Author Topic: how many drinks a day is too many for a 2yr?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline stagemanager2

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Baby Samurai
    • Baby Samurai
how many drinks a day is too many for a 2yr?
« on: March 17, 2010, 23:57:07 pm »
... and when I say drinks, I mean water, juice and milk...
 ::)

anyone know?
Heather

babysamurai.flyingcart.com
babysamruai.etsy.com

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: how many drinks a day is too many for a 2yr?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 18:28:09 pm »
well I have never really thought about it TBH.  How much is he drinking in a day?  Is he eating well?

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 18:32:27 pm »
at this stage Oscar was drinking twice 8 oz of toddler formula and quite a lot of water - probably around 8-10 oz depending on activity level, weather and temperature etc...but I never held back on the water, always had it handy and he went to bed with a sippy of water in his cot from around 14 or 15 mths.....

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 19:10:41 pm »
I don't actually put a limit on how much DD drinks as her eating is great.  If she weren't eating well and drinking lots I'd assume she was filling up on liquids and cut it down. 

I'd say she has 25oz of drinks (water and milk) a day.  6oz/180mls smoothie, 80z milk at bed and the rest as water throughout the day. 

Hadn't really thought that I could be giving too much!! 

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 20:03:31 pm »
I have never heard of or read anything that states "drinks" should be limited, especially not water as it has no calories.  However, for toddlers (say age 1-3), the nutrition books I have used all say that milk should be limited to 16-24 ounces per day, and juice to 4-6 ounces per day. Anything more than that and too many calories are going to be from the wrong sources for them to be hungry enough to eat the right foods.   

I limit milk to 16 ounces per day but then yogurt and cheese is on top of that for DS (which I limit to about 1-2 oz of cheese and 4-5 tablespoonfuls of yogurt) and juice to about 2-3 ounces undiluted (but then dilute that into however much water it happens to be). 

I never limit amounts of water - no calories in it so no need to. If he's thirsty he gets water to drink and I let him dictate how much he needs.

Offline brenda2

• Showing Appreciation 227
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 20:09:44 pm »
i also give 2 cups of milk and have read to limit juice to 1 cup.  i usually give dd 2 cups of juice but watered down to equal one cup because she likes juice.  no limit on water, they should drink more if active, hot etc.

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 20:20:08 pm »
Yes I agree...no limit on water.  And just as an aside...I found out a while back that we were giving dd too much milk...with b'fast lunch and then after dinner, plus a yogurt a day...it all added up to over double the calcium that she needed for her age, and was making her constipation ALOT worse. Just food for thought!

Offline stagemanager2

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Baby Samurai
    • Baby Samurai
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 23:40:20 pm »
hmmmmm..... it seems like stan is a bit more thirsty then other babes his age... I'm more worried about there being a diabetic issue when he drinks and drinks ... yesterday he had 12oz of water for dinner and also had his 6oz of milk for bedtime.  He will finish off water like no ones business!  Juice we always water down and he'll chug that too.  He has about 16oz of milk a day as his eating is AWESOME!  .... anyway, I'll keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.... thanks everyone :)
Heather

babysamurai.flyingcart.com
babysamruai.etsy.com