you prefer and change up the spices and veggies as wanted.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2010, 20:41:17 pm »
Great thanks. I am totally a guess how much girl so like a nice flexible recipe. Also my scales are broken at the moment so the less measuring the better. I must say though I find it hard to find ground turkey here. Will definitely have a good look around though. that is something I know DS will love.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #190 on: May 07, 2010, 21:03:47 pm »
Where do you live? I definitely think it would work well with ground pork instead. Maybe pork, applesauce and sweet potatoes?

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #191 on: May 07, 2010, 21:10:50 pm »
We are in Uk - London. Also we don't eat pork. Maybe if I investigated butchers as opposed to the supermarkets.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #192 on: May 07, 2010, 21:19:52 pm »
Butchers are definitely the way to go (and we don't eat pork either) if no ground turkey in the supermarket. Ground chicken might work too, as long as it's not only chicken breast (too dry).

Offline mumofalice

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2010, 05:54:02 am »
Khalam's Mama - I'm in the UK and I can get 'ground' turkey in at least a couple of supermarkets without any problems. Ground is the same as minced - I've bought it in both ASDA and Morrisons on a regular basis - pretty sure it's in the turkey section of the meat isles. Am sure they'll sell it at Tesco and Sainsburys too but I don't tend to shop in those as often. HTH.

Thursday:
B: 2 home-made banana & pear pancakes with yoghurt and honey, blueberries, fruit smoothie (left some pancake)

At CM:
S: raisins and milk
L: chicken sandwich, crisps, yoghurt, juice
S: animal biscuits, water

At home:
D: chickpeas in tomato sauce with rice topped with grated cheese, yoghurt, blueberries, hot choc with 2 mini malted milk biscuits, 2 chocolate animals

Friday:
B: rice crispies and milk, blueberries, fruit smoothie

At Grandma's
S: organix cereal bar, OJ
L: (at Great Gran's) home-made meatball with bit of rice - refused veggies  ::), yoghurt, piece of liquorice, water

At home:
S: dried apricots, small jelly
D: bite of venison burger, bite of sweet potato 'chip', one chickpea - asked for a pear (ate all)

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2010, 11:03:47 am »
Thanks Alice's Mum, we often shop in sainsbury's but I maybe didn't look hard enough (or in the turkey section - didn't know there was one). I can look in asda or morrisons too.