Author Topic: I'm tired of doing so much laundry!  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Julie C

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Maybe an Angel and Textbook Turkey
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:44:55 am »
Our DD2 is 10.5 months old. Up until she turned 6 months old, she was a frequent vomitter and an even more frequent up-the-back-pooper (iykwim!). The introduction to solids and the transition from breast to bottle went smoothly, and she eventually stopped making such big messes everywhere.

At 8 months she was hopsitalized with RSV. She had about 4 days of not being able to keep anything down. After she got better, she continued to -- sometimes-- throw up her entire morning bottle. Then it became every day. This went on for about a month.

Now she is throwing up randomly. Sometimes it's even in the middle of the night, and sometimes it's 2x a day.

She is an excellent sleeper, and doesn't really seemed bothered by her tummy. She poops 1x a day, and it's usually solid (she eats a lot of finger food).

She DOES have a couple other quirks... she can't sit up from laying. She's only begun to try to crawl or pull up to a stand, and she is only 70cm long. SHe is being tested for anemia because the doc thinks she is pale (but so is DD1 -- who has no issues).

Just wondering if there are any other vomitters out there her age?...

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 326
Re: I'm tired of doing so much laundry!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 03:22:19 am »
bumping this up for you

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:00:17 pm »
Has she been diagnosed with reflux or any food allergies? My LO was thought to have reflux until they finally believed me that by "vomiting" I did not mean "spitting up" but full on vomits of 4-5-6ounces after every feed, and he was diagnosed with milk/soy protein intolerance.  But I do also know that many of the reflux moms say that after bouts of tummy bugs and things, their LOs reflux does get worse...so may be worth looking into that as well, if she is still being sick?  Have you spoken to her doctor yet about the vomiting?

She DOES have a couple other quirks... she can't sit up from laying. She's only begun to try to crawl or pull up to a stand, and she is only 70cm long. SHe is being tested for anemia because the doc thinks she is pale (but so is DD1 -- who has no issues).

My DS is 20 months and still can not sit up from laying!  It takes a lot of core strength for this one.  I don't think that not crawling at this age is a problem, many don't do it until later on. There is a stick on the G&D forum on ways to encourage crawling that might help? My LO crawled at 9 months and was still only starting to pull up to a stand at 10.5 months, not really doing it on his own until 11 months - so if she is not crawling yet then I would give her some time with the pulling up.  The UK growth charts have a 10.5 month girl who is 70cm as being on the 9th percentile, so certainly not strange, unless she started out much higher on the percentiles - I know they worry for weight dropping off of the birth centiles but not sure about height. 

Offline Julie C

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 03:02:49 am »
She started out at 21 cm... in the 90th percentile. She seems to have stopped growing... even teeth have stopped coming in!

We are currently doing a food journal, and have put her back on the diet that she was eating when she was 6-8 months old (since she was ok back then). She still threw up last night.

THe doc knows about the vomiting... he seemed concerned, but not overly. He hasn't known our LO for long since he was a referral from our family doc. Our family doc seemed completely at a loss what to tell us.

scarlettsmom

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 15:36:46 pm »
Just wanted to offer big big (((hugs))). 

I'm glad to hear that at least it does not seem to be bothering her very much.  That is frightening if it appears she seems to have stopped growing though.   :(  Good idea about the food journal and going back to a baseline diet to see how she does on her safe foods.  Give it a week or so before looking for some positive results (hopefully sooner though!), as if there are food issues it may take a while to get out of her system.  Especially if it's milk...that can take several weeks.

Hang in there and let us know how it goes.

Offline Julie C

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 02:52:37 am »
Just got discharged from the hospital. DD came down with a flu bug that led to a chest infection (seems to be the way it always goes at our house). Her fever wouldn't come down even after 2 doses (piggybacked) of Motrin/Tylenol... they had to use Children's Advil. Then it went away and never came back.

Two days of predinsone for her lungs, and she's left with nothing more than a runny nose. The only thing is, now she is even MORE lethargic and pale than she was before. Her CBC showed elevated platlets and low lymph, but the doctor suggested it could be simply because she is fighting a viral infection.

She's on lactose free formula (on the doctor's advice), and hasn't thrown up in 3 days (fingers crossed). The thing is, I thought lactose allergies were rare in babies.

Anyone know anything about it?

Offline pamelamcgahon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:38:27 am »
Not a vomitter of her age, younger here but a few things.

Apparently children can become lactose intolerant after bouts of tummy bugs etc and it is brief.  There babies with lactose intolerance, apparently all babies are born lactose intolerant or something and they grow out of it.  What formula is it?  Is it just lactose free (soya) or is it hydrolysed - if the last it may not be the lactose but the milk protein which is more common.

As for height and weight percentiles, no one seems to measure the height ones here in the uk unless you go for a hospital appointment and i guess the idea is that the height and weight should be similar lines.

My LO was born on the 0.4th centile and once we got her on hydrolysed milk she shot up to the 25th but has recently had a tummy bug and various other bugs and has fallen down to the 9th and the drs and HVs aren't bothered unless they go below their birth line - which would be loads of weight loss for us and i liked the fact we had got her up to the 25th and am less keen on her on the 9th.  She was diagnosed with both reflux and Milk/Soy protein allergy. 

As for the reflux, did you ever thicken her milk?  Gaviscon/baby rice etc has helped us.  It never really stopped but we did manage to start putting her down to play on her back around 3-4 months with the thicker milk.  Now she is weaned we can't really get her to drink alot of milk so the sick has stopped.  My LO throws up her food if it is too runny so her weaning started on quite thick purees and when we gave her a jar of puree she vomited for 2 hours as it was so runny!

As for the diet, if it is MSPI you'll have to keep all dairy and soya out of the diet but if it is lactose then she may tolerate other things better.  O am lactose intolerant and can't drink milk/cream without really bad pain and dihorea but can have small amounts of cheese/chocolate but do know if I have had just too much as I am soon looking for a loo!  Haven't tried yogurts yet for a long time but apparently they can be ok as the lactose get broken down in the process as with come hard cheeses.

Hope she gets better and you get it sorted.

x

Offline Julie C

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 01:42:17 am »
I'm wondering if reflux is at the root of all her evils...or maybe it's wheat... or maybe it's milk... sigh... I really don't know...here's why...(maybe someone can help me make sense of it?)

She's been doing lactose free milk for a week on the advice of the doctor... no vomiting. She had some toast and pasta -- although very little -- on 2 different days, and no vomiting. I was thinking this ruled out the wheat thing, but DH points out that she was super cranky after eating both these things (constantly throwing her head back)... which is true.

Yesterday, we gave her wheat (a cookie) and some cheese at supper. She threw up this morning after her bottle. She was moody and tired all day, too. I swear she's going to put a hole in her head if she doesn't stop throwing herself backwards in her chair!

A friend told me that GERD can go away when a baby learns to sit and then come back when she starts to crawl. She is starting to crawl, but doesn't seem to like it. She really only wants to try to stand. I wonder if it's because she knows it hurts?

Also, lactose intolerance is usually marked by major diarreha, right? She doesn't have that. In fact, she has semi-solid to solid DARK GREEN poop... that smells like skunk.... (sorry if this is tmi... but you know how it can be after a night of drinking draught beer? THAT'S EXACTLY how it smells... always.)

Today my parents called to say they didn't want to take her for the day (like they had planned) because they were afraid she would throw up while they were out. How sad is that?

scarlettsmom

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 01:50:05 am »

Today my parents called to say they didn't want to take her for the day (like they had planned) because they were afraid she would throw up while they were out. How sad is that?

:( :(  awww, that's too bad.  I know it's hard for others to watch babies with reflux or allergies if they aren't used to it.  It's scary and they are afraid of doing something wrong, or not knowing what to do.  Can you write out very specific instructions?  have a back up change of clothes, etc?  My parents were VERY nervous at first around DD2 (and to be fair, I was so hypervigilant and kind of a wreck about her being out of my sight I can totally understand), but what helped was me writing everything down so they had a reference and weren't afraid of forgetting anything, or being the cause of anything.

((hugs)) 

Offline Julie C

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 02:04:15 am »
Good idea about the instructions. I mentioned to my mom that DD's food needed to be very mashed/minced if it wasn't something dissolvable a while ago. (She gags very easily) My mom gave her cooked frozen peas, mashed them a bit with a fork, and she threw up.

I guess that put her off.

The sad thing is, they were planning to visit my brother. They were going to take both our kids.... our 2.5 year old was looking forward to it. They don't want to be unfair, so they're not taking either.  :(

Offline Austin's mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • My animated dancing monkey!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 03:53:23 am »
Have you taken a peek at the website RefluxRebels.com? it is really helpful to get an idea on if it could be reflux, or mspi, or both. My DS was recently diagnosed with MSPI, and has had reflux since birth. Now on Prevacid and a new formula, he is doing MUCH better!

Until he went on a hydrolysed formula, nutramigen, he was projectile vomiting (way more than the normal reflux spit up) and his diapers sound exactly like your daughters - dark dark green and extreeeeeemly stinky! I found out later, that these are both MSPI related. Have you noticed any mucous in them? or blood spots? I know its hard to see in such a dark color, but once I knew what to look for, It was easy to spot. they even have pictures (I know thats weird and gross, but actually helpful,lol) on that website.  But that is a huge indication of food allergy. After being on the new formula for about 3 days, he had his first non stinky diaper ever! Good luck, and good job looking out for your daughter!

B

Offline pamelamcgahon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 12:22:49 pm »
JulieC - our mspi symptoms were not the dihorea that is usual with the allergies, Keira was straining day and night and producing lots of hardish poops, so symptoms do vary.

As for crawling - apparently reflux can get worse at crawling as everything sloshes around and their head is down and they leave pools around the floor!  Keira wont even play on her tummy (physio reckons because of her reflux) so we're not sure if she'll crawl, although she makes attempts from sitting to grab things and lands on her hands!

As for others, such a shame about your parents worrying.  Perhaps along with the instructions should go many muslins and some easy changes of clothes.  My mum is still a little paranoid about keira puking although its rare these days as she has thick food and not alot of milk (she refuses it) and my mum usually wraps her in a muslin when feeding her the bottle and puts another over her knee!!

x

Offline Julie C

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 01:37:48 am »
Well, here's the update.

Our ped put her on Prevacid today, but he's not 100 percent convinced it's reflux. It's a 2 week trial, then we are testing for celiac.

She has not grown an inch or a pound in over a month... even her head is the same. I mentioned that she has not grown any new teeth in over 3 months (she grew 7 teeth from 4.5 months to 8 months of age), and he said he'd never heard of anything like that before.

Have any of you heard of a baby who just stopped growing everything all of a sudden?

Offline Julie C

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 01:41:41 am »
Wait! I forgot to post the AWESOME news... she is crawling and pulling up to sit... even to stand VERY easily all of a sudden. She learned soooo fast -- in about a week. Now she's a pro.

I'm pretty sure it's all connected; she has thrown up a lot less this past month than previous months.

scarlettsmom

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 02:02:34 am »
Wait! I forgot to post the AWESOME news... she is crawling and pulling up to sit... even to stand VERY easily all of a sudden. She learned soooo fast -- in about a week. Now she's a pro.

I'm pretty sure it's all connected; she has thrown up a lot less this past month than previous months.

YAY!  That's awesome!  Way to go sweet girl!!   ;D

Regarding the stopped growing all of a sudden.  Between months 2 and 4 Gwynnie actually LOST weight.  She did grow a little bit lenght wise, but just a tiny bit.  She also had very little hair. (this has ALL turned around - she is now a chubby little thing with a mane of beautiful hair).  But it was scary at first. 

Interesting they are testing for celiac.  From what i understand that can definitely inhibit growth.  Hope that the prevacid works though.  If not, it's good you have a doctor who is looking ahead.

How are YOU doing?  I know it can be overwhelming.  Are you doing ok?  Getting some down time?  I'm glad you are enjoying and celebrating your LOs incredibly milestones!!