Author Topic: How long for a dairy reaction to clear in 4 yo?  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 326
How long for a dairy reaction to clear in 4 yo?
« on: March 17, 2010, 03:27:50 am »
DS is MPI.  His last really notable reaction was when he was 2.5 and it was an accumulated reaction to having bread daily in which the last ingredient was milk.  It took us ages to sort out that this was the cause of his tummy aches and loose, odd colored poops.  For about a year we were insanely careful about ZERO milk of any kind.  Then he had some small exposures--isolated, mostly to milk in baked goods--with no notable reactions.

So, now he's 4 and we were out to eat at a Mexican restaurant and they brought us Sopopillas which had a dab of strawberry ice cream and whip cream on them and we let him eat several.   :-[ :-[ :-[ 

The next afternoon he started having loose bowel movements and now, 3 days later he's still having liquid bowel movements.  I'm not sure if this is really a reaction or a coincidence, but no one else in the family his having issues, so I'm thinking reaction.  Wondering how long to expect before it clears.  I know it can take 2 weeks for dairy to leave the body entirely, but surely the liquid bowel movements won't last THAT long?  Hoping . . .

scarlettsmom

Re: How long for a dairy reaction to clear in 4 yo?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:19:37 pm »
Hi Bethany ((((hugs)))),

Something similar just happened Gwynnie.  She had some of Scarlett's milk and cereal that was left on the counter  :-[  We saw the same thing with the loose stools, grumpiness, etc.  It took about 4 days before the stools got better, and a full week until back to normal.

I guess it would depend on the severity of the intolerance.  Sounds like your little guy is pretty sensitive like my Gwynnie, so I would look for things to get much better in the next couple of days.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.  Let us know how it goes.  And it is frustrating isn't it not knowing if he could have a cold or something else on top of it (which is possible of course).

:-*