Author Topic: Freaks out in bath  (Read 1808 times)

Offline clarym

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Freaks out in bath
« on: March 15, 2010, 13:51:34 pm »
My daughter is 22 months old and up until a couple of weeks ago loved her bubble baths.  Now she starts whining when she knows it's getting close to bath time and says "I don't wanna bath", then cries throughout the bath (quite hysterically when I wash her hair), repeating 'I peed".  She is fully aware when she needs to pee or poo and my guess is that she peed in the bath a few weeks ago and now feels she's bathing in dirty water, especially when it is "poured" over her head to rinse her hair.  Anyone has any thoughts on how I can get her over this?  I've tried using different bathtubs but no luck.

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 13:58:49 pm »
Maybe you could wash her hair separetely, like say at the kitchen faucet?  Then maybe for a while a "bath" could be just her standing in the tub, (no water in it) you wash her body and rinse her by pouring water over her body.  Maybe if you did that for a couple of weeks, and then slowly work your way up? Like one day while she is standing, run the water, then when she's ok with that, you can try to get her to sit.  Mayne bring bubbles into the bathroom, and tell her "We can only use tubby-bubbles if we sit down."   I'm all about taking things slow!   

BT..my dd went through this...I never did figure out why she got so suddenly scared, but it stopped after about 2 weeks. 

Offline brenda2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 227
Re: Freaks out in bath
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 03:28:03 am »
my lo likes showers every once in a while.  you could try that.

we also don't wash hair every night, only twice a week.  she doesn't mind the hair washing so much (she went through a stage of hating it but the shower helped, and using a wash cloth over her eyes to keep out soap) but it's a lot with long hair becasue we have to comb and thoroughly dry it or else she has a lot of tangles the next day to contend with.

Offline NoonieP

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Freaks out in bath
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 17:31:27 pm »
I had the same situation, I ended up putting LO in the tub with his socks on. He was so shocked at being in the tub with his socks on, I was able to wash him down before he even knew what was happening. Then I made a big fuss (laughing and saying I'm silly) as I "realized" his socks were still on.  "OH NO, your socks are wet, what a silly Mummy. I put you in the tub with your socks on. Oh Dear, what are wer going to do?" 

I have also taken him into the shower with me, but he doesn't like water on his face so that only when we're not washing his hair.

Another thing I discovered was this: http://www.amazon.com/My-Own-Shower-Adjustable-Showerhead/dp/B000ZOM356 I found it by accident. I was looking for another hose attachement (it helps me rinse down the shower after cleaning it) and I discovered this. It will work for my purpose and LO LOVES it. I let him shower and play in it until he pees, then I plug the drain and let the water collect. As soon as we have enough to wash hair, we turn the water off and promise to turn it back on as soon as the hair is washed.