Author Topic: help with shh/pat on 4 week old  (Read 987 times)

Offline bakershaker

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Mom of 3- Baker 12/07, Myla 03/10, Sawyer 03/14
help with shh/pat on 4 week old
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:13:02 am »
Sorry this may be a bit long or confusing~
Lets start with my son. When he was born we did the accidental parenting and fed/ rocked him to sleep. It wasn't untill he was 2 month old when we found Baby Whisperer and did it on him. We did the shh/pat and it took 2 nights to get him to sleep independently..it was amazing ( he is a angel/textbook baby). He transitioned so well from the rocking feeding to independent sleep. And since that day we have never had a sleep issue and even through teething we never had night wakings or issues with him wanting us to get him to sleep..he loves to be independent.
Now my daughter. She is 4 weeks old now. I wanted to start independent sleep much sooner with her, so we have been doing the techniques now. Sometimes she will sleep with no help..and sometimes she fights sleep and wants us to feed/rock her.
In you opinion should I just keep "accidental parenting" untill she is closer to 2 months like my son was, and then implement the shhh/pat. Or do you think she is capable of learning independent sleep right now with shh/pat? She is a textbook baby. She is on a 3 hour easy. Thanks in advance and looking forward to a quick reply:)
Mommy to 3 beautiful little ones

Offline Chicane

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
Re: help with shh/pat on 4 week old
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:01:31 am »
Hi Bakershaker - thats a hard question! I have been thinking about it too. My DS is 6 months - we started EASY at 4 months to wean off feed to sleep but it was too hard so started again a month later and was much easier. i have been thinking that when I have my next one I will try to start EASY from the beginning and have been wondering the same things you are. I don't know the answers so hopefully someone who has been there already will post but my gut feeling is to be a bit more flexible at this young age, she is still learning to be outside of the womb so I imagine it will take a bit of time. The times she settles easily is there anything in the routine that makes it that way and vice versa? Maybe keep a log for a week or so and see if there is a pattern to the easier settling times...? I reckon that if she is getting it some of the time then she is probably learning how to do it and she just needs a bit of encouragement time to time. Also...perhaps she needs to be on a shorter EASY??? I dont know! But will be keeping track of this thread to see what others say and sending you massive vibes!