Author Topic: Camping???  (Read 2004 times)

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:08:22 am »
DH has been pestering me about taking Caleb camping, i havent been camping in years but i cant imagine it would be very easy with a little one in tow, especially one that likes it pitch black to sleep! how on earth can this be possible, anyone else do it with their LO's?

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Camping???
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:32:01 am »
There are some threads around here somewhere, let me see if I can dig them up.  We've been camping with DD1 since she was 13 months and DD2 since she was 9 months  ;D

ETA - can't find it atm, but I know there have been a few threads.... I miss the search function  ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:56:23 am by RachelC »

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Kiwi_one

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 21:54:53 pm »
When I was 1 and my family was living in Aus, we'd go camping in the Outback: Mum, Dad, and four kids (1, 3, 5, and 7!). So obviously it is possible, although Mum thinks we were all pretty much textbook. If it's tent camping and you have a two-part tent, there might be a way to black out one part for Caleb and leave the other part of the tent for the two of you. Otherwise, is there any way you could take a van? By pulling out two rows of seat, you could convert it into living space. Then you would have a mobile blacked-out space for him and could just pull over for his naps and he'd be able to play in it during the day if you're both busy at the time and can't be running after him.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 21:57:17 pm by Kiwi_one »
Homeschooling mum to Philomena (6) - spirited/sanguine     Bernadette (4) - textbook/melancholic-plegmatic     Zelie (3) - textbook/phlegmatic     Rita (2) - textbook/choleric

...and then there were five!

Offline Manueli

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • big hugs
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:01:55 am »
Rachel, I would be interested in any old threads as well if you find them. But don't stress about it, I miss the search function a lot as well. ;)
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 07:23:35 am »
Our friends with an 18mo & 6.5yo have been camping with there children since they were born & another family (5, 3 & 4mo, just came back from a camping trip... so yes very possible!
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline RachelC

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:25:18 am »
Found it...

There are 2 more links within this link
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=141063.0

Offline Manueli

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • big hugs
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 18:04:13 pm »
Thanks a lot. We will try going some time in May. We only have a small tent but it should be ok. I don't think Hayden will mind sleeping with us, he usually loves it. We also have a nice pram where he can take all his naps in. Only for bedtime I am a bit nervous because I will have to make him fall asleep in the tent without us. If it doesn't work I am considering of getting him to fall asleep first in the stroller and move him into the tent when we go to bed. We will see... I am sure excited, I could go right now! :D
Manuela - Hayden (02 July 2009), Lukas (27 July 2011)

Offline RachelC

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 19:02:37 pm »
I've been known to lay in the tent until they are asleep and then sneak out  ;) 

Offline mums the word

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 19:38:24 pm »
We started taking our now 4 year old camping when she was about 17 months old.  She's always been an angel at bedtime so she was happy to go to bed as normal despite it being light, but didn't go to sleep on the first night until it started to get dark.  On the 2nd night she wiped straight out after a day of fresh air!  She did wake once it got light, though, at about 5.30am.  As she's got older we've been happy to let her have a slightly later night and she normally goes off ok and now sleeps in a bit later even if not quite until 7am.

Can definitely recommend giving it a go anyway.  (The first time we went we stayed fairly near to home in case of complete disaster!)  The children seem to love it with all that freedom to play outside and the adventure of it all. Go for it! :)