Author Topic: schedule help when 3 naps too many and 2 is not enough  (Read 828 times)

Offline newmom11

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
schedule help when 3 naps too many and 2 is not enough
« on: March 21, 2010, 01:55:13 am »
okay so i need help with my almost 6 month old's schedule.  we are in an awkward stage where it seems that 2 naps are not enough and 3 naps are too many.  on the days he gets 3 naps, he often has a hard time going to bed at night and won't fall asleep until 8:30 or so (which i feel is kinda late for a 6 month old).  but on the days he only has 2 naps, he cannot make it to 7:30 w/o being really fussy and overtired and if i put him to bed earlier then 7:30, i will just get early wakings since he generally only sleeps about 10.5 hours on average at night.  any ideas?  plus, i just need help figuring out feedings...when to do bottles and solids.  our current day looks like this:

6-7am wake up...my baby wakes anywhere in the 6-7am hour.  if he wakes crying around 6am, i offer him his paci and he usually goes back to sleep.  i'd like to get him to the point where he doesn't need his paci, but if i don't go in and give it to him then he is wanting to get up and start the day.  if he wakes closer to the 7am hour, then i just leave him.  either way, he does not get out of bed till closer to 7:15
7:30 - bottle
8:30 - solids
9 or 9:30 (depending on when he woke up) nap
sleeps for about 1.5-2 hours, so usually awake by 11 or 11:30
11:30 - bottle and solids
1:30ish - bottle right before nap (my problem is this...if i want him to move to a 2 nap a day schedule, i ideally would like him to sleep till 4pm.  he usually needs to eat every 3.5 hours, so if i want him to sleep till 4, then he will need eat before his nap so he won't wake hungry early in his nap)  is that okay to feed a bottle before a nap?
1:30 -2:30pm - somewhere in this hour i put him down (depending on what time he woke from the previous nap).  here is where the inconsistency begins...some days he will sleep for 2.5 hours and won't wake till 4 or 5pm.  other days, he will only sleep for 1.5 hours and be up by 3 or 3:30.  what do i do?  if he is up by 3 or 3:30, he cannot make it to bedtime and usually wants to catnap around 5:45 or 6pm.  but if i give him the catnap then he doesn't want to go to bed until 8:30 or so.  if i don't give him the catnap, he is a mess and it makes the stretch from 3:30 - 7:30 a LONG, miserable stretch. 
5pm - solids
8pm - bottle
10pm - DF (we had dropped this, but my baby got an ear infection on the second night we dropped it and so we added it back until after he is over his ear infection). 

any ideas?  what can i do to get on a more consistent routine or a more consistent afternoon nap schedule?

thanks.

stacey

Offline *Jo*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
Re: schedule help when 3 naps too many and 2 is not enough
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:07:50 am »
Hi Stacey, looks like your LO is getting ready to drop the catnap, this happens at this age, he needs to be able to make it to 3 hours A time before that can happen though so what is best to do is to start extending the A time gently until you reach that point, take a look at this for some support and ideas: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=156696.0

sing out if you want anymore help with it :)

Offline newmom11

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 19:14:00 pm »
i guess i'm just not sure about his activity time.  he will do 3 hours sometimes and sleep for 2 hours and sometimes he will do 3 hours A time and be up 30 minutes later crying.  just don't know how to tell if he can do 3 hours w/o getting into an OT spell.  how do i know?

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 23:55:28 pm »
well im guessing he can handle one day of more than average A time but the next day its too much for him, which is hte case with some babies, Caleb can handle up to 7 hours some days but i know its not a permanant thing at all!

can you find a happy medium? like 2.5 or 2.75 hours A time and work from there, being consistant over a couple of days to see the real results?
also remember to shorten the following A time after a short nap as well

Offline newmom11

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 20:00:22 pm »
we went to 2.5 hour activity times today and i got an hour nap this morning...with a paci pop at the hour mark, it became 1.5 hours.  and this afternoon i did 2.5 hours of activity time and i got a 35 minute nap, but he rolled over after a few minutes and went back to sleep.  now i just don't know what to do...do i wake him at 3 (in order to get a third catnap) or do i risk it and see how long he sleeps.  if he slept till 4 or so then he could make it till bedtime at 7:30 or 8pm, but if he gets up before 4 then there is no way he'll make it till 8pm, but he won't want to catnap until like 6, which is way too late and will only push bedtime back.  any ideas?

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 21:55:24 pm »
I wouldve let him sleep, what did you end up doing>?